Date: 28/05/24 - 19:04 PM   48060 Topics and 694399 Posts

Author Topic: 2011 Recruiting Thread  (Read 64828 times)

October 01, 2009, 06:13:21 PM
Reply #150

sys

• Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    gmafb
I'm also getting lots of letters from Miami, Georgia, Illinois, Florida State, Clemson, Oklahoma, Kansas State, Virginia, VCU, Liberty and Tennessee.

pf levon harper.

http://kansasstate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=994992
"these are no longer “games” in the commonly accepted sense of the term. these are free throw shooting contests leavened by the occasional sprint to the other end of the floor."

October 02, 2009, 03:24:45 PM
Reply #151

sys

• Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    gmafb
glaze no longer attending school in dc area.  fails to list kstate among schools recruiting him.

http://w3.nbebasketball.com/category/teams/providence/

Glaze remarked to NBE there are no favorites at this point and listed Providence, West Virginia, South Florida, St. Joe’s, Oklahoma, UNLV, Georgetown, Ohio, Ohio State, Akron, Xavier, Maryland and Virginia as schools involved in his recruitment.
"these are no longer “games” in the commonly accepted sense of the term. these are free throw shooting contests leavened by the occasional sprint to the other end of the floor."

October 02, 2009, 08:19:37 PM
Reply #152

doom

• Muzzled Poster
  • Junior Wildcat

glaze no longer attending school in dc area.  fails to list kstate among schools recruiting him.

http://w3.nbebasketball.com/category/teams/providence/

Glaze remarked to NBE there are no favorites at this point and listed Providence, West Virginia, South Florida, St. Joe’s, Oklahoma, UNLV, Georgetown, Ohio, Ohio State, Akron, Xavier, Maryland and Virginia as schools involved in his recruitment.

Wow.  How crushed are you?

I still want my cooler, bitches!

October 04, 2009, 06:49:39 PM
Reply #153

yosh

• Senior Cub

Nino Williams commits per GPC
Cada hombre un gato salvaje!

October 04, 2009, 08:36:39 PM
Reply #154

Pett

• Premium Member
  • Junior Wildcat

• Personal Text
    Hey, basketball!!!

Offered by USC and he's only a junior in high school. Pretty good player, expect him to be a four star/top 100 player by the final 2011 rankings.

He's supposed to grow to around 6'6" & 6'7" too. :thumbsup:

October 04, 2009, 08:44:15 PM
Reply #155

yosh

• Senior Cub

Offered by USC and he's only a junior in high school. Pretty good player, expect him to be a four star/top 100 player by the final 2011 rankings.

He's supposed to grow to around 6'6" & 6'7" too. :thumbsup:

Hope your right.  Heard he's dripping with potential...

October 04, 2009, 08:57:05 PM
Reply #156

PowercatPat

• Senior Cub

Has anyone seen Nino play? What are his strengths and weaknesses?

October 04, 2009, 09:28:34 PM
Reply #157

doom

• Muzzled Poster
  • Junior Wildcat

It's been a really long time since I've seen him play
+ a lot of athleticism, plays hard the whole game, his coaches really trust/rely on him
-More a slasher than shooter

October 04, 2009, 10:06:03 PM
Reply #158

doom

• Muzzled Poster
  • Junior Wildcat

It's been a really long time since I've seen him play
+ a lot of athleticism, plays hard the whole game, his coaches really trust/rely on him
-More a slasher than shooter

Horrid video, but it was all I had in my camera with him in it. 

http://octagonofdoom.xanga.com/videos/e2e851113527/

October 05, 2009, 09:27:39 AM
Reply #159

Belvis Noland

• Cub

Saw him play at the AAU tourny in Manhattan.  He was on the MoKan Spiece team with Spradling. 

Remember looking at media guide and not seeing a whole lot of hype for this kid.  This is why I was so surprised when he looked like one of the best players on the floor. 

Don't really remember anything specifically about his game.  But, I did think he had a very nice shot.  Drained a few deep threes.  Looked like a pretty good ball handler.  All around, a very solid D-I prospect.  Very happy to see us lock this kid up.  Especially if he tops out at 6-9. 

October 05, 2009, 09:35:11 AM
Reply #160

steve dave

• Administrator
  • All American

• Personal Text
    Romantic Fist Attachment

Saw him play at the AAU tourny in Manhattan.  He was on the MoKan Spiece team with Spradling. 

Remember looking at media guide and not seeing a whole lot of hype for this kid.  This is why I was so surprised when he looked like one of the best players on the floor. 

Don't really remember anything specifically about his game.  But, I did think he had a very nice shot.  Drained a few deep threes.  Looked like a pretty good ball handler.  All around, a very solid D-I prospect.  Very happy to see us lock this kid up.  Especially if he tops out at 6-9. 

