Author Topic: Thread for things you agree with on the "other side"  (Read 5782 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: Thread for things you agree with on the "other side"
« Reply #100 on: August 26, 2022, 03:08:19 PM »
Yeah, I’m just mad because my family doesn’t qualify. You can make over 125K and still need relief. I graduated in 2008 and have been working uphill my entire life to make a good salary, to pay off this crap. I’ll give him props tho. I’m happy he’s doing it. I just hate that he waited till midterms to do it. #commonground

You make over $250 in joco and need some debt relief?  Those straps on the sides of your boots are there for a reason

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
Thread for things you agree with on the "other side"
« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2022, 03:12:05 PM »
My lord, this thread took an unexpected fanningbrag turn rather quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2022, 03:16:46 PM »
 :gocho: I feed off my haters!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2022, 04:42:25 PM »
I still hire 70 year old dentist, because they can't retire on what they've made during said time.

lol.

Absurd. How in the eff does someone who apparently spent 40 years being completely financially irresponsible get exempted from the "work harder and pull yourself up from the bootstraps" narrative?

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2022, 06:01:13 PM »
I still hire 70 year old dentist, because they can't retire on what they've made during said time.

lol.

Absurd. How in the eff does someone who apparently spent 40 years being completely financially irresponsible get exempted from the "work harder and pull yourself up from the bootstraps" narrative?
Divorces as previously noted and it’s the #1 drinking profession, because you’re in disgusting mouths all day. Also, starting your own practice after graduation is never the way to go. I don’t see you understanding it tho.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 26, 2022, 07:04:42 PM »
$125K is 89-90th percentile for individual income.
Yeah, I sacrificed a lot to get there with a bachelors degree in communications and a MBA from University of Phoenix, while living at home. How much sacrifice have people put in that are getting hand outs?
You realize living with your parents rent free is a privilege?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Thread for things you agree with on the "other side"
« Reply #106 on: August 26, 2022, 07:35:08 PM »
If you family is making over $250k, you don't need relief. If anything the caps should have been $75k/$150k. They also shouldn't be hard caps, though. The relief should step down to zero so people just over the line don't get penalized.

i (obviously) agree that the caps are far too generous and i'll also add that it's a genuinely difficult problem to target people that might genuinely need public assistance because of how salaries scale with age.  it's obviously obscene to cancel the debts of people in the top quintile of income, but it's less obviously offensive, but just as unnecessary to cancel debt for young graduates not currently making high salaries, but very likely to do so in the future.

i will give the administration some recognition for targeting pell grant recipients for the second 10k of relief.  that's a decent, administratively easy way to at least target some of the funds towards people that at least did not come from upper middle-class and above families.
I was just having a conversation with someone about the kind of arbitrary nature of the breakdown. Based on my understanding of the income limits, tons of students coming out of professional school like business and law into high salary careers are going to luck into $10k for absolutely no principled reason, while people 1 or 2 years removed are completely locked out.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 26, 2022, 07:44:49 PM »
tons of students coming out of professional school like business and law into high salary careers are going to luck into $10k for absolutely no principled reason, while people 1 or 2 years removed are completely locked out.

yeah.  i mean, it's great that the future 1%ers that are a year or two too old to qualify are locked out, but the including those that happened to graduate at the right time effect is more universal and really dumb.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 26, 2022, 08:12:41 PM »
$125K is 89-90th percentile for individual income.
Yeah, I sacrificed a lot to get there with a bachelors degree in communications and a MBA from University of Phoenix, while living at home. How much sacrifice have people put in that are getting hand outs?
You realize living with your parents rent free is a privilege?
It was frown upon when I was doing it. Especially here. I never broadcasted it because the Trim’s on this board.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 26, 2022, 08:24:14 PM »
It was frown upon when I was doing it. Especially here. I never broadcasted it because the Trim’s on this board.

i was living in my parents' house during the time period when trim very generously gave me dozens of free kstate bball tickets.  can't recall that he ever mentioned it, certainly not negatively.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 26, 2022, 08:33:43 PM »
He literally wanted to give me crap from day 1. Knocking my intelligence and girls I was “dating” at the time. This was like 10-12 years ago tho, now. He just ignores my posts knowing that he is playing dumb & single AF in his late 40’s.

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 26, 2022, 08:35:23 PM »
You paid for a University of Phoenix MBA?  That's like the worst value degree from the worst value school

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 26, 2022, 08:41:28 PM »
You paid for a University of Phoenix MBA?  That's like the worst value degree from the worst value school
No. it was free, because I worked there. It’s credentialed too. I make mad $ now because of it.

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 26, 2022, 08:43:44 PM »
No. it was free, because I worked there. It’s credentialed too. I make mad $ now because of it.

were you a recruiter or something?  i'd be hard pressed to sleep at night...

anyway, i don't mean to crap on you too much

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 26, 2022, 08:48:18 PM »

I recruit millionaire providers on the reg.

