Author Topic: why not Jim?  (Read 19833 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: why not Jim?
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2011, 11:08:36 AM »
I wouldn't even say that I'm on the bandwagon now, but I'm not sure our options are real bright, and I'm willing to stay content IF Cosh is unmercifully fired.

Our options will never be "real bright" at KSU.  I don't know what kind of coach you think effing around with Snyder for a few more years will get us that we couldn't get right now.  And when the most batcac crazy coach in history matches our legend's record, we might as well take another risk.

I guess we should just stand pat until Snyder is terminated then.  Cool, lock thread mods.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2011, 11:09:08 AM »
I wouldn't even say that I'm on the bandwagon now, but I'm not sure our options are real bright, and I'm willing to stay content IF Cosh is unmercifully fired.

Our options will never be "real bright" at KSU.  I don't know what kind of coach you think effing around with Snyder for a few more years will get us that we couldn't get right now.  And when the most batcac crazy coach in history matches our legend's record, we might as well take another risk.

I guess we should just stand pat until Snyder is terminated then.  Cool, lock thread mods.

no, because what we're getting now is about as bad as it gets.  Taking a risk could lead to something much better, but couldn't be much worse.

catzacker

« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2011, 11:09:50 AM »
Do we have any options besides RP and OBz?  

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2011, 11:11:34 AM »
I am all for

High Risk / High Reward

I think KSU should always make that kind of hire.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2011, 11:13:55 AM »

We are going to be paying them both, why not just get rid of OBz and let Ron try again
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2011, 11:16:51 AM »

Good.  It's depressing only debating who sucks more between RP and OBz.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2011, 11:22:03 AM »

Our options will never be "real bright" at KSU.  I don't know what kind of coach you think rough ridin' around with Snyder for a few more years will get us that we couldn't get right now.  And when the most batshit crazy coach in history matches our legend's record, we might as well take another risk.
I don't know what kind of coach you think we could get now. I don't think we could even get a coordinator from a good program.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2011, 11:26:39 AM »

I guess we should just stand pat until Snyder is terminated then.  Cool, lock thread mods.

no, because what we're getting now is about as bad as it gets.  Taking a risk could lead to something much better, but couldn't be much worse.

But Snyder isn't going anywhere.  At least not next season.  So let's try and get a DC who might be able to recruit 1 or 2 Florida kids and if we crash as bad as expected, Snyds will step aside or at least the seeds will be planted that it's time for him to go, and we won't have to watch Cosh's defense or WRSOAT.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2011, 11:37:05 AM »
But Snyder isn't going anywhere.  At least not next season.  So let's try and get a DC who might be able to recruit 1 or 2 Florida kids and if we crash as bad as expected, Snyds will step aside or at least the seeds will be planted that it's time for him to go, and we won't have to watch Cosh's defense or WRSOAT.

Thanks for being realistic.  I'm all for BBSing being about discussion and all that, but the ONLY chance of Snyder being gone is if he retires again in the next few weeks.  There is no way he'll be fired this year, or even next year, even if he goes 0-12. 

To me the only realistic high hopes expectation is that the coaching spot that is already open will be filled by Leavitt.  Then hopefully another coach or two moves on or retires and maybe Leavitt convinces Snyder to bring in a guy or two that used to work with him at South Florida. 

catzacker

« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2011, 11:39:37 AM »
snyder's old, he could die. 

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2011, 11:42:50 AM »

fingers crossed

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2011, 11:44:24 AM »

This is probably Currie's dream scenario.  Gets rid of Bill without pissing anyone off, gets to hire his own coach, and won't have to divide the fan base doing it.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2011, 11:49:58 AM »
Snyder is not leaving anytime soon. 

All I am saying is when he does we need to make a high risk / high reward hire.  A HCIW is not (IMHO) a good move for KSU, which is why I don't really want Leavitt at all.  I think the only reason he would come is because he thinks he will get the HC job eventually.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2011, 11:54:55 AM »

All I am saying is when he does we need to make a high risk / high reward hire.  A HCIW is not (IMHO) a good move for KSU, which is why I don't really want Leavitt at all.  I think the only reason he would come is because he thinks he will get the HC job eventually.

Yeah, I don't want a former BCS head coach who built a program with recruiting ties in Florida to take over the worst defense we have ever had if there is a risk he would want the head coach job at some point.  Let's stand pat and see where this plays out.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2011, 12:24:38 PM »

Yeah, I don't want a former BCS head coach who built a program with recruiting ties in Florida to take over the worst defense we have ever had if there is a risk he would want the head coach job at some point.  Let's stand pat and see where this plays out.
I agree that hiring Leavitt is the safe, temporary way to help the program.  I just don't like it because I think more drastic changes are necessary.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2011, 12:34:12 PM »

I agree that hiring Leavitt is the safe, temporary way to help the program.  I just don't like it because I think more drastic changes are necessary.

