Author Topic: Come here and give mama some Suga (Bowl) hot tips  (Read 15953 times)

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
Re: Come here and give mama some Suga (Bowl) hot tips
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2022, 11:56:38 AM »
If you want to do a streetcar ride for cheap sightseeing, get on the green one and go up and back down St. Charles, not the red one that goes up and back down Canal/Carrollton.

Green one will take you to Tulane's campus (and Loyola, which is right next door). Go do that. The campuses are sweet, and Tulane's stade situ is pretty unique. New, small, strange football stadium, incredibly old but charming tiny basketball gym, and a pretty sweet college baseball stade. Also, the front entrances of Tulane/Loyola are right across St. Charles from Audubon Park, which is glorious. (Nature and/or Family fun alert!)
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2022, 12:02:09 PM »
If you want to do a streetcar ride for cheap sightseeing, get on the green one and go up and back down St. Charles, not the red one that goes up and back down Canal/Carrollton.

Green one will take you to Tulane's campus (and Loyola, which is right next door). Go do that. The campuses are sweet, and Tulane's stade situ is pretty unique. New, small, strange football stadium, incredibly old but charming tiny basketball gym, and a pretty sweet college baseball stade. Also, the front entrances of Tulane/Loyola are right across St. Charles from Audubon Park, which is glorious. (Nature and/or Family fun alert!)

the RTA app is kind of crap but it's easier than having to buy a ticket when you board.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2022, 12:03:27 PM »
Does the Superdome's ventilation system have the capacity to remove the stench of Alabama fans or are we going to be marinating in that slop for 4 hours?

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2022, 12:11:47 PM »
Does the Superdome's ventilation system have the capacity to remove the stench of Alabama fans or are we going to be marinating in that slop for 4 hours?

covid mask reuse

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2022, 12:13:31 PM »

Good rec here. Residential architecture is great also

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2022, 12:14:11 PM »

the RTA app is kind of crap but it's easier than having to buy a ticket when you board.

This guy streetcars
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2022, 12:19:04 PM »
Skinben if you made an app that would take you on stade tours in diff cities and it's like interactive and junk and shows the history of the different stades, I would download the app and upgrade to the paid version so no ads and extra stade trivia and vids and junk. Like you can go on virtual tours but also IRL tours when you're there IRL

Isn't that a good idea?

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2022, 12:21:42 PM »
Name of the app:

SB Stade Review

Get a beta version that is just Manhattan KS and New Orleans, build from there. I'll help you with KC stuff. On the KC part it will take you to where Municipal Stade was and tell you about Satchel Paige and when the Beatles played there. Also on the KC one if you go to Municipal Auditorium you can learn about all the Final Fours played there.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2022, 12:23:41 PM »
This idea is so good. Imagine our first roadie to Cincinnati, what the heck are you gonna do in that town? Open up SB Stade Tour on your device and take a walking tour of some stades. Bam, that's a delightful afternoon.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2022, 12:25:43 PM »
Lunch: Willie Mae's for the best fried chicken ever.

Dinner: Cochon for all sorts of good food options.

After Dinner: Three Muses on Frenchman is an under-the-radar place with some interesting fusion food and good (and not overwhelming) live music.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2022, 12:26:52 PM »
Any Donald Link restaurant is phenomenal:
Whole woodfired fish at Peche
Southern food at Cochon (a little fancy)
Cochon Buther is very casual and one of my fav NOLA spots.

Toup's Meatery was a revelation on my last trip.  If they still have the turkey neck, you will not regret ordering it.

If you're trying for Commander's Palace fancy brunch, you prob need to reserve now.  It was a fun experience but if you're on the fence about it, it's probably not worth it.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2022, 12:29:52 PM »
Coop's chicken is also good and in the quarter.

If you get a chance to see Andre Lovett - his voice is unique and he does not disappoint
https://www.facebook.com/andre.lovett.146

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2022, 12:32:18 PM »
Yeah I was going to post about Peche as well for non-cajun specific restaurants to try. Chemin a la Mer is always amazing. Haven't been to Miss River but heard great things. Cochon was probably the least favorite of his but I'm not a big "meat" guy.

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2022, 12:53:29 PM »
Yeah I was going to post about Peche as well for non-cajun specific restaurants to try. Chemin a la Mer is always amazing. Haven't been to Miss River but heard great things. Cochon was probably the least favorite of his but I'm not a big "meat" guy.

For the fine dining crowd, Antoine's is fantastic.
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2022, 12:56:10 PM »
Tip 2, for oysters in French Quarter, skip Acme line, stand in Felix's line across the street.

Felix is better than Acme anyway.

Offline purrkatz

• Fan
  • Realist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2022, 02:04:17 PM »
For those of you going, please be sure to speak very slow and loud to any Alabama University Pachyderm fans. I saw a very real and not fake statistic that 99.9459598% of their fans are not graduates of high school let alone THE Alabama University. This may be the first time they have seen an indoor toilet or running water for that matter. Just be kind and give them your spent crawfish heads on your way back to the Ritz or the Royal Sonesta.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2022, 03:00:05 PM »

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2022, 04:11:56 PM »
Lunch: Willie Mae's for the best fried chicken ever.

Dinner: Cochon for all sorts of good food options.

After Dinner: Three Muses on Frenchman is an under-the-radar place with some interesting fusion food and good (and not overwhelming) live music.

Willie Mae's Scotch House changed my life.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2022, 04:34:32 PM »

canco being in a 2nd line parade is the absolute cats pajamas

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2022, 05:50:51 PM »
sounds like SB needs to get us a 2nd line scheduled

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2022, 05:53:27 PM »

I might have to consider making an appearance if this happens.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2022, 09:33:15 PM »
Holy crap. A younger Pete would have died at the Sugar Bowl.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2022, 09:47:17 PM »

I don’t think that’s true anymore. In my prep for my October trip I downloaded the RTA app & watched it some, but then they released a new app called Le Pass. We bought/used our Jazzy Passes on that & it worked a lot better. Going back/forth between the Jazzy Pass screen, Map & line selection was the only glitchy thing. I remember just closing & re-opening the app instead of trying to back out back to the main screen. After a couple times getting used to that, it was pretty easy to use. The streetcar/tracking on the map was far superior on Le Pass compared to the RTA app.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 09:52:30 PM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2022, 09:58:50 PM »

if goEMAW organizes a parade pak I will most definitely get my ass to new orleans

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2022, 10:17:18 PM »
If you don't want to seem like a tourist n00b punk buster, ask for a go cup and call it a go cup.

As a longtime Madri Gras going friend told me, you can do nearly anything in the French Quarter but hit the streets with  glass container. That'll get you arrested in a blink.