Author Topic: what if avery johnston is a complete badass??  (Read 39182 times)

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
what if avery johnston is a complete badass??
« Reply #476 on: December 29, 2023, 09:01:05 AM »
I am unfamiliar with this Michael guy but this is the worst writing OAT. Just horrific to try to get through. It just keeps getting worse and worse.

https://247sports.com/college/kansas-state/longformarticle/kansas-state-football-avery-johnson-jayce-brown-DJamer-giddens-desmond-purnell-224077634/

What the eff is that? LOL!

It’s fine if you read it as a 7th grader’s English project.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: what if avery johnston is a complete badass??
« Reply #477 on: December 29, 2023, 09:24:50 AM »
I am not a violent person. I mean, I try not to be ... But I feel the urge to slap Michael Goens with aplomb.
He’d find some really choice words to incorrectly describe it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donning a superhero cape not made for real super hero, spracne delivered a slap with aplomb. And, as the kids like to say, the force was da bomb.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: December 29, 2023, 09:26:46 AM »
Pocket presence/awareness was great.

The way that he turtled up before a hit on a scramble made me wonder if he was protecting himself or if he really doesn’t want the contact

If you took away anything other than he's a badass I don't know if you should discuss football any more

I thought he was great.

I thought he would be more of a designed run player but after watching him this year those yards are going to come more from scrambles than what we’ve been used to.

Just surprised me is all because that’s not what I’m used to from a Kstate perspective.

Nc state is a really solid team with that had an opportunity for a tenth win and we put up the best offensive output anyone has all season against them.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: December 29, 2023, 09:55:41 AM »
I think our gameplan lastnight was focused pretty highly on "do not put avery in a spot to get hurt."  Which makes sense given our QB situation lastnight (i think Max Marsch was our backup). 

I think next year once Knuth is eligible and we don't have a safety in the backup qb role, we'll see a little more designed QB run/read option stuff.  but likely just a little -- I don't think we're going to see 10+ designed QB runs per game or anything like that.  Would like to see us mix in some bootleg/pa stuff next year to make linebackers second guess a bit more -- should open up things inside for DJamer in the same way read option does.  Though you don't really see much "bootleg" from the shotgun, and idk if we went under center more than 10 times this year.

Anyway, avery was really impressive lastnight.  His pocket presence/evasiveness is already leagues better than any QB K-State's had in a LONG time (maybe ever).  He really didn't make any bad decisions lastnight.

Had some misses.  Receivers weren't very helpful for a lot of the game (though KJ/Jace/Seth came up big in that last TD drive).  We missed Sinnott a lot lastnight imo.  All in all, we know he's got the talent with his arm and legs -- what we didn't know was how he'd handle himself when it comes to pocket presence/decision-making over the course of the game.  Lastnight answered the only real question i had about Avery.  He's going to be very, very good for us.  Get that boy another reliable WR and a decent enough OL, and our offense is going to be bananas.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: December 29, 2023, 10:02:44 AM »
I thought he could've scrambled one or two more times.  I do think a lot of the times he didn't was because there was a spy on him 5 yards or so past the line of scrimmage but I also think he could've made that guy miss on occasion.

That last drive was amazing.  Two TDs taken off the board and he kept the offense moving.  Absolutely no panic in him.  He's incredibly calm and smooth.  Eyes down the field the whole time.  Reads the progressions across the whole field.  He feels the pressure without focusing on it.  I love the scramble to the line of scrimmage and sideline to buy more time, only to throw it away if nothing develops.  I'd be curious to see the all-22 on some of those plays to see just how conservative he was being on all the throwaways.  I'm so glad he got a whole game of work and tape to study this offseason.

Hopefully, the WRs will get used to his darts with a full offseason of work.  I think Klieman's postgame praise is as much about advertising to transfers/recruits to come play with this guy as it was about actually praising Avery.  I would expect that we'll add a vet WR in the portal yet, although potentially in the spring.  I also think Brooks made a big mistake not playing.  He's not a solid draft pick by any means and Avery could've given him some great tape. 