Good report BN.  But, from his HS stats, it doesn't appear that he is much of a threat from deep.  3 for 22 from three last season. 
<---------Click the ball

October 05, 2009, 09:44:00 AM
Reply #161

Belvis Noland

• Cub

Good report BN.  But, from his HS stats, it doesn't appear that he is much of a threat from deep.  3 for 22 from three last season. 

Really?  That's surprising.  Then again, I saw a very small sample size on a Saturday mogning after a night in Aggieville.  Hopefully, Spradling and McGruder primarily take care of our perimeter shooting needs.  Didn't see Sprads take many shots, though. 

October 05, 2009, 09:53:59 AM
Reply #162

steve dave

• Administrator
  • All American

• Personal Text
    Romantic Fist Attachment

Really?  That's surprising.  Then again, I saw a very small sample size on a Saturday mogning after a night in Aggieville.  Hopefully, Spradling and McGruder primarily take care of our perimeter shooting needs.  Didn't see Sprads take many shots, though. 

Frank seems to hate great shooters.  I think he's on a quest to get 12 Akeem Wrights on the roster.
<---------Click the ball

October 05, 2009, 10:05:16 AM
Reply #163

Legore

• Premium Member
  • Cub

Frank seems to hate great shooters.  I think he's on a quest to get 12 Akeem Wrights on the roster.

He recruits athletes first and shooters second.  It is the same thing that Huggins does.  If we can get a great shooter that is also athletic I'm sure we'll try but those guys are kind of hard to get. 

October 05, 2009, 10:15:12 AM
Reply #164

catzacker

• Junior Wildcat

• Personal Text
    Fear the Brick

He recruits athletes first and shooters second.  It is the same thing that Huggins does.  If we can get a great shooter that is also athletic I'm sure we'll try but those guys are kind of hard to get. 

no, he literally hates good shooters. got rid of both of them this year.

October 05, 2009, 10:17:03 AM
Reply #165

steve dave

• Administrator
  • All American

• Personal Text
    Romantic Fist Attachment

no, he literally hates good shooters. got rid of both of them this year.

Yeah, Buchi was pretty athletic iirc.
<---------Click the ball

October 05, 2009, 10:17:12 AM
Reply #166

mcmwcat

• Classless Cat
  • Senior Cub

• Personal Text
    Now that's how you get out a f***ing blood stain.
When I was a kid growing up in the projects, I used to dream of going into space, of escaping the slums, of killing an Ewok!

October 05, 2009, 10:49:28 AM
Reply #167

yosh

• Senior Cub

Where'd yuo see the HS stats? I thought I read an EBoss report that had him knocking down a couple threes too.

October 05, 2009, 10:52:04 AM
Reply #168

steve dave

• Administrator
  • All American

• Personal Text
    Romantic Fist Attachment
<---------Click the ball

October 05, 2009, 10:53:24 AM
Reply #169

doom

• Muzzled Poster
  • Junior Wildcat

BN, I think you are thinking of Frank Williams and not Nino.  Nino is not a shooter.  Scrappy is a good word for him.

October 05, 2009, 10:53:37 AM
Reply #170

Pete

• Administrator
  • Scout Team Wildcat

• Personal Text
    Hicks
Pett said the thought Nino would end up top 100.  Is that legitimate?  If so, then great "get."  Anytime you can get a kid local who is rated that high you have to do it, IMO.

October 05, 2009, 12:01:30 PM
Reply #171

doom

• Muzzled Poster
  • Junior Wildcat

Pett said the thought Nino would end up top 100.  Is that legitimate?  If so, then great "get."  Anytime you can get a kid local who is rated that high you have to do it, IMO.

But the tards think everyone we get will be top 50 and 4 or 5 star.  I will wait till he moves up in some rankings before I believe he is that high.  Any idea who his offers were from?  I read he was getting a lot of good ones from pac10 and big12 but no one had them listed specifically. 

October 05, 2009, 12:18:06 PM
Reply #172

Pete

• Administrator
  • Scout Team Wildcat

• Personal Text
    Hicks

But the tards think everyone we get will be top 50 and 4 or 5 star.  I will wait till he moves up in some rankings before I believe he is that high.  Any idea who his offers were from?  I read he was getting a lot of good ones from pac10 and big12 but no one had them listed specifically. 

He has one other formal offer, from USC. 

