Author Topic: Possible oscar Weber Replacements Thread  (Read 34754 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Possible oscar Weber Replacements Thread
« Reply #125 on: February 13, 2022, 11:50:49 AM »
Imagine not being able to have fun watching sports because you don't like a 65 year old man because he doesn't coach basketball like you want him to.  :lol: :lol: :lol:
and you know that a lot of our disdain for oscar has little to do with his coaching

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Possible oscar Weber Replacements Thread
« Reply #126 on: February 13, 2022, 01:13:40 PM »
Imagine not being able to have fun watching sports because you don't like a 65 year old man because he doesn't coach basketball like you want him to.  :lol: :lol: :lol:
I know nothing about bball coaching so I can safely say that’s not my problem. I don’t like oscar because under him our best regular season teams have flopped in the tournament and every time I’ve made peace with us sucking as part of a transition to a new coach we squeak into the tournament and threaten a deep run.

I only loved Frank because we were practically guaranteed a tournament spot and first round win every year. Made each game more fun to me at least instead of feeling like the results are all randomized somehow.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 13, 2022, 02:38:14 PM »

Yeah, tht's the problem.

When people struggle with enjoying fun wins, that's certainly the problem.

I know nothing about bball coaching so I can safely say that’s not my problem. I don’t like oscar because under him our best regular season teams have flopped in the tournament and every time I’ve made peace with us sucking as part of a transition to a new coach we squeak into the tournament and threaten a deep run.

I only loved Frank because we were practically guaranteed a tournament spot and first round win every year. Made each game more fun to me at least instead of feeling like the results are all randomized somehow.

When LHC Bill Snyder was winning 7 games a year and going to bowl games every year, the same people were saying they'd rather our program be like TCU's with high highs and low lows. It's not hypocrisy but it's certainly inconsistent based on never being happy with what you've got.

People also bitched about playing style under Frank and he frequently needed late season runs to get into the tournament. He never under played a seed but he only over played a seed once, when we beat USC.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 13, 2022, 02:38:59 PM »
King oscar continues to surprise and upset his most ardent haters.

this team is very frustrating and fun.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 13, 2022, 02:54:40 PM »
I think I've said it before but oscar has earned the right to retire at KSU

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 13, 2022, 03:02:27 PM »
Frank has 2 20-win seasons in a decade 🤮

I don’t know what to think of this team. We look as good or better than every team but Baylor in our conference games. Pretty good for a rebuilding year. Too bad our record is crap from covid and doing dumb things. Our stars are better than expected but depth is worse. Dunno if I’d fire or keep oscar, but I just hope Nijel sticks around.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 13, 2022, 03:09:53 PM »
If you think about it, Nijel probably is more valuable than most coaches except the elite, if we’re talking a 2 year time frame. Would you rather have Nijel or Beard for 2 years?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 13, 2022, 04:00:20 PM »

Yeah, tht's the problem.

When people struggle with enjoying fun wins, that's certainly the problem.

When LHC LHC LHC Bill Snyder was winning 7 games a year and going to bowl games every year, the same people were saying they'd rather our program be like TCU's with high highs and low lows. It's not hypocrisy but it's certainly inconsistent based on never being happy with what you've got.

People also bitched about playing style under Frank and he frequently needed late season runs to get into the tournament. He never under played a seed but he only over played a seed once, when we beat USC.
I don’t necessarily disagree with any of this but I will say my opinion of oscar would be pretty different if he consistently made the tournament, so it’s not exactly fair to me even to compare him to a consistent 7 win FB season type coach.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 13, 2022, 08:09:50 PM »
If you think about it, Nijel probably is more valuable than most coaches except the elite, if we’re talking a 2 year time frame. Would you rather have Nijel or Beard for 2 years?

Beard. I think he could coach every single team in the conference into the tournament.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 14, 2022, 12:49:36 AM »
we kicked his ass

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 14, 2022, 08:18:31 AM »
we kicked his ass

We split with them and you might want to check the standings.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 14, 2022, 08:38:09 AM »

Beard. I think he could coach every single team in the conference into the tournament.

Do you think he could coach K-State into the tournament without Pack? I know that's not what you said, but the question made me think of this. I don't think he could. We'll see if we can get to the tournament with Pack and without Beard.

