Author Topic: CHIEFS  (Read 1504480 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: CHIEFS
« Reply #2225 on: January 14, 2013, 01:19:06 PM »
OT seems like the safest high first round pick.   I can think of very few busts and tons of success stories.   Kalil was a bit undersized for LT but he stepped in right away and played very well this year.

Who cares if its safe?  I want greatness.

Would take a very solid LT for the next 10 yrs over a Geno Smith type.

Yep.  That's what got the Ravens to win, the Seahawks to comeback, and the 49ers to blow out the Packers.  Solid Left Tackles, not great Quarterbacks.

You are absolutely correct, actually.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: January 14, 2013, 01:33:43 PM »
If there was a CB worth it, I would be ok with that route.  Its a passing league and great CBs are worth it.  Yea, the Jets suck with 2 great CBs but thats because of literally every other position.  There is no CB worth #1 though.

I prefer to trade down to mid-first and acquire more picks, preferably for next year so we have assets to trade up if need be and get a QB then. Honestly though, I can't think of one I would be super excited about next year either.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: January 14, 2013, 01:36:58 PM »
I don't get the idea that the Chiefs should trade away their first pick. In theory, it'd be great. But of all 32 teams I can't think of one that would pay for the 1st overall pick. Who would they get with it? No one's trading up for an OT. Maybe someone would trade up for Jarvis Jones. Tampa Bay needs a playmaking LB so the trade for Freeman may not be too far fetched, but that's still giving up a lot for Jarvis Jones.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 01:45:40 PM by Jakesie60 »

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: January 14, 2013, 01:38:03 PM »
Idk if we have a separate thread for the incident, but reports came out today stating that Belcher had a BAC of .17 at the time he killed himself.

I don't know the exact timeline, but that means he would have been TRASHED when the cops confronted him around 3 am

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: January 14, 2013, 01:40:22 PM »
Idk if we have a separate thread for the incident, but reports came out today stating that Belcher had a BAC of .17 at the time he killed himself.

I don't know the exact timeline, but that means he would have been TRASHED when the cops confronted him around 3 am

Probably, but couldn't help have had more to drink after his contact with the police?   Serious question, I'm not real clear on the time line of events.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: January 14, 2013, 01:42:34 PM »
OT seems like the safest high first round pick.   I can think of very few busts and tons of success stories.   Kalil was a bit undersized for LT but he stepped in right away and played very well this year.

Yep.  That's what got the Ravens to win, the Seahawks to comeback, and the 49ers to blow out the Packers.  Solid Left Tackles, not great Quarterbacks.

You are absolutely correct, actually.

Stupid argument. The left tackle had more to do with Ravens winning, Seahawks coming back, and 49ers blowing out the Packers than rough ridin' Geno Smith did.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: January 14, 2013, 01:44:18 PM »
I don't the idea that the Chiefs should trade away their first pick. In theory, it'd be great. But of all 32 teams I can't think of one that would pay for the 1st overall pick. Who would they get with it? No one's trading up for an OT. Maybe someone would trade up for Jarvis Jones. Tampa Bay needs a playmaking LB so the trade for Freeman may not be too far fetched, but that's still giving up a lot for Jarvis Jones.

I like the idea of trading it, though I agree that the value of it may not be worth it.  Part of that reason is why I want picks for the next draft. Taking the picks a year out are valued less and could be of more use in a better QB draft

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: January 14, 2013, 01:49:31 PM »

Probably, but couldn't help have had more to drink after his contact with the police?   Serious question, I'm not real clear on the time line of events.

Yes, definitely a possibility. I was just under the impression that he was passed out in his car when they confronted him and then went home after trying to sleep it off.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
CHIEFS
« Reply #2233 on: January 14, 2013, 02:22:33 PM »
We need to find out if the Packer ranking system weights positions differently, or whether they just grade each player and that's that.

