Author Topic: Adrian Martinez…. American hero and soon to be NFL quarterback  (Read 12435 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Adrian Martinez…. American hero and soon to be NFL quarterback
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2022, 04:50:05 PM »
Their o-line was white hot garbage

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2022, 05:21:33 PM »
Their o-line was white hot garbage

An insult to white hot garbage but yes
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2022, 06:46:05 PM »
Best option QB/RB combo since Ell and Sproles?

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2022, 07:09:17 PM »

Klein and Hubert were really good. Really hoping the option is a play we see a lot of this year.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2022, 10:41:53 PM »

Klein and Hubert were really good. Really hoping the option is a play we see a lot of this year.
No doubt CK7 and Hubert were great at running the option but neither has the "break away speed/big play ability" of Martinez/Duece.

But if it's 3rd and 3 I would take CK7/Hubert over anyone else when it comes to getting a first down. 75% of the time CK7 Would keep the ball and plow over some LB for a 4 yard gain.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2022, 10:46:26 PM »
Adrian just came off shoulder surgery and you all want to run him like it’s 2003, shaking my smdh.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2022, 10:56:21 PM »
I want Adrian sliding and running out of bounds.  Come guys we were getting away from sketti-brained QB plays.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2022, 11:16:37 PM »
I don't think CK7 would call those types of plays knowing what he went thru. 
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2022, 08:00:31 AM »
Ram him brain first into linebackers 15+ times a game or he can gtfo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2022, 08:13:33 AM »
He’s just a place holder for Avery, if he dies he dies

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2022, 09:10:38 AM »
You dumbasses apparently have forgotten what it’s like to watch Will Howard captain our ship.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2022, 09:11:24 AM »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2022, 09:48:25 AM »
You dumbasses apparently have forgotten what it’s like to watch Will Howard captain our ship.
I feel like a junior Will Howard would be successful running the 2011 CK7 offense where he only throws the ball 10 times a game and rams his brain into LB's 15+ times a game.

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2022, 09:53:07 AM »
I love people that live in a world where nobody ever improves from their first year right out of high school as an 18 year-old kid with a dysfunctional locker room during the Covid season.  Shaking my dang SMDH

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2022, 09:56:22 AM »
I love people that live in a world where nobody ever improves from their first year right out of high school as an 18 year-old kid with a dysfunctional locker room during the Covid season.  Shaking my dang SMDH

Ok but he wasn't really any better last year, and we were told he was the best backup qb in America.

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2022, 10:44:41 AM »

Ok but he wasn't really any better last year, and we were told he was the best backup qb in America.
Yes, I agree, Will hasn’t exactly lit it on fire in his first two years.  I think everybody agrees that Avery Johnson is the heir apparent after this year. We are banking on major improvement from Adrian Martinez over last year and we are banking on Avery Johnson coming in and being a D1 power five starting quarterback as a true freshman.  Will Howard needs to be a serviceable back up QB this year and unless everybody can guarantee that Avery Johnson will be who we think he is as a true freshman, it would be nice to have a Will Howard with 4 years in the system in 2023 in case Avery Johnson needs a development year.  It’s going to be very difficult to recruit a Class of 24 quarterback or to get someone out of the portal with Avery Johnson on the roster. I see no purpose in dragging Will Howard. The kid is by all accounts a good locker room guy and was highly thought of out of high school. With Chris Klieman’s track record identifying & developing NFL quarterbacks, I think I would give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.  But by all means, if it makes people feel good bagging on Will Howard every chance they get, knock yourselves out.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2022, 10:45:58 AM »
Don't forget about 4* Jake Rubely!
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2022, 10:50:15 AM »
We will get a P5 worthy HS QB every year. These dudes aren’t afraid of competition.

Offline Hurricane Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2022, 08:20:56 PM »

This is really creepy Pete

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2022, 11:52:36 PM »

Yes, I agree, Will hasn’t exactly lit it on fire in his first two years.  I think everybody agrees that Avery Johnson is the heir apparent after this year. We are banking on major improvement from Adrian Martinez over last year and we are banking on Avery Johnson coming in and being a D1 power five starting quarterback as a true freshman.  Will Howard needs to be a serviceable back up QB this year and unless everybody can guarantee that Avery Johnson will be who we think he is as a true freshman, it would be nice to have a Will Howard with 4 years in the system in 2023 in case Avery Johnson needs a development year.  It’s going to be very difficult to recruit a Class of 24 quarterback or to get someone out of the portal with Avery Johnson on the roster. I see no purpose in dragging Will Howard. The kid is by all accounts a good locker room guy and was highly thought of out of high school. With Chris Klieman’s track record identifying & developing NFL quarterbacks, I think I would give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.  But by all means, if it makes people feel good bagging on Will Howard every chance they get, knock yourselves out.

We could always get some senior QB to transfer in to battle it out with Howard to see who gets to keep Averys seat warm for a year.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2022, 03:36:34 AM »

No doubt CK7 and Hubert were great at running the option but neither has the "break away speed/big play ability" of Martinez/Duece.

But if it's 3rd and 3 I would take CK7/Hubert over anyone else when it comes to getting a first down. 75% of the time CK7 Would keep the ball and plow over some LB for a 4 yard gain.

Hickson
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2022, 03:41:38 AM »
Imagine what Snyder would do with two totally dispensable quarterbacks that can run pretty fast. Just go QB power like 30 time a game. When Martinez is concussed, just ram Howard into their asses while Adrian is snorting smelling salts and counting fingers.

I’m ready for some football.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 06:23:52 AM by nicname »
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2022, 07:40:19 PM »
Imagine what Snyder would do with two totally dispensable quarterbacks that can run pretty fast. Just go QB power like 30 time a game. When Martinez is concussed, just ram Howard into their asses while Adrian is snorting smelling salts and counting fingers.

I’m ready for some football.

That's one of the main reasons I'm glad Snyder is not coaching the Cats anymore.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2022, 11:51:09 AM »
I'm home on injury leave for a few weeks and I'm already bored out of my mind, soooooo I watched (almost) every Big 10 snap from Nebraska's 2021 season to try to better understand Martinez's strange year, and see what kind of qb we'll be getting this year. WARNING: I am not a football expert, and this does not include advanced stats, mostly just what I can see from tv broadcasts.

Some takeaways:

They were actually a pretty good team last year; some really bad special teams, some really bad coaching decisions, and some bad turnovers probably lost them 4-5 games. I think Martinez's play probably cost them 2 games (michigan fumble with 2 min left during a tie game, and purdue, 4 int) However, he also kept them in some games (ohio sate) they probably wouldn't have been competitive with a lesser qb.

Special teams probably cost them games vs illinois(dumb safety, missed fg, missed xp) and ohio state (2 missed field goals, lost by 6)

End of game play calling was pretty bad, vs Wisconsin down 7 with 1 min to go and one TO they went for the end zone 4 times in a row from the 25 yard line, never tried to get 10-15 yards and get out of bounds. Even when Wisconsin just put their entire secondary on the goal line. Seemed like the coaching staff treated him like a Mahomes-esque qb and expected him to be able to go make plays without much support.

O line play was really bad. Like really really bad.

He really only had 2 receiving targets: FCS Transfer WR Samori Toure and TE Austin Allen. Those 2 players accounted for over 50% of his yardage. Their 3rd option had 380 yds.

Some stats:

Martinez completed 62% of his passes for 2863 yds (9.4 y/a) 14 td, 10 int (Skylar was 69.5% completion 2100 yds (9.1 y/a) 12 td, 4 int)
He also rushed for 525 yds and 13 td.

Their best RB rushed for less than 500 yds and only 4 td

Martinez strengths:

Rolling out and throwing on the run: Maybe it was just because the o line play was so atrocious, but he rarely stayed in the pocket. they almost always moved him around the field and forced him to throw on the run.

Scrambling: He's pretty good at getting away from pressure and getting the first down or at least 5+ yards. He had to do that a lot as we all know the o line was bad.

Short Yardage: they basically used him as a short yardage back most of the year. They'd often line him up in an empty set and run him straight at the line on 3rd and 3 or less.

Option: He's pretty great at running the option, they used is pretty effectively last year despite not having much of a running back. They often ran a jet option with their #1 WR Toure.

Martinez Weaknesses:

It's obvious here but, Turnovers: A lot of his Ints stemmed from trying to make a play out of nothing. His worst game vs Purdue he tried a shovel pass while getting sacked and a DE stepped right in front of it and picked it off. His only other multi Int game was vs Wisconsin. He had one puzzling throw where there was not a single WR in a 15 yard radius. Maybe someone ran the wrong route or something. On the bright side, he was pressured A TON and in general handled it pretty well. It seemed like the staff there didn't do much to try to help him out, he rarely had a RB safety valve to dump to despite the frequent pressure (granted they usually needed the RB to help block) By my count, 3 of his ints should be attributed to WRs dropping the ball or tipping it to a defender.

I think I only remember 2 or 3 fumbles and they were mostly strip sacks while he was running from pressure with the ball in one hand. The one that sticks out is a short 2 yard run up the middle vs Mich where he was stripped and essentially handed the win to Michigan. I'm hoping he won't be doing much, if any, running the ball straight into the line at K-State.

Accuracy: When he doesn't get his feet set he tends to throw off his back foot and the ball sails on him. He missed several open receivers like this and it attributed to 3 or 4 of his Ints

Ending thoughts:

I think his TO problem was mainly a product of the team he played on. He had little time to throw the ball, and he knew he was going to be the one to have to make a play. If the coaching staff can give him some easier options, and his receivers can get a little bit of separation I think that number comes down to that 4-5 number.

I expect Deuce is going to get a lot of catches out of the backfield again (shocking)

His running ability combined with Deuce is going to be frustrating for defenses.

My prediction is he throws for 2700 yards and 12 td with 5 int. Gains probably 350 on the ground and another 5 td.