I do think that if you put Pack on any team in the conference, they would be in the tournament (assuming OK St was eligible).

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 14, 2022, 10:06:17 AM »
I hate oscar being our coach but saturday ruled except for the start and the last possession.

I never follow pressers but did anyone explain WTF happened on that last possession?  Just nowell not knowing the clock?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 14, 2022, 10:50:42 AM »
I hate oscar being our coach but saturday ruled except for the start and the last possession.

I never follow pressers but did anyone explain WTF happened on that last possession?  Just nowell not knowing the clock?

I looked at the post-game quotes on Kstatesports and didn't see anybody ask about it.

I think Nowell knew the clock and just really wanted the shot, particularly with little risk in a tie game.  He has to be smarter than that though.  It's one thing if he wants a 3 in that situation but he's too small to be able to just stand there and launch one over a defender at the end of the clock.  He has to work a little more if he's going to get that off.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 14, 2022, 01:11:37 PM »

Do you think he could coach K-State into the tournament without Pack? I know that's not what you said, but the question made me think of this. I don't think he could. We'll see if we can get to the tournament with Pack and without Beard.

I do think that if you put Pack on any team in the conference, they would be in the tournament (assuming OK St was eligible).

Yes, I do think he could coach K-State, without Pack, into the tournament. Look at the rosters he had at Tech, hell look at the roster he has now, those aren't star players. He had one elite player, Jarrett Culver, and he was one shot away from winning a national championship.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 14, 2022, 10:50:05 PM »
eff it let's run this crap back another 2 years  :bball:

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 14, 2022, 10:54:47 PM »
Win 3 more Big 12 games and we will run it back next year
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 14, 2022, 11:05:56 PM »
even if we win 2 and miss the ncaas i'd feel good about next year. if we have a similar portal haul as last year, i think we'll be solidly top 4. then probably the top team nijel's senior year. and then oscar can ride into the sunset

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 14, 2022, 11:13:59 PM »
crap tons of holes on this roster and next year you have to replace a guy averaging a double double and probably Miguel. Pack and Nowell is a super fun guard combo tho and if they make the tournament and can play the portal right could have another bubble team next year as well.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 14, 2022, 11:14:53 PM »
Y'all might think I'm crazy but even if he makes the tournament I'm still not sure he's safe. This program has zero buzz, tickets went tonight for $6. There's no one going to these games and that matters to Gene. I think he still retires Bill in '18 even if he beats Iowa State and I don't know if oscar is out of the woods.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 14, 2022, 11:16:36 PM »
crap tons of holes on this roster and next year you have to replace a guy averaging a double double and probably Miguel. Pack and Nowell is a super fun guard combo tho and if they make the tournament and can play the portal right could have another bubble team next year as well.

I also think Selton is transferring and next year's roster is going to be a mess, whether Pack returns or not.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 14, 2022, 11:22:18 PM »
Wouldn’t upset me at all if he gets forced out even after making the tourney.  Not feeling too confident in oscar’s ability to land a replacement level player for Mark Smith next year or develop one of the bigs on the roster into a P5 caliber post player.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 14, 2022, 11:24:33 PM »

I looked at the post-game quotes on Kstatesports and didn't see anybody ask about it.

I think Nowell knew the clock and just really wanted the shot, particularly with little risk in a tie game.  He has to be smarter than that though.  It's one thing if he wants a 3 in that situation but he's too small to be able to just stand there and launch one over a defender at the end of the clock.  He has to work a little more if he's going to get that off.

Nowell admitted to waving off the play and the timeout from the bench.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 15, 2022, 12:34:53 AM »
we'll have 3-4 cracks at a decent replacement. also it's a much better situation than last year.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 15, 2022, 05:58:48 AM »
Y'all might think I'm crazy but even if he makes the tournament I'm still not sure he's safe. This program has zero buzz, tickets went tonight for $6. There's no one going to these games and that matters to Gene. I think he still retires Bill in '18 even if he beats Iowa State and I don't know if oscar is out of the woods.
This is where I’m at.

No one was there tonight (students were good) and you’d think huggy would bring some people in. Winnable conference games should draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk