Author Topic: Come here and give mama some Suga (Bowl) hot tips  (Read 15995 times)

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
Re: Come here and give mama some Suga (Bowl) hot tips
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2022, 11:08:23 AM »
Everyone should go to the WW2 museum - it's an amazing facility.

But... their approach to telling what happened is very rah-rah America and I found that a bit off-putting. I was there a few weeks ago (after having not been for about 10 years when they were transitioning from being the D-Day museum) and I'm walking by a video in one of the galleries and the hyped-up narrator says something like, "And then the American WW2 aces gunned down the Japanese and added more kills to their tallies!" This wasn't an old timey video - it was done when they did the expansion in the last few years and was too over the top. I immediately thought of Team America ("America Eff Yeah!").

That, in a nutshell, is indicative of their approach to telling the WW2 story. It's a very deliberate choice and they have executed on that choice very well. But, it's a stark contrast to other museums - the WWI museum in KC or the newly renovated Truman Museum are good local examples - which take a more contemplative approach and even challenge/question many of the decisions made - both by the U.S. and other nations.

so you'd prefer a "rah rah Nazi Germany" type of museum

Yep, exactly.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2022, 11:17:47 AM »
Rusty's going? Nice!

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2022, 12:51:31 PM »
Rusty's going? Nice!

I AM GOING

NO FAMILY JUST ME

(actually meeting my sister's family but I am mostly a free agent)

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2022, 01:41:56 PM »
hey guys, are we going to do a katpak??? skinben, where would be a good place and time for all goEMAW'ers to get together and bond over our love of Kansas State University athletics?

Natural answer is OZ given our KS roots

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2022, 02:39:17 PM »
hey guys, are we going to do a katpak??? skinben, where would be a good place and time for all goEMAW'ers to get together and bond over our love of Kansas State University athletics?

I heard 3-4 different TCU fans say "You're not in Kansas anymore" to me during the game. I wonder if the barners are gonna throw that insult at us as well.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2022, 03:07:02 PM »

I heard 3-4 different TCU fans say "You're not in Kansas anymore" to me during the game. I wonder if the barners are gonna throw that insult at us as well.
The proper response to this is “All we are is dust in the wind.”

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2022, 02:32:55 PM »
Gone with the Wind came out 5 months after the Wizard of Oz. But to my knowledge when people say they are from Georgia you never hear people respond with “frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn”.  But for whatever reason Kansas gets the distinction of 80+ year old blockbuster hit movie references.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2022, 07:18:44 PM »
Room prices are loosening up some if you haven't already gotten a non-refundable reservation. Sounds like it will continue going down a bit if you are a gambleCat

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2022, 07:30:21 PM »
Pretty sure Harrahs New Orleans has 24/7 booze drinks as long as you’re gamboolin
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2022, 07:36:31 PM »
So give ben ji some pro tips on what he should add to his schedule. Current plan is below

Friday the 30th - Land at MSY around 7, check into Hotel by Pat O'Briens then go out on the town for a bit but taking it easy.

Saturday the 31st - Wake up around 7-8am, eat some breakfast and start bar crawling towards the sugar bowl with the goal of reaching it around 11am(Any bars we should definitely stop at on the way between pat obriens and the super dome?). After game plans are to work our way back to the hotel and either take a nap or just keep boozing and go to bed at like 8pm on NYE.

Sunday the 1st - Going to the WWII museum from the late morning to afternoon ish. Afternoon is wide open so any plans here will do, maybe hit up Frenchmen street in the evening?

Monday the 2nd - Flying out around 3pm so if there if you have any suggestions for a quick mid morning activity I would appreciate it.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2022, 07:44:35 PM »
So give ben ji some pro tips on what he should add to his schedule. Current plan is below

Friday the 30th - Land at MSY around 7, check into Hotel by Pat O'Briens then go out on the town for a bit but taking it easy.

Saturday the 31st - Wake up around 7-8am, eat some breakfast and start bar crawling towards the sugar bowl with the goal of reaching it around 11am(Any bars we should definitely stop at on the way between pat obriens and the super dome?). After game plans are to work our way back to the hotel and either take a nap or just keep boozing and go to bed at like 8pm on NYE.

Sunday the 1st - Going to the WWII museum from the late morning to afternoon ish. Afternoon is wide open so any plans here will do, maybe hit up Frenchmen street in the evening?

Monday the 2nd - Flying out around 3pm so if there if you have any suggestions for a quick mid morning activity I would appreciate it.