If they don't weight positions differently, then all this talk about "needs" is moot, right?  These guys seem religious about "take the best available player," don't they?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: January 14, 2013, 02:39:44 PM »
We need to find out if the Packer ranking system weights positions differently, or whether they just grade each player and that's that.

If they don't weight positions differently, then all this talk about "needs" is moot, right?  These guys seem religious about "take the best available player," don't they?

I don't know.  You bolded the first part earlier.  I bolded the second part which could indicate they factor in positional need

Dorsey credits his principles of drafting and building a team to what he learned from Wolf and Thompson, including the philosophy of acquiring value in the draft. Dorsey has said the Packers have always been committed to drafting the best available player.

“Best player available. We live it,”
Dorsey told the Packers’ web site before the 2011 draft. “Our job is to find the best player we can possibly find to improve our roster. If we can make our roster as competitive as we possibly can, that’s all you can do. We’ve always been taught to stay true to the board, whatever you do, and we stay true to the board.”

Though I think they do mostly go with best available.  I remember when they took Jordy they seemed to be pretty set at WR.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
CHIEFS
« Reply #2235 on: January 14, 2013, 02:51:13 PM »
Ya, Jordy is a great example.

I am going to get some input from a few maniac Packer fans I know in Milwaukee...

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: January 14, 2013, 03:37:27 PM »
no clue what dorsey looks like, but couldn't help but picture this guy when he spoke today:

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: January 14, 2013, 03:44:20 PM »
Pretty close.

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: January 14, 2013, 03:45:43 PM »
Pretty close.

What's wrong with his face??  :dunno:

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: January 14, 2013, 03:47:20 PM »
In this picture he looks like Ron Perlman.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: January 14, 2013, 03:48:24 PM »
guy sounds like a total stud

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: January 14, 2013, 03:48:49 PM »
Pretty close.

What's wrong with his face??  :dunno:

It looks like somebody small-faced him, romney style

Offline bakerman

• Big Salt Spokesperson
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: January 14, 2013, 04:19:55 PM »

I would rather not have the boring-ness of the chiefs picking an OL in the first round either, but...

Michael Oher: 1st Round Pick 2008 Ravens
Russell Okung: 1st Round Pick 2010 Seahawks
Joe Staley:     1st Round Pick 2007 49ers

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: January 14, 2013, 04:30:05 PM »
Chiefs could always overpay for Flacco.  Someone is probably going to overpay him, might as well be us for what we paid Cassel. 

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: January 14, 2013, 04:45:51 PM »
Chiefs could always overpay for Flacco.  Someone is probably going to overpay him, might as well be us for what we paid Cassel.

Do you think the Ravens are going to get rid of him?  I don't.  For all of his supposed shortcomings, he has won a playoff game in every year he has played and next week he playing in his 3rd AFC Championship in his 5 years in the league.
:adios:

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: January 14, 2013, 04:50:29 PM »

Do you think the Ravens are going to get rid of him?  I don't.  For all of his supposed shortcomings, he has won a playoff game in every year he has played and next week he playing in his 3rd AFC Championship in his 5 years in the league.

He is an unrestricted free agent because the Ravens wouldn't extend him, IIRC.  It isn't just up to the Ravens

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: January 14, 2013, 04:59:33 PM »

He is an unrestricted free agent because the Ravens wouldn't extend him, IIRC.  It isn't just up to the Ravens

Well, I think they would be stupid to not pay him, and I would love to take him off their hands.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: January 14, 2013, 06:15:19 PM »
John Dorsey is Curry Sexton's uncle  :horrorsurprise:

Offline SabiNation

• Katpak'r
  • USA Handball - Rio 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: January 14, 2013, 07:32:34 PM »
John Dorsey is Curry Sexton's uncle  :horrorsurprise:

:sdeek:
"If i worked for the NY times, and my boss told me 'hey. if you keep ranking ksu so high, we may fire you' i would tell my boss to 'bring it on.'"  -FFF

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: January 14, 2013, 10:33:27 PM »
What exactly is Curry Sexton and why does it make me think of George Costanza