Author Topic: Possible oscar Weber Replacements Thread  (Read 34061 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Possible oscar Weber Replacements Thread
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2022, 05:08:14 PM »
Here is a few  from an athletic article earlier this year on up and comers and retreads (link for those with a sub)

https://theathletic.com/2887254/2021/11/01/college-basketball-coaches-to-watch-in-2021-22-warming-seats-mid-majors-moving-up-assistants-on-the-cusp/?source=user_shared_article)

Eric Konkol, Louisiana Tech. The 44-year-old hasn’t had a losing season in six years in Ruston, and he’ll have one of the nation’s low-key best players in Kenneth Lofton Jr. this year. A nice setup to capture some spotlight.

Grant McCasland, North Texas. He’s 44, he’s not had a losing season in five years as a head coach, he’s led the Mean Green to a Conference USA regular-season title and tournament title in the last two seasons, respectively, he engineered a first-round upset of Purdue in March and that Baylor line on his resume looks better and better.

Niko Medved, Colorado State. If the Rams are indeed a top 25-ish outfit this year, that’ll clinch two strong rebuilds at Furman and Colorado State for Medved. That should be an attention-getter for a power-league school needing a jolt.

Roger Powell, Gonzaga. While Brian Michaelson is now the longest-tenured Mark Few aide and well-prepared himself, Powell is viewed internally as also perfectly ready for a head coach gig. Some recruiting wins lately just add to the allure.

Marvin Menzies, former UNLV coach. He’s not done yet, and even though his tenure in Las Vegas couldn’t withstand an administration change, he did lead New Mexico State to five NCAA Tournament bids.

Archie Miller, former Indiana coach. Does a year away prompt Miller to explore offensive innovation and be a little more tuned-in to relationship building with the modern college player? If so, a guy with one losing season as a coach is an intriguing option.

Sean Miller, former Arizona coach. Once there’s clarity from the NCAA — and goodness knows that could happen anytime between next month and the apocalypse — someone will employ Sean Miller (career winning percentage of .730) again.

Steve Prohm, former Iowa State coach. Results the last two seasons were … not great. But Prohm banked enough wins previously in Ames and at Murray State to cut the profile of a guy who gets another opportunity at a mid-major.

Steve Wojciechowski, former Marquette coach. He won 57 percent of his games with the Golden Eagles but dipped to sub-.500 finishes in the Big East the last two seasons. Wojciechowski will get refreshed this season and might be a coach who really thrives in a second job with a clean slate.

After Medved this list is ass. It's still very possible that Miller could get a show cause.

If we get a retread like Wojo I'm gonna lose my crap.
not a single man on this list that I want here

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2022, 07:04:22 PM »
Could we get Shaka ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zero chance, absolutely none. Marquette is a way better program than K-State, in pretty much every way. We don't even have the good before anyone was alive advantage over them. They have a better history, better arena, more money, better recruiting home base. Manhattan is a better place to live than shitty Milwaukee, and K-State has a better campus, that's it for us.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2022, 07:13:01 PM »
Buzz went to Virgina Tech

He's a weird dude though

Offline bws

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2022, 08:54:47 PM »
A few more from the article. From the up and comer category….assistants

Kellen Sampson, Houston. He’s been at the forefront of Houston’s player development. So it’s either wait to take over for his father — who shows no outward signs of slowing down — or cash in on the Cougars’ success to run his own show for a bit.

Darren Savino, UCLA.The Bruins’ associate head coach has worked with Cronin for 14 years across three stops. Here’s guessing it’s a matter of finding the perfect fit, which is an understandable bar to set — but also possibly cause for a long wait.

Jerome Tang, Baylor. He’s been at Scott Drew’s side for nearly two decades, and we know why: My colleague CJ Moore’s story on Drew’s coaching tree describes the dynamic as Tang being extremely selective about fit. That piece provides all the insight you need on the circumstances that would spring Tang to his own top job.

Jason Williford, Virginia. Another longtime aide to one very successful coach, who may not ever leave his home state. But there’s also nothing left to prove in Charlottesville. Williford can run his own show.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2022, 10:42:37 PM »
Buzz went to Virgina Tech

He's a weird dude though

Yeah and Frank Haith went from Mizzou to Tulsa. In both cases they were job resets. Buzz did it again when he went from Tech to A&M, homeboy went from a average job in the ACC to the worst job in the SEC. Buzz and Mike Anderson are the kings of the job reset

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2022, 10:36:19 AM »
I fully expect oscar to beat TTU today.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2022, 12:29:21 PM »
Based on name alone, it needs to be Tang.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2022, 12:30:26 PM »
Based on the score now he has this thing locked up 100%
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2022, 12:54:08 PM »
Could we get Shaka ?