Here is my pro-tip having been to NO dozens of times including multiple bach parties, don't lie to your self with his kind of nonsense.  Friday night, the Big Easy and you just landed....please.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2022, 07:52:17 PM »
The game kicks off at 11. I would highly recommend planning on getting to the Superdome early. It won't be sold out like a Saints game, but it will take a while to get in. Security is strict and also New Orleanians are never in any kind of a hurry...ever. Including security guards at big events. Also, there's a clear bag policy at the Superdome that they're adamant about, so if you're traveling with people bringing purses, make sure they know that in advance.

Champions Square is probably going to have something fun going on. That's the tailgate area adjacent to the Superdome. In fact according to the Sugar Bowl website, it appears they're calling it...Tailgate Town?? lolz.
https://allstatesugarbowl.org/sports/2022/4/6/tailgate-town

I'm going to try to get to Champions Square aka Tailgate Town aka Super End Zone Sugar Fun Zone probably around 9:30, maybe head into the stadium at 10:15. I'll have little kids with me though, so you could probably push it until 10:25, but I wouldn't go any later than that if seeing kickoff matters to you.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2022, 07:53:10 PM »

Here is my pro-tip having been to NO dozens of times including multiple bach parties, don't lie to your self with his kind of nonsense.  Friday night, the Big Easy and you just landed....please.
Yeah that was lol

Online KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2022, 07:56:55 PM »
We're staying Baton Rouge and driving down for Friday and Saturday activities.   Pro tips on parking for parade, pep rally, game?

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2022, 08:19:05 PM »
The game kicks off at 11. I would highly recommend planning on getting to the Superdome early. It won't be sold out like a Saints game, but it will take a while to get in. Security is strict and also New Orleanians are never in any kind of a hurry...ever. Including security guards at big events. Also, there's a clear bag policy at the Superdome that they're adamant about, so if you're traveling with people bringing purses, make sure they know that in advance.

Champions Square is probably going to have something fun going on. That's the tailgate area adjacent to the Superdome. In fact according to the Sugar Bowl website, it appears they're calling it...Tailgate Town?? lolz.

I'm going to try to get to Champions Square aka Tailgate Town aka Super End Zone Sugar Fun Zone probably around 9:30, maybe head into the stadium at 10:15. I'll have little kids with me though, so you could probably push it until 10:25, but I wouldn't go any later than that if seeing kickoff matters to you.

For some reason I was thinking the game kicked off at 1130.

Does tailgate town serve booze drinks?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 13, 2022, 08:20:36 PM »

Yeah that was lol

By easy I mean as easy as I can take it my first night in Naw Leans. Hoping to be in bed by midnight ish :pray:

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 13, 2022, 08:24:47 PM »

Yea I seriously doubt they’re actually kicking at noon, but I think that’s the official game time.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 13, 2022, 08:35:35 PM »
That game time is rough.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 13, 2022, 09:40:01 PM »
That game time is rough.

There is a legit reason a normal Sugar Bowl is the last big game of the night.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 13, 2022, 09:47:23 PM »
I'm actually glad the game is early in the day and not at 8 or 9pm, although I would prefer a 3pm kick.

The thought of going out all day then watching the katz dominate bama then having to walk back 1.3 miles to our hotel at midnight does not sound appetizing to old man ben ji.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 13, 2022, 09:55:16 PM »

Been addressed below about not being able to "take it easy" but walk downriver (right if staying same side as Pats) on Bourbon and go to Lafitte's. I've always had the best time there.

Saturday the 31st - Wake up around 7-8am, eat some breakfast and start bar crawling towards the sugar bowl with the goal of reaching it around 11am(Any bars we should definitely stop at on the way between pat obriens and the super dome?).

Erin Rose for their frozen iriish coffee. Old Absinthe House just because it feels old.

Jackson Square

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 13, 2022, 10:18:31 PM »
Room prices are loosening up some if you haven't already gotten a non-refundable reservation. Sounds like it will continue going down a bit if you are a gambleCat

We haven't sold out of our allotment of 15,000 tickets, demand doesn't seem to be what anyone anticipated.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 13, 2022, 11:03:39 PM »
I mean half the stadium was for sale before the teams were announced, anybody that's been to more than one bowl game knows not to buy through the school.

Just changed my flights to go to the Sugar Bowl Gala on Thursday night! :blacktie:

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 13, 2022, 11:28:17 PM »
I mean half the stadium was for sale before the teams were announced, anybody that's been to more than one bowl game knows not to buy through the school.

Just changed my flights to go to the Sugar Bowl Gala on Thursday night! :blacktie:

So I don’t have to pick you up at the airport?
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 13, 2022, 11:39:34 PM »

I haven't ever been before a Sugar Bowl, but it's in New Orleans, so yes.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12