Author Topic: Adrian Martinez…. American hero and soon to be NFL quarterback  (Read 12652 times)

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
Re: Adrian Martinez…. American hero and soon to be NFL quarterback
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2022, 12:13:13 PM »
I actually watched a lot of Nubbs games last year (many friends are) so I saw a lot of Martinez's play in real time, and in general I will echo the same sentiments.

His o-line was just, god awful, and one thing to keep in mind from a "luck" stand point, Nubbs was exceedingly unlucky. Look it up, they only won 1 big 10 game, but there PF/PA was dead even, which speaks to how many damn close/weird ass games they were in. Martinez can definitely be blamed for many of those issues, but he also cannot be blamed for as many if not more issues as well. Also Nubbs defense was very inconsistent, they could be equally lock down as equally WTF depending on the game and situation.

I tend to echo your overall assessment, I do think he'll have more TOs than 5 ints, but I expect not much more like 7 or 8. Even with his lack of a oline he still can cowboy it up a bit, regardless he's going to be an exciting watch, and his experience and talent combined with having a competent o-line, and better cast of characters around him that will take some pressure off him, with hopefully a better play caller in Klein will mean he should thrive pretty well.

Assume he's healthy, I think he'll throw for about 2500 yards, 18ish TDs, 8 INTs, and more like 400 or 500 yards of rushing (I think he'll get some big scramble plays to booth the overall numbers). I do think he'll rush for like 8ish TDs, he's too good a runner and scrambler to not find a hole if things break down and take something long on the ground.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2022, 12:15:24 PM »
Great write ups, I'm all aboard the 10-2 play in Arlington for a big12 title train.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2022, 12:21:53 PM »
Is he James McGill or nah?

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2022, 12:24:23 PM »
I actually watched a lot of Nubbs games last year (many friends are) so I saw a lot of Martinez's play in real time, and in general I will echo the same sentiments.

His o-line was just, god awful, and one thing to keep in mind from a "luck" stand point, Nubbs was exceedingly unlucky. Look it up, they only won 1 big 10 game, but there PF/PA was dead even, which speaks to how many damn close/weird ass games they were in. Martinez can definitely be blamed for many of those issues, but he also cannot be blamed for as many if not more issues as well. Also Nubbs defense was very inconsistent, they could be equally lock down as equally WTF depending on the game and situation.

I tend to echo your overall assessment, I do think he'll have more TOs than 5 ints, but I expect not much more like 7 or 8. Even with his lack of a oline he still can cowboy it up a bit, regardless he's going to be an exciting watch, and his experience and talent combined with having a competent o-line, and better cast of characters around him that will take some pressure off him, with hopefully a better play caller in Klein will mean he should thrive pretty well.

Assume he's healthy, I think he'll throw for about 2500 yards, 18ish TDs, 8 INTs, and more like 400 or 500 yards of rushing (I think he'll get some big scramble plays to booth the overall numbers). I do think he'll rush for like 8ish TDs, he's too good a runner and scrambler to not find a hole if things break down and take something long on the ground.

Yeah, 7 or 8 Int is probably more realistic. I may be placing too much blame on the coaching staff for his "cowboy" throws. 18 passing TDs would be amazing. Also hoping we're not in as many come from behind games in the 4th quarter like they were, so he won't be trying to hero it up all the time.

I put him at 300 yards on the ground mainly due to the fact that he probably won't have as many designed runs for him this year. But yes he'll definitely break off some long TD runs a few times

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2022, 12:29:24 PM »
This seems like premium gE content.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2022, 12:43:14 PM »
Special teams probably cost them games vs illinois(dumb safety, missed fg, missed xp) and ohio state (2 missed field goals, lost by 6)
Premium content! Somebody get this man a Cabello’s gift card. Thanks KCFD

I remember watching that Illinois game and thinking if they had just hired Sean Snyder as the special teams coach instead of trying to lowball him as an analyst & losing him to USC, they probably would’ve been bowl eligible.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 12:47:29 PM by HugeCat »

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2022, 04:46:28 PM »

Yeah, 7 or 8 Int is probably more realistic. I may be placing too much blame on the coaching staff for his "cowboy" throws. 18 passing TDs would be amazing. Also hoping we're not in as many come from behind games in the 4th quarter like they were, so he won't be trying to hero it up all the time.