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 26, 2022, 08:49:08 PM »

i meant were u a recruiter of students for UPhx

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 26, 2022, 09:02:48 PM »

i meant were u a recruiter of students for UOP
Yes. I recruited students that were qualified

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 26, 2022, 09:09:19 PM »
^but everyone is qualified for UPhx...it's just persuading people to give their money to a for-profit for a worthless degree...

anyway, i wish someone had recruited away the halfwit dentist i started going to...[redacted] "fixed" a filling i had no problem with in November and I've been in pain since

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 26, 2022, 09:39:28 PM »
Get it back on track. 

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 26, 2022, 09:50:41 PM »
A U of Phx MBA might not break down many doors in corporate America, which is less of an indictment of the school itself than of the elitist gatekeepers often in that circle, but the education received itself  can have great value in the workplace.

As for the loan forgiveness, the Pell Grant stipulation is a nice touch, and I agree that it won’t do much to help those truly in need. It also won’t mean much to the relatively high earners that might take advantage of it either.

My questions: where is the money coming from? And who will be footing the bill?

I don’t think it’s much more than a political ploy, but will still take part if I qualify. I have about $14 left to pay off of my own (mostly from a single semester at WSU just before covid), which I really don’t deserve forgiven.

Mrs Nicname and I have paid off ~$90k since 2020.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 26, 2022, 09:55:21 PM »
Jerome ain’t going let them print a lot more so it probably will come in the form of taxes
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 26, 2022, 09:55:39 PM »
He literally wanted to give me crap from day 1. Knocking my intelligence and girls I was “dating” at the time. This was like 10-12 years ago tho, now. He just ignores my posts knowing that he is playing dumb & single AF in his late 40’s.

Wear the grudge like a crown of negativity
Calculate what we will or will not tolerate
Desperate to control all and everything
Unable to forgive your scarlet lettermen

Clutch it like a cornerstone, otherwise it all comes down
Justify denials and grip 'em to the lonesome end
Terrified of being wrong, ultimatum prison cell

Saturn ascends
Choose one or ten
Hang on or be humbled again
Humbled again

Justify denials and grip 'em to the lonesome end
Saturn ascends, comes round again
Saturn ascends, the one, the ten
Ignorant to the damage done

Wear the grudge like a crown of negativity
Calculate what we will or will not tolerate
Desperate to control all and everything
Unable to forgive these scarlet lettermen

Wear the grudge like a crown
Desperate to control
Unable to forgive and sinking deeper

Defining
Confining
And sinking deeper
Controlling
Defining
And we're sinking deeper

Saturn comes back around to show you everything
Let's you choose what you will and will not see and then
Drags you down like a stone or lifts you up again
Spits you out like a child, light and innocent

Saturn comes back around
Lifts you up like a child
or drags you down like a stone
To consume you till you choose to let this go
Choose to let this go

Give away the stone
Let the oceans take and trans mutate this cold and fated anchor
Give away the stone
Let the waters kiss and trans mutate these leaden grudges into gold

Let goooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 26, 2022, 10:14:44 PM »
David Brooks/David French/Russell Moore kind of conservative* here

1. The biggest threat to democracy is on the right with so many on the right distrusting elections
2. Trump should be prosecuted
3. Climate Change is a problem that should be viewed as a human rights issue, and should be addressed globally and this effort should be lead by the largest industrialized nations
4. Once here, the path to citizenship should be pretty attainable for the average person
5. It should be pretty hard to buy a gun, and military style weapons should be banned
6. Executive branch has too much power**
7. We could probably reduce military spending by 50% and still be safe against foreign powers

*meaningless word
**both sides kinda suck at that
Agree with all of it, except point 7.  I am in favor of more military spending on DARPA type crap like space vehicles, drones, super fast missiles, AI, and quantum computing. 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 26, 2022, 10:20:41 PM »
I used to be against most military spending.  Not even the Middle East stuff for years changed my mind. The Chinese and Russians have convinced me we need to be striving to stay ahead on military tech, or they will eff around.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 27, 2022, 12:56:26 AM »
A U of Phx MBA might not break down many doors in corporate America, which is less of an indictment of the school itself than of the elitist gatekeepers often in that circle, but the education received itself  can have great value in the workplace.

As for the loan forgiveness, the Pell Grant stipulation is a nice touch, and I agree that it won’t do much to help those truly in need. It also won’t mean much to the relatively high earners that might take advantage of it either.

My questions: where is the money coming from? And who will be footing the bill?

I don’t think it’s much more than a political ploy, but will still take part if I qualify. I have about $14 left to pay off of my own (mostly from a single semester at WSU just before covid), which I really don’t deserve forgiven.

Mrs Nicname and I have paid off ~$90k since 2020.

The money is coming from the US government, and the people footing the bill are the upper class, corporations, and the middle class with one or fewer children.