It's better than nothing.  I actually think the pros outweigh the cons by quite a bit.  Currie isn't going to be bullied by a former headcoach into giving him the HCIW job.  So, bring him and offer him a shot at rehabbing his rep.  If he puts together a top 20 defense and starts recruiting while building a staff under him, consider him for HC.  If he doesn't, he can leave when Bill finally does.

Right now, canning a bowl game coach who built your program and has his name on your stadium to go make a "high rish-high reward" hire would make the job at KSU so poisonous we couldn't even get Dave Bliss to take it.

We are stuck with Bill right now, so let's rearrange the deck chairs and see if it helps.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2011, 12:41:01 PM »
Agreed. There is no reason you have to tab Leavitt HCIW to get him here. He likely needs another opportunity to get another head coaching job in he future anyway, and significant improvement with our defense (not like it would be difficult) would do that. He only needs to look at Koenning getting a huge pay raise after his year here as evidence that it wouldn't be a bad move.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2011, 12:44:03 PM »
leavitt would come. our defense would get better, because getting worse would be impossible. all the powertards would hail him as the next ksu savior. he'd be the next head coach cause he'd be the easy hire for currie who in all likelihood wants to rock the boat as little as possible and get the shazbot! out of manhattan. we'd then be stuck w/ leavitt and a 5-7 football team every year. do not want. go broke or go home. eff leavitt.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 12:47:42 PM by Rick Daris »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2011, 12:46:00 PM »
It's better than nothing.  I actually think the pros outweigh the cons by quite a bit.  Currie isn't going to be bullied by a former headcoach into giving him the HCIW job.  So, bring him and offer him a shot at rehabbing his rep.  If he puts together a top 20 defense and starts recruiting while building a staff under him, consider him for HC.  If he doesn't, he can leave when Bill finally does.

"Leavitt:  Better than nothing."  Should be a nice companion to Bill's "Slightly Better Than Prince" tour.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2011, 01:02:46 PM »
It's better than nothing.  I actually think the pros outweigh the cons by quite a bit.  Currie isn't going to be bullied by a former headcoach into giving him the HCIW job.  So, bring him and offer him a shot at rehabbing his rep.  If he puts together a top 20 defense and starts recruiting while building a staff under him, consider him for HC.  If he doesn't, he can leave when Bill finally does.

"Leavitt:  Better than nothing."  Should be a nice companion to Bill's "Slightly Better Than Prince" tour.

Because it sucks, doesn't make it any less of a reality.

This is a chance at someone who KSU wouldn't normally have a shot at.  I hope Currie and Snyds realizes this. 

A vote against JL is a vote in favor of CC.

catzacker

« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2011, 01:05:46 PM »
leavitt would come. our defense would get better, because getting worse would be impossible. all the powertards would hail him as the next ksu savior. he'd be the next head coach cause he'd be the easy hire for currie who in all likelihood wants to rock the boat as little as possible and get the shazbot! out of manhattan. we'd then be stuck w/ leavitt and a 5-7 football team every year. do not want. go broke or go home. eff leavitt.

this. in all likelihood Greg Robinson will be available in about 4 hours.  Hire him, Bill.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2011, 01:06:38 PM »

This is a chance at someone who KSU wouldn't normally have a shot at.  I hope Currie and Snyds realizes this.  

pretty we'll always have a shot at disgraced, fired, former head coaches to be assistant coaches.  Was Leavitt working anywhere this year?  No?  OK.  Thanks.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2011, 01:27:10 PM »
If Rich Rod pulls a dante stallworth tonight after their bowl game would he still be out of our reach?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2011, 02:25:33 PM »
If Rich Rod pulls a dante stallworth tonight after their bowl game would he still be out of our reach?

I would like.  Seriously, at this point it is clear that our ceiling as a program is CU under Gary Barnett with T-Tech under Leach being at the bottom end of the right side of the bell curve.  There was not room to daydream too much, but I would put Rich Rod in the Leach range.  Patterson is still the dream.

Leavitt is right in the fat, gelatinous center of the bell curve bringing a perpetual losing record in conference.

I've included BV as a "big reward/big risk."  Feel free to improve upon this graphic.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2011, 02:37:19 PM »

This is a chance at someone who KSU wouldn't normally have a shot at.  I hope Currie and Snyds realizes this.  

pretty we'll always have a shot at disgraced, fired, former head coaches to be assistant coaches.  Was Leavitt working anywhere this year?  No?  OK.  Thanks.

Cool, let's take a look at the others you had in mind....