Author Topic: 2011 Recruiting Thread  (Read 446892 times)

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Recruiting Thread
« Reply #1000 on: July 05, 2010, 02:14:59 PM »
Meek with the premium info.

Nino to enroll.

http://cjonline.com/sports/basketball/2010-07-05/williams_to_enroll_at_ksu

LOL

"Obviously with the Sutton situation, that has changed the whole outlook and has given him an opportunity now to be on the team, which kind of changed overnight," Zeck said. "He's pretty excited. He had to go in and change his whole mindset, from possibly sitting out or redshirting to now having opportunity to play and earn minutes."

No, it was pretty much figured out months ago by BigCat and SuperG of goEMAW.com fame.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 02:18:06 PM by Pete »

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: July 05, 2010, 02:21:31 PM »
I'm slightly hungover so help me out here. How does this change our numbers for the 2011 class. Assuming Omari is in and then assuming Omari is out. 

We lose Kelly and Pullen right?  So if Omari comes in we have one ship for 11 and two if he doesn't?  That right?

Unless we ditch Russel or Irving.

Seems like we are full, and Omari has no spot in the '10 nclass.  For '11 we'll have Jake and Curtis' spots....so two to fill for the 11 class.  :dunno:

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: July 05, 2010, 02:33:09 PM »
If Juevol isn't a fairly solid contributor this season I could see that spot opening up too.  If Irving and Sprads outplay him he'll likely be transferring to be closer to family.
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: July 05, 2010, 04:13:57 PM »
Is it pretty certain that we're going to tell Omari to keep on moving?

Offline KSUBrian

• Combo-Fan
  • Weird Robert is #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: July 05, 2010, 04:28:23 PM »
Any chance that since Nino is in-state, he can pay his own way this year and then be on 'ship next and we can still take Omari?

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: July 05, 2010, 04:38:53 PM »
Any chance that since Nino is in-state, he can pay his own way this year and then be on 'ship next and we can still take Omari?

Not happening fellas

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: July 05, 2010, 04:44:27 PM »

pfffft, the only way we get both is if we can convince Omari to go juco for a year and come next year, any body know who else omari was looking at to transfer to?
I'm purple down

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: July 05, 2010, 05:44:33 PM »

pfffft, the only way we get both is if we can convince Omari to go juco for a year and come next year, any body know who else omari was looking at to transfer to?

USC.

yoga-like_abana

« Reply #1008 on: July 05, 2010, 06:37:19 PM »
Yeah you have a better chance at passing a breathalyzer than that happening.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: July 05, 2010, 09:10:20 PM »

What happened to RichConnecticutBoosterCat?

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: July 06, 2010, 07:28:24 AM »

He was make believe  :cry:

Offline Bill Clarahan

• agricultural related person
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: July 06, 2010, 11:27:07 AM »

The HORROR!!!!!11!!1!1!!

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: July 06, 2010, 12:53:37 PM »
The HORROR!!!!!11!!1!1!!

Clarahan you sly dog!  Long time no see. 

Offline Bill Clarahan

• agricultural related person
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: July 06, 2010, 01:50:41 PM »
The HORROR!!!!!11!!1!1!!

Clarahan you sly dog!  Long time no see. 

Been busy, besides no one pays heed to my posts anyhoo.  Bunch of pups

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: July 06, 2010, 05:10:38 PM »
Bossi comments on Gipson - "Gipson is a guy that we discussed quite a bit. We all love his toughness, how hard he plays and his willingness to do the dirty work. As it is, he's 6-6 and really has a center's game. Even with some improved face-up ability, I'm not sure how far up he'd go. I think he's a niche guy in the Big 12 but could be an ass-kicker in Conference USA, Mountain West etc."

Meyer and Bossi comment on Jordan Williams, who in case you missed it, is now ranked 124 nationally by Rivals:
Meyer - "Bossi has seen him more than me, but what I saw is a player with potential. He is great in transition with his athleticism and length. Looked like he can get going with his outside shot as well. Has the tools to be a defender as well. A guy we will watch closely."

Bossi - "Jordan is a very athletic wing with good size, excellent length and a nice array of scoring tools. As a pure talent, he's got a lot of room to go up. However, he has got to be way more consistent than he's been thus far."

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: July 06, 2010, 05:51:43 PM »
A 6'6" guy with a center's game?  No thanks, we showed one of thse types the door.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: July 06, 2010, 07:48:16 PM »
A 6'6" guy with a center's game?  No thanks, we showed one of thse types the door.

Are you seriously trying to compare a guy who was 6'4" 195 during his final yr of HS ball to a guy who's already 6'6" 245 BEFORE his Sr yr has even begun? Even though Sutton did primarily play in the post before he went to prep school, I don't think anyone expected him to be a post player in DI ball due to his lack of height and overall body mass. Compounding his physical limitations to becoming a post player was the fact that he was an inconsisten finisher around the rim, particularly in traffic. If Dom had anywhere near the touch or finishing ability of David Hoskins, I firmly beleive he would be staying at KSU.