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: December 29, 2023, 10:13:14 AM »
Brooks sitting out was a bit of a surprise, but I do feel like if you think you’re just on the cusp of getting drafted the worst thing you can do is get injured in a bowl game. He’s got plenty of tape already.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: December 29, 2023, 10:17:05 AM »
a guy like Brooks should have absolutely played last night.  he robbed himself going out eating sweet pop tarts, and there's no way he's getting drafted.  i love the guy and the kind of receiver/returner he is, but come on.  deuce almost didn't get drafted and brooks isn't near as electric and practically the same size at a position where you need more size.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: December 29, 2023, 10:50:27 AM »
Maybe Brooks has celiac and was worried about getting showered with the post-sacrificial remains of the Pop Tart mascot.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: December 29, 2023, 10:54:57 AM »
a guy like Brooks should have absolutely played last night.  he robbed himself going out eating sweet pop tarts, and there's no way he's getting drafted.  i love the guy and the kind of receiver/returner he is, but come on.  deuce almost didn't get drafted and brooks isn't near as electric and practically the same size at a position where you need more size.

Yeah, no NFL team is confusing him with TLBL.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 10:58:23 AM by john "teach me how to" dougie »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: December 29, 2023, 11:55:42 AM »
I am unfamiliar with this Michael guy but this is the worst writing OAT. Just horrific to try to get through. It just keeps getting worse and worse.

https://247sports.com/college/kansas-state/longformarticle/kansas-state-football-avery-johnson-jayce-brown-DJamer-giddens-desmond-purnell-224077634/
Dear God. Did he get AI help with this but messed up the transcription?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: December 29, 2023, 11:57:15 AM »

I was wondering the same but AI isn’t that shitty.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: December 29, 2023, 11:59:19 AM »

It definitely reads like he prompted ChatGPT to do a GPC write up about the game but it assumed GPC meant German or something and the guy just ran it through Google translate and hit submit.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: December 29, 2023, 12:05:39 PM »
Fitz should have to read that article out loud as punishment for publishing it.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: December 29, 2023, 12:38:15 PM »
I listened to a lot of post game chatter analysis and they absolutely told Avery to keep himself clean so to speak.

Rewatching the play I’m remembering it was maybe that very last one when we got a first down to seal it and he just turned good back to the hit to protect everything.

Seeing it live was wtf because we’ve just never seen Kstate qbs give themselves up.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: December 29, 2023, 12:40:49 PM »
His legs are elite and the short hop throw to the right end was just rushed. He could have set better for that.

The way he moves up and knows how to escape was terrific. And if he breaks zero dline will ever catch him.

This will cause linebackers and safeties to break off when he breaks the pocket

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: December 29, 2023, 12:41:49 PM »
I’m sure that’s why they had that pop pass ready to go against ncstate

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: December 30, 2023, 10:17:20 AM »
Not trying to be a cranky old person and this is not specific to Brooks but at what point does all of the "opting out" end? Like if a player realizes their team won't make the CFP 8 games into the season can they opt out of the rest of that season's games because they are meaningless opportunities to get a career-ending injury? Will participation in bowl games become a condition of NIL money? If bowl games are meaningless and not worth playing in, which games during the regular season are meaningful?

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: December 30, 2023, 11:08:12 AM »
The Phog is less than impressed with AJ.  convinced   that his ceiling is lower than Jason Bean.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: December 30, 2023, 12:01:01 PM »
The Phog is less than impressed with AJ.  convinced   that his ceiling is lower than Jason Bean.

Means they scared
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: December 30, 2023, 12:02:23 PM »

Winbush > Sproles
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 30, 2023, 12:54:06 PM »
Yeah we just replaced a QB who will probably start for either Ohio State or USC with a guy whose ceiling is 7 wins.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: December 30, 2023, 06:05:23 PM »
Not trying to be a cranky old person and this is not specific to Brooks but at what point does all of the "opting out" end? Like if a player realizes their team won't make the CFP 8 games into the season can they opt out of the rest of that season's games because they are meaningless opportunities to get a career-ending injury? Will participation in bowl games become a condition of NIL money? If bowl games are meaningless and not worth playing in, which games during the regular season are meaningful?

It will end when they are declared employees and their contracts under the CBA require them to play with the appropriate compensation and insurance safeguards for injuries.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: December 30, 2023, 06:17:54 PM »

It will end when they are declared employees and their contracts under the CBA require them to play with the appropriate compensation and insurance safeguards for injuries.

Who is going to declare them employees?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: December 30, 2023, 07:07:05 PM »
the schools unless they can get us fans to keep paying them via NIL