Author Topic: Rekindling the previously kindled NEW COURT DESIGN discussion  (Read 147567 times)

Offline skycat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Rekindling the previously kindled NEW COURT DESIGN discussion
« Reply #600 on: August 30, 2011, 12:34:29 AM »
it's a really good design.  the bad elements, the uglyass powercat and the shitty briggs logo are all but mandatory.  maybe twenty years ago some brave kstatriot could have ended our iowan invasion in it's infancy, but it's too late now.

I don't understand why a lot of people here don't like the Powercat. It's one of the best logos in college sports, imo. Better than Iowa's logo, which is good too.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: August 30, 2011, 12:39:14 AM »
Powercat is fine.  It is not the villain in all of this sys, stop trying to make it the villain.   :dubious:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: August 30, 2011, 12:53:11 AM »
Quote from: The Mockery
Staff reports

Although basketball practice is more than six weeks away, Kansas State introduced a newly-designed and refurbished basketball court at Bramlage Coliseum Monday morning.

The Robbins All-Star Plus floor, which was originally purchased and installed in 2004, received a new court design to incorporate the athletic department's new branding effort, while it was completely overhauled to replace broken pine boards and locking clamps that are used to hold the 290 (6x8) panels together. 

"We are pleased with the new design of the court," said athletics director John Currie.  "Our staff worked through several concepts, and with input from both basketball staffs, we were able to unanimously create something that our fans will enjoy for years to come. I want to thank Dave Smoller, Ron Cook, Casey Scott and Scott Garrett, among others, for all their hard work and dedication on this project."

The floor was sanded down to bare wood and new graphics and court designs were painted to include not only the new design, but also new NCAA rule changes.  The men's and women's basketball teams will now use the same 3-point distance (20 feet, 9 inches), while the men have added a restricted-area arc under each basket.

The design centers on a purple octagon shape that surrounds the floor with a lone purple Powercat at center court. The shape echoes the octagonal design of the building. The "K-State" word mark is prominently found at the top of center court and again under both baskets with the athletics website (www.kstatesports.com) and the new university mark alternating at both ends of the baseline.  Bramlage Coliseum is written at the bottom of center court directly opposite the "K-State" word mark.  The floor maintains its purple lanes, but there is now a darker stain to mark each 3-point line. The Big 12 logo is displayed within each 3-point arc.

The design was a collaboration of several athletics department staff members led by Dave Smoller (director of creative services), Ron Cook (graphics designer), Scott Garrett (assistant athletics director for ticketing, fan experience and sales) and Casey Scott (associate athletics director/athletics operations). Both Smoller and Cook submitted between 10-12 court designs for review.  After gaining input from the men's and women's basketball coaching staffs, elements from different designs were incorporated into the finished product. 

The refurbishment was a necessity after seven years of use. The floor is typically removed an average of six times a year to accommodate various university and public events.  It is common for gaps between the boards to occur over time, as the hardware and mechanisms that hold the floor together start to loosen.

The refurbishment was done at a cost of $39,000. The project, which was done at Robbins Sports' factory in Appleton, Wis., took about four weeks to complete with the floor being removed on July 22.

Appleton, WI. is not very far from me   :emawkid:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 08:19:49 AM by SkinnyBenny »
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Andy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: August 30, 2011, 03:04:40 AM »
was a little surprised at some of the names involved in the design
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 09:47:31 AM by Andy »

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: August 30, 2011, 05:24:43 AM »
with some wood stains they can get lighter over time.

I like it.  I would rather have the briggs logo by the photogs and a Tex signature where the current briggs logo is.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: August 30, 2011, 05:39:40 AM »
Briggs logo is an abortion and laughably small timey.

Power cat in the middle is lame but idk what else they could put there

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: August 30, 2011, 06:42:45 AM »
Briggs logo is an abortion and laughably small timey.

Power cat in the middle is lame but idk what else they could put there

The basketball wearing the shades in this video that SB posted would fit really well right in the center.