I put him at 300 yards on the ground mainly due to the fact that he probably won't have as many designed runs for him this year. But yes he'll definitely break off some long TD runs a few times

Sure with the yards. I guess for the passing TDs I didn't think 1.5TD/game was overly crazy :dunno:

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2022, 11:28:26 PM »

If we’re going to be legitimate B12 contenders Martinez is going to be doing a lot more damage on the ground than that.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2022, 11:37:06 PM »
Don't disagree, but also I think he won't need to hustle as much with us vs Nubbs given o-line improvments. But as stated I think he gets closer to 400-500 yards and around 7/8 ground TDs, maybe more. After all soon to be Dolphin's QB1 Thompson had 4 just vs OU in 2019

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2022, 12:19:19 AM »
I would love to see how these Martinez reviews would go if he had transferred to KU instead of K-State.

(This comment has nothing to do with the reviewers in this thread, just about K-State fans in general)

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2022, 03:39:45 AM »
I would love to see how these Martinez reviews would go if he had transferred to KU instead of K-State.

(This comment has nothing to do with the reviewers in this thread, just about K-State fans in general)

He would have only gone to KU if he were shittier.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2022, 06:51:15 AM »

My opinion of him would be the same: he’s a good qb who was put in a system that didn’t suit him with an o line that never learned to block. Since KU also has a crap o line I’d say he’d have a similar year. He’d win them some games for sure, but would also struggle to be consistent. However I think the coaching staff at KU is better than Nebraska. (Hard to know about their new offensive staff though)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2022, 09:01:56 AM »
KU would probably win 5 or 6 games with Martinez at QB. They would still be worse than Nebraska was last year, but Nebraska dropped a few games they should have won so the records would be about the same.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2022, 09:06:36 AM »
He was a 4 year P5 starter at QB.  KU hasn't had a legitimate P5 starting QB since Reesing so Martinez would've clearly been a big upgrade for them.  He would take them to heights they haven't seen in over a decade, winning a couple B12 games for them.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2022, 11:36:16 AM »
KU would probably win 5 or 6 games with Martinez at QB. They would still be worse than Nebraska was last year, but Nebraska dropped a few games they should have won so the records would be about the same.

How many do you think they'll win with Jaylon Daniels? I think they're pretty similar QBs.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2022, 11:49:32 AM »

How many do you think they'll win with Jaylon Daniels? I think they're pretty similar QBs.

I think they win 3 or 4 games this year. I'd be very surprised if they don't beat Tennessee Tech and Duke, anyway, and they probably win at least one conference game.

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2022, 04:15:27 PM »
Why won’t they show him launching nukes
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2022, 12:38:07 PM »
AM got hit on a corner blitz. Hard to say whether he could’ve/should’ve held onto it or if he should’ve had better pocket awareness. Probably had better wide receivers at N and our play calling was pretty conservative. Probably a B performance overall considering he wasn’t asked to do much.
[tweet]1566470807588569088[/tweet]?s=20&t=tGFl9zCohJJ8VupTHHMqBg

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2022, 01:38:09 PM »
There were times when he held the ball for a REALLY long time.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2022, 01:44:10 PM »

Yeah, either our receivers weren't getting open or he was making too conservative decisions to avoid interceptions. Either way it is slightly concerning.

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2022, 01:46:35 PM »
On a positive note, everybody seems to think Katori Levingston had a good game and should be fine at left tackle
https://twitter.com/KStateRecruits/status/1566492700639109122?s=20&t=Mt7rKpUEabwJ8KxG0If6SA

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2022, 01:58:46 PM »

Yeah, either our receivers weren't getting open or he was making too conservative decisions to avoid interceptions. Either way it is slightly concerning.
The camera angles on tv did nothing for viewers to see what was happening 5 yards down field, so my only assumption was no one was covering check downs unless it was Vaughn.  Other than that all we really saw was line play and the qb going through his progression.

But i think i counted 2 or 3 drops.  The 40+ yard pass to Brooks i thought was a great pass into coverage, but no replay and bad angle, i can’t confirm anything other than it was incomplete. Did Brooks even get his hands on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2022, 05:49:41 PM »
martinez looked slow in every aspect of the qb position

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2022, 06:07:40 PM »
martinez looked slow in every aspect of the qb position

No, you cannot have Jalon Daniels.