A far more accurate comparison to Gipson would be Ron Anderson because both are slightly undersized height wise but possess wide frames which would allow each to create space in the lane, and hopefully allow them to be effective in the post on both ends of the floor.  Unlike Sutton, both had/have a realistical projection of being a post players in high major ball, The primary difference between Anderson and Gipson before they reached college is that Anderson was chubby and out shape when he came to KSU in the Fall of 07. He was listed at 6'8" 260 but I don't think he's any taller than 6'7". Gipson right now has a man's body and it looks like he's already been involved in a college weight program the past couple years. For Gipson's sake, I hope he displays more intensity, fire, and is able to establish more of a physical presence than Anderson ever did in his time at KSU.

As Bossi alluded to in his comments, he believes Gipson projects as a "niche player" in the B12, ie a banger/enforcer type who works to create space for himself and his teammates in the lane and who finishes when given the opportunity down low. Just to give you an example of a current B12 player who has found success in a similar role, he reminds  me of Marshall Moses from Oklahoma St, minus Moses's tendency to cheap shot of course, but that's not always a terrible thing, IMO.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 07:54:28 PM by Underdog Wildcat »

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: July 06, 2010, 07:56:43 PM »
You know the niche for a 6'6" center in the Big 12?  The last spot on the bench, that's the niche.  Neither Ron, nor Hoskins were centers in the Big 12 and Ron was so good that he's now playing at...Well, I don't know where he's playing but it ain't in the Big 12.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: July 06, 2010, 08:07:56 PM »
Yeah, you must have the missed the part about Gipson already having a B!2 ready body. He already has a chance to be a much more phsyical presence than Anderson was. As I said, think of Gipson as a Marshall Moses type player.

Moses 6'7" 230(probably no taller than 6'6"), ranked #121 nationally in 07
Gipson 6'7" 245(probably no taller than 6'6"), ranked #136 nationally in 11

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: July 06, 2010, 08:11:58 PM »
I don't believe in recruiting "niche" players.  Recruit guys you believe can be serious contributors and let them find a niche if they can't earn playing time.  Also, Moses was much more than a niche player for OSU.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: July 06, 2010, 08:24:18 PM »
No niche players huh? So you're saying the likes of Joe Mazulla and Wellington Smith for West Virginia and Willie Veasley and Ronald Nored from Butler were completely useless in their team's Final 4 runs?

And as you apparently completely ignored, Moses' Rivals ranking out of HS is remarkably close to that of Gipson's current ranking. I'll post it for you again

Moses 6'7" 230(probably no taller than 6'6"), ranked #121 nationally in 07
Gipson 6'7" 245(probably no taller than 6'6"), ranked #136 nationally in 11

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: July 06, 2010, 08:33:04 PM »
No, you don't recruit niche players.  You recruit people who you think can make significant contributions to a team.  If they end up only being a niche player, well they're a niche player then.  And Charles Barkley was of similar stature as these guys, are you suggesting that this guy is the next Round Mound of Rebound?  More likely, he's another short, wide body that might make a nice niche player in a major conference or a solid contributer in a mid major league.  Just like the article states.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: July 06, 2010, 08:46:10 PM »
Charles Barkley? We went from comparing Gipson to Marshall Moses to comparing him to Charles Barkley? Where the hell did that come from? NOBODY, I mean NOBODY was saying that until you threw it in there.

The point is Gipson appears as if he can be a solid contributor on a high major team, filling a role as the "bruiser/enforcer" that can often be overlooked or underrated.

Unless you're UNC/Duke, you HAVE to recruit niche players, we're simply not going to fill our roster with 4 and 5 star players at this current stage in our program's development, there just aren't enough to go around. Hey, I'd love to be at that level as much as anybody but right now, we have to focus on landing as many overrated/overlooked guys as we can who are capable of complementing the games of the several 4 and 5 star guys we hopefully do land.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 08:47:51 PM by Underdog Wildcat »

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: July 06, 2010, 09:04:09 PM »
You're totally right, let's give away 1 of 2 scholarships we have for '11 to a guy projected to be an enforcer and just hope we sign an actual talent with the other schollie.  :facepalm:

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: July 06, 2010, 09:14:27 PM »
Given our logjam of SOPH guards, I think there's a good chance we'll have another ship open up this Spring, which means we'll have 3 to give overall.

And apparently you are completely unaware of the Big prospects we're after in the '12 class(Cauley, Nickholas, Blair)none of whom fit the banger profile.

You might be the first person to ever say the 136th best player in the country has no actual talent but just for the record, it won't break my heart if we don't land Gipson.

However, if we do offer and subsequently land him, I sure as crap won't be doing a facepalm.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 09:17:46 PM by Underdog Wildcat »