Zero chance, absolutely none. Marquette is a way better program than K-State, in pretty much every way. We don't even have the good before anyone was alive advantage over them. They have a better history, better arena, more money, better recruiting home base. Manhattan is a better place to live than shitty Milwaukee, and K-State has a better campus, that's it for us.

I agree, but I'd add that I'd much rather live in Milwaukee than Manhattan KS.  It's great. I lived there for a couple years.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2022, 12:54:58 PM »
Really? lol, look at you pissing in the wind

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2022, 01:02:27 PM »
:dunno:
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2022, 01:27:59 PM »
Let’s give him a raise !

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2022, 01:35:59 PM »
Let’s give him a raise !

oscar Weber Family Coliseum has a nice ring to it

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2022, 01:37:06 PM »
:dunno:

Well done on the predicto, I'm never doing that with this team until the game is over. Did you see they were still trying to break a press by inbounding the ball to the corner?

Offline Catman2

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2022, 12:35:02 PM »
If Weber gets canned at the end of the year, we will get a new coach and many new players. Better or worse with the transfer portal? Will 1 or 2 or 7 current players leave?  Just asking.
Then we can root for them while playing for other teams like everybody did for Angel. Can’t wait, there will be so many other games to watch!!!

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2022, 12:45:54 PM »
We'd hire Lowery and the players would stay. Duh.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2022, 01:34:24 PM »
If Weber gets canned at the end of the year, we will get a new coach and many new players. Better or worse with the transfer portal? Will 1 or 2 or 7 current players leave?  Just asking.
Then we can root for them while playing for other teams like everybody did for Angel. Can’t wait, there will be so many other games to watch!!!

I'll field this one...

First of all, no one gives a eff about the program now, so whatever happens to whomever the players are on the current squad is really no big deal.

Second, if these players can be recruited and signed by oscar rough ridin' Weber, the new dude can convince them to stay (assuming he wants them).  EASILY.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2022, 02:51:41 PM »

I'll field this one...

First of all, no one gives a eff about the program now, so whatever happens to whomever the players are on the current squad is really no big deal.

Second, if these players can be recruited and signed by oscar rough ridin' Weber, the new dude can convince them to stay (assuming he wants them).  EASILY.

This was the most perfect and sad answer possible. lol

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2022, 03:40:34 PM »
you know how long it takes to build an extraordinarily successful college basketball program from the ground up? like 4 minutes. If anything a fresh start would be a positive. out with the old, in with the new. how dang exciting will that be.

Online joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2022, 03:49:11 PM »
you know how long it takes to build an extraordinarily successful college basketball program from the ground up? like 4 minutes. If anything a fresh start would be a positive. out with the old, in with the new. how dang exciting will that be.

Even easier with the transfer portal. A hotshot new coach could have a brand new starting 5, all with previous major college experience, before they can change the office name plate.

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2022, 04:32:13 PM »
Sean Miller, former Arizona coach. Once there’s clarity from the NCAA — and goodness knows that could happen anytime between next month and the apocalypse — someone will employ Sean Miller (career winning percentage of .730) again.

Would take if he gets his crap straight
if he gets his crap straight, he loses his only competitive advantage...terrible X/Os guy...archie no better

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2022, 05:52:09 PM »

I'll field this one...

I thought y'all like Curtis Kelly and Shane Southwell? We don't care about them either?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2022, 05:56:01 PM »

if he gets his crap straight, he loses his only competitive advantage...terrible X/Os guy...archie no better

I don't want the dude, but he won 8 conference championships and had 3 elite 8s in 12 seasons at Arizona. Those last three years were real rough tho.

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2022, 06:25:37 PM »

I don't want the dude, but he won 8 conference championships and had 3 elite 8s in 12 seasons at Arizona. Those last three years were real rough tho.
ya, cuz he was cheating his azz off...those numbers are not at all impressive, given the caliber of players he bought

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2022, 07:25:29 PM »

I'll field this one...

I thought y'all like Curtis Kelly and Shane Southwell? We don't care about them either?

Look, everyone agrees that the Huggs/Frank players were wonderful, and the oscar players were not.  Those are facts that are not being debated here.