Still worth noting that the 2-tone wood is bad, and pretty reminiscent of when we tried to be fashionable here, too:

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: August 30, 2011, 06:50:41 AM »
I guess they could do

k
  s
     u

Interlocked or something.  Would be better than the powercat.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: August 30, 2011, 06:55:01 AM »
:lol:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: August 30, 2011, 08:10:16 AM »
this floor looks pretty good.  much better than what we had.  i'm not a big fan of the dark stain parts but in the grand scheme of things I don't hate them either.  the octogon purple paint is a fun touch.  the powercat being smaller is great.  briggs sucks but it's no different than ku having russell stover crap all over their place.  wish we could make briggs have a logo that didn't look like it was designed by a k-mart cashier during one of his 15 minute smoke breaks.

overall i'd give this effort a B+

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: August 30, 2011, 08:15:16 AM »
go back to kstatefans.  all of you.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: August 30, 2011, 08:15:58 AM »
this floor looks pretty good.  much better than what we had.  i'm not a big fan of the dark stain parts but in the grand scheme of things I don't hate them either.  the octogon purple paint is a fun touch.  the powercat being smaller is great.  briggs sucks but it's no different than ku having russell stover crap all over their place.  wish we could make briggs have a logo that didn't look like it was designed by a k-mart cashier during one of his 15 minute smoke breaks.

Yes it is, ours is on the court.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: August 30, 2011, 08:38:41 AM »
this floor looks pretty good.  much better than what we had.  i'm not a big fan of the dark stain parts but in the grand scheme of things I don't hate them either.  the octogon purple paint is a fun touch.  the powercat being smaller is great.  briggs sucks but it's no different than ku having russell stover crap all over their place. wish we could make briggs have a logo that didn't look like it was designed by a k-mart cashier during one of his 15 minute smoke breaks.

ku's russell stover crap looks dumb.

our briggs looks dumb.

if you want to split hairs on dumbness levels, feel free.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: August 30, 2011, 08:41:31 AM »
this floor looks pretty good.  much better than what we had.  i'm not a big fan of the dark stain parts but in the grand scheme of things I don't hate them either.  the octogon purple paint is a fun touch.  the powercat being smaller is great.  briggs sucks but it's no different than ku having russell stover crap all over their place. wish we could make briggs have a logo that didn't look like it was designed by a k-mart cashier during one of his 15 minute smoke breaks.

ku's russell stover crap looks dumb.

our briggs looks dumb.

if you want to split hairs on dumbness levels, feel free.
Yes, but everyone looks at AFH and expects it to look like crap.  People look at our gray Elites and expect excellence.  Then they see the Briggs logos.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: August 30, 2011, 09:02:37 AM »

i think if they could've made the powercat even smaller and black and fit it entirely in the center of the circle and then somehow forced briggs (maybe by giving them 20 trillion more ahearn fund points) to use an all black logo as well it would look amazing. the thing is that you have two basketball coaches, an athletic director and for some reason a used car salesman that all have a say in what it looks like and have to sign off on it.

i do feel good about being on the right side of this debate though. i look around at the people sitting at my table and it's myself, sys, michigancat and clams and then i look over at the other table and it's not even a table. it's just an unzipped sleeping bag thrown on the floor that has been set up in the corner with skinny benny and a few other people sitting on it and skinny benny is picking his boogers and wiping them on the bottom of this shoe. have fun over there. my table will take another round of 17 yr balvenie. neat. thanks.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 09:05:21 AM by Rick Daris »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: August 30, 2011, 09:04:06 AM »
I'm on the good side of the table as well dillhole  :dubious:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: August 30, 2011, 09:04:48 AM »
 :love:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: August 30, 2011, 09:06:56 AM »
I'm on the good side of the table as well dillhole  :dubious:

sir. excuse me. can i get a round for my friend and an extra chair as well. thanks. yes go ahead and put it on my chase sapphire.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: August 30, 2011, 09:08:36 AM »
 :embarrassed:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: August 30, 2011, 09:18:59 AM »
The octagon, given the way nearly everything else looks, is like a rapist using a condom.

No, it's more like getting banged by George Clooney a little rougher than you would have liked. Sure you're a little sore, but the fact that it was george clooney makes it all worth it.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: August 30, 2011, 09:24:12 AM »
despite my best efforts over the past 5+ years to kill the association with the powercat for the basketball program, i've clearly failed.  but i knew i would have a hard time killing the powercat.  so, i'm not too mad that the powercat contingent has won.  i find a minor victory because the powercat is smaller. 

Offline skycat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: August 30, 2011, 09:24:57 AM »
Alright. What this needs is a good KSTATEO photoshop. Who is going to step up to the plate?

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: August 30, 2011, 09:37:55 AM »
The court isn't bad.  The court design isn't what pisses me off.  It's that some fan of the school photo-shopped this:

...And the university couldn't match it or top it.  The Briggs logos makes me feel like Ttech too, which feels awful.  If Frank starts coaching in a Briggs polo we'll know it's all over.
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: August 30, 2011, 09:39:04 AM »
Here's what the Phog came up with.

I do really like the Frankenberry ad.  Would take.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: August 30, 2011, 09:41:11 AM »
i giggled. we are so blessed.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles