Author Topic: Thread for things you agree with on the "other side"  (Read 5801 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: Thread for things you agree with on the "other side"
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2022, 01:25:50 PM »
You can make over 125K and still need relief.

no, you can't.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2022, 01:28:09 PM »
If you family is making over $250k, you don't need relief. If anything the caps should have been $75k/$150k. They also shouldn't be hard caps, though. The relief should step down to zero so people just over the line don't get penalized.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2022, 01:30:29 PM »
$125K is 89-90th percentile for individual income.

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2022, 01:32:13 PM »
You can make over 125K and still need relief.

no, you can't.
Yes, you do. I hire dentists. They’re coming out with 300K+ debt in loans and make 130K starting out. Many haven’t been hired due to the shitty education they received the last 2-3 years because of the pandemic or had delayed starts because of it. Just because I make over that number now, doesn’t make up for the 5 years I had to live with my family after college to make up for it. For some reason, people base income on how they’re doing in life. I’ve fought 6 figures of debt for 15 years. Not every story is the same. 125K in your state is like earning 50K in the Midwest.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2022, 01:34:06 PM »
Are you intentionally ignoring the $250,000 thing or did you not know about it until 30 minutes ago?

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 26, 2022, 01:35:43 PM »
$125K is 89-90th percentile for individual income.
Yeah, I sacrificed a lot to get there with a bachelors degree in communications and a MBA from University of Phoenix, while living at home. How much sacrifice have people put in that are getting hand outs?

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2022, 01:37:19 PM »
David Brooks/David French/Russell Moore kind of conservative* here

1. The biggest threat to democracy is on the right with so many on the right distrusting elections
2. Trump should be prosecuted
3. Climate Change is a problem that should be viewed as a human rights issue, and should be addressed globally and this effort should be lead by the largest industrialized nations
4. Once here, the path to citizenship should be pretty attainable for the average person
5. It should be pretty hard to buy a gun, and military style weapons should be banned
6. Executive branch has too much power**
7. We could probably reduce military spending by 50% and still be safe against foreign powers

*meaningless word
**both sides kinda suck at that

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2022, 01:37:44 PM »
Are you intentionally ignoring the $250,000 thing or did you not know about it until 30 minutes ago?
We make over that as a family, but have plenty of student loan debt.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2022, 01:40:41 PM »
If you have over 100k in student loan debt 10k wasn’t going to materially change your financial trajectory. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 26, 2022, 01:42:05 PM »
If you family is making over $250k, you don't need relief. If anything the caps should have been $75k/$150k. They also shouldn't be hard caps, though. The relief should step down to zero so people just over the line don't get penalized.

i (obviously) agree that the caps are far too generous and i'll also add that it's a genuinely difficult problem to target people that might genuinely need public assistance because of how salaries scale with age.  it's obviously obscene to cancel the debts of people in the top quintile of income, but it's less obviously offensive, but just as unnecessary to cancel debt for young graduates not currently making high salaries, but very likely to do so in the future.

i will give the administration some recognition for targeting pell grant recipients for the second 10k of relief.  that's a decent, administratively easy way to at least target some of the funds towards people that at least did not come from upper middle-class and above families.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2022, 01:42:37 PM »

1. The biggest threat to democracy is on the right with so many on the right distrusting elections
3. Climate Change is a problem that should be viewed as a human rights issue, and should be addressed globally and this effort should be lead by the largest industrialized nations
4. Once here, the path to citizenship should be pretty attainable for the average person
5. It should be pretty hard to buy a gun, and military style weapons should be banned
7. We could probably reduce military spending by 50% and still be safe against foreign powers

*meaningless word

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 26, 2022, 01:43:18 PM »
$250K is 93-94th percentile for household income.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 26, 2022, 01:44:29 PM »
doesn’t make up for the 5 years I had to live with my family after college to make up for it.

i never made over 30k/yr (mostly far less) until i was 38 or 39.  get over it.

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 26, 2022, 02:23:16 PM »
If you have over 100k in student loan debt 10k wasn’t going to materially change your financial trajectory.
Well I don't owe that much anymore. Most of mine were private. Those will be paid off in two years. I'd appreciate if I can get by to neutral before the age of 40, so I can pay for my kids tuition and live my best life moving forward.

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 26, 2022, 02:24:08 PM »
doesn’t make up for the 5 years I had to live with my family after college to make up for it.

i never made over 30k/yr (mostly far less) until i was 38 or 39.  get over it.
No offense, but how is this even possible? Especially living in cali. Do you do social work?

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2022, 02:28:26 PM »
Well I don't owe that much anymore. Most of mine were private. Those will be paid off in two years. I'd appreciate if I can get by to neutral before the age of 40, so I can pay for my kids tuition and live my best life moving forward.

You gave an example of your dentists that have 300k plus in loans, it wouldn’t help them move the needle at all.  Honestly I don’t think 10k really helps anyone move the needle. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 26, 2022, 02:30:17 PM »

*meaningless word
:cheers:

Did I just find someone on this bbs who also reads Russ Moore?

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 26, 2022, 02:30:53 PM »

You gave an example of your dentists that have 300k plus in loans, it wouldn’t help them move the needle at all.  Honestly I don’t think 10k really helps anyone move the needle.
Fair. It's still something tho. I'm like within 2 years of being debt free. I would happily take it and not look back.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 26, 2022, 02:31:38 PM »
No offense, but how is this even possible? Especially living in cali. Do you do social work?

i was either an undergraduate, dropped out and doing manual labor or in grad school until then.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 26, 2022, 02:35:15 PM »

Fair. It's still something tho. I'm like within 2 years of being debt free. I would happily take it and not look back.
What does a moderately busy dentist who has been in practice for approx 10 years make in JoCo? [no pressure to answer if this is a protected trade secret, just curious]

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2022, 02:37:32 PM »
200K+. Probably close to $250,000. I just hear nightmare stories about their loans all the time. Now, imagine them going private practice too and what they own on that. I still hire 70 year old dentist, because they can't retire on what they've made during said time.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 02:40:39 PM by DreamWeaver69 »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 26, 2022, 02:40:48 PM »
I still hire 70 year old dentist, because they can't retire on what they've made during said time.

lol.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 26, 2022, 02:42:58 PM »
Yeah, those dentists have been divorced three times.

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 26, 2022, 02:50:15 PM »

i was either an undergraduate, dropped out and doing manual labor or in grad school until then.
Got it. Good for you. I just thought you graduated from K-State when 'clams did.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 26, 2022, 02:56:23 PM »
Got it. Good for you. I just thought you graduated from K-State when 'clams did.

i think i did, but i was older than him when we were both kstate undergrads.