Author Topic: 2011 Recruiting Thread  (Read 455736 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Recruiting Thread
« Reply #2950 on: August 26, 2011, 12:37:32 PM »

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: August 27, 2011, 04:56:25 PM »
Damn Calhoun. Kris Dunn? Pfffftt. Give me Drummond. Now.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1256809

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: November 09, 2011, 02:52:35 PM »
/sticky

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: December 12, 2011, 11:12:58 AM »
A 6'6" guy with a center's game?  No thanks, we showed one of thse types the door.

Are you seriously trying to compare a guy who was 6'4" 195 during his final yr of HS ball to a guy who's already 6'6" 245 BEFORE his Sr yr has even begun? Even though Sutton did primarily play in the post before he went to prep school, I don't think anyone expected him to be a post player in DI ball due to his lack of height and overall body mass. Compounding his physical limitations to becoming a post player was the fact that he was an inconsisten finisher around the rim, particularly in traffic. If Dom had anywhere near the touch or finishing ability of David Hoskins, I firmly beleive he would be staying at KSU.

A far more accurate comparison to Gipson would be Ron Anderson because both are slightly undersized height wise but possess wide frames which would allow each to create space in the lane, and hopefully allow them to be effective in the post on both ends of the floor.  Unlike Sutton, both had/have a realistical projection of being a post players in high major ball, The primary difference between Anderson and Gipson before they reached college is that Anderson was chubby and out shape when he came to KSU in the Fall of 07. He was listed at 6'8" 260 but I don't think he's any taller than 6'7". Gipson right now has a man's body and it looks like he's already been involved in a college weight program the past couple years. For Gipson's sake, I hope he displays more intensity, fire, and is able to establish more of a physical presence than Anderson ever did in his time at KSU.

As Bossi alluded to in his comments, he believes Gipson projects as a "niche player" in the B12, ie a banger/enforcer type who works to create space for himself and his teammates in the lane and who finishes when given the opportunity down low. Just to give you an example of a current B12 player who has found success in a similar role, he reminds  me of Marshall Moses from Oklahoma St, minus Moses's tendency to cheap shot of course, but that's not always a terrible thing, IMO.

great call here by UW. :thumbs: 
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: December 12, 2011, 11:24:30 AM »
UW is the absolute best.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2955 on: December 12, 2011, 11:27:51 AM »

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: December 12, 2011, 11:34:43 AM »

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: December 12, 2011, 11:55:41 AM »
but how do we know he's not tom light?  :dunno:

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: December 12, 2011, 01:09:51 PM »
Sorry to disappoint you Daris, but no Tom Light phog influence here, just a regular full-blooded EMAW like most other folks on here.  :ksu:

I must admit though, that Gip's impact and offensive ability really have been a pleasant surprise, to me at least. I was buying into more of the "niche player" talk, for the early part of his career at least, but his play so far has already surpassed that. I just hope he can maintain his high level of play through conference season and the rest of the year, we are going to need it.

Then beyond that, who knows where he can take his game(20 and 10 his JR yr ?), just hope he keeps working hard to get there.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: December 12, 2011, 01:17:34 PM »
I must admit though, that Gip's impact and offensive ability really have been a pleasant surprise, to me at least. I was buying into more of the "niche player" talk, for the early part of his career at least, but his play so far has already surpassed that. I just hope he can maintain his high level of play through conference season and the rest of the year, we are going to need it.

You aren't the only one. I thought he'd be a solid contributor, but not anything (especially scoring) that he's been so far.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: December 12, 2011, 01:23:44 PM »
Marshall Moses???, Pfffft.

We're talking the next Wayman Tisdale here.

OK, so that's getting carried away, but that's what some folks in Sec 18 have taken to calling him. Goofy and ridiculous, no doubt, but still fun.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: December 12, 2011, 01:24:43 PM »

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: December 12, 2011, 01:28:20 PM »