October 05, 2009, 12:23:06 PM
Reply #173

Butt Fugly

• Cub

• Personal Text
    RIP
I love his name.   :love:

October 05, 2009, 01:07:09 PM
Reply #174

michigancat

• All American

• Personal Text
    You can't be racist and like basketball.
Pett said the thought Nino would end up top 100.  Is that legitimate?  If so, then great "get."  Anytime you can get a kid local who is rated that high you have to do it, IMO.

as others have noted, frank and co. have generally been pretty solid w/ early offers.  I wouldn't be surprised if he stays in Spradling territory, but I wouldn't be surprised if he snuck in to the top 100 either.  (keep in mind, this is only based on our staff's early offer history - I haven't seen him play).

October 05, 2009, 08:26:04 PM
Reply #175

doom

• Muzzled Poster
  • Junior Wildcat

I hate the &@#%er, but Kellis put up some stuff on Nino after actually making a phone call.  Good stats and opinions from his high school coach. 

October 05, 2009, 09:01:51 PM
Reply #176

mcmwcat

• Classless Cat
  • Senior Cub

• Personal Text
    Now that's how you get out a f***ing blood stain.
I hate the fracker, but Kellis put up some stuff on Nino after actually making a phone call.  Good stats and opinions from his high school coach. 

Other stats on Williams: He shoots 73 percent from the free-throw line, he is a 30 percent 3-point shooter and he leads the team in fouls.

accurate stats?
http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/n3rHrh4Ouk-4YGeTvHm-HA/basketball-winter-08-09/stats-nino-williams.htm
When I was a kid growing up in the projects, I used to dream of going into space, of escaping the slums, of killing an Ewok!

October 05, 2009, 09:13:55 PM
Reply #177

yosh

• Senior Cub

I hate the fracker, but Kellis put up some stuff on Nino after actually making a phone call.  Good stats and opinions from his high school coach. 

You should copy & paste rather than driving traffic to Eagle.  Just sayin.

October 05, 2009, 09:18:33 PM
Reply #178

Pett

• Premium Member
  • Junior Wildcat

• Personal Text
    Hey, basketball!!!

October 05, 2009, 09:30:55 PM
Reply #179

doom

• Muzzled Poster
  • Junior Wildcat

You should copy & paste rather than driving traffic to Eagle.  Just sayin.

Frank Martin adds two recruits

It looks like Kansas State men’s basketball coach Frank Martin had a successful recruiting weekend.

Nino Williams, a 6-foot-5 guard out of Leavenworth, has verbally committed to join K-State in 2011. And according to zagsblog.com Shane Southwell, a 6-foot-7 guard out of New York has committed to K-State for 2010.

Both are three-star recruits according to rivals.

I just got off the phone with Leavenworth high school boys’ basketball coach Larry Hogan, and he said Williams will be a good addition to K-State.

“It’s going to be a good fit for him,” Hogan said. “Coach Martin was out here in the gym a few weeks ago and I think that pretty much sealed the deal.”

As a junior, Williams averaged 16.6 points and 7.2 rebounds per game for Leavenworth. Both stats led the team, and Hogan said Williams is capable of doing the same at the next level.

Hogan likes the way Williams can both attack the basket and shoot the 3. He said Williams is always in the gym, practicing his game, and that the release of his jump shot is faster than anyone he’s ever coached.

Put all those skills together, and it’s not hard to see why Hogan believes Williams could be the best player to come out of Leavenworth since Kansas All-American Wayne Simien (the last Leavenworth player to lead the team in both scoring and rebounding).

“You don’t go into the Sunflower League, lead your team in scoring and get seven rebounds per game without being aggressive and having some ability,” Hogan said. “He has all the tools. He can run, he can jump and he can shoot. He’s capable of scoring all over.”

Other stats on Williams: He shoots 73 percent from the free-throw line, he is a 30 percent 3-point shooter and he leads the team in fouls.

Hogan said that wasn’t a bad thing.

“He loves to play,” he said, “and he’s not afraid to go at the basket or step outside and shoot. He will do it all.”

Williams is a senior at Leavenworth, and if he doesn’t join K-State until 2011 he will need to spend a year in prep school in between.

Southwell chose Kansas State after visiting last weekend

“I’m committing to Kansas State University,” Southwell told zagsblog.com. ”I actually made it Friday but I probably knew that I was going to this school since early September.”

He continued.

“The whole campus is beautiful. The teammates were great, the coaching staff was great. The fans were crazy. They love their basketball and their football.”

Interesting note:  His first draft of this only had the paraphrased stuff about southwell and where Nino and southwell were from.  I left a comment about how he should add new info and try to break the news before other people.  I also left a long list of people to call including player coaches.  I came back a couple hours later to find the part about Nino's coach and my comment was deleted. 

I really like Meek's update.  So Will Nino graduate from Leavenworth or will he need to go prep?  Did his not getting credits make him a junior again?  This will not take any time away from him?