Author Topic: critical race theory  (Read 12183 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: critical race theory
« Reply #150 on: July 02, 2021, 04:00:24 PM »
Topeka's was in holiday park and I was aware of it, but it's only the last few years that I learned what it represented.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 02, 2021, 04:03:45 PM »
I've been aware of Junteenth for 30 years or so, but never really paid any attention to it or understood exactly the history of it until just recently.

(x-post to shame yourself thread maybe?)

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 02, 2021, 05:05:01 PM »
Google says 30%+ of the confederacy which is shockingly high to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seems high

Because you don't want to think the embarrassing tentacles of slavery reached that deep into the country?

30% doesn't seem high to me at all, there were a much higher percentage of citizens who were land owners and there wasn't as wide of a variance of wealth distribution.

This is unreadable, homie.
https://socialequity.duke.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/8.10.20.pdf

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 03, 2021, 06:05:52 PM »
The fact that most of you people are just now leaning of Juneteenth is evidence of this.

this isn't accurate is it?  like i don't recall when i first heard about juneteenth, but i'm reasonably confident that i accurately recall juneteenth celebrations in long's park in like the 90s or so.  so probably at least 25-30 years ago.

I was speaking in general sys, not to individuals. Even so the point was when you learned about slavery in school I'm 100% certain that it was presented as if slavery ended with the emancipation proclamation. I don't recall any discussion with regard to black people and slavery when we talked about reconstruction, do you? Gilded Age, Industrial Revolution? Any of that, more?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 03, 2021, 06:44:31 PM »
We watched the start of "Roots" in school and that stuck with me more than any lesson about slavery.

The aforementioned Charles Sanders really helped me learn about Reconstruction and I was well into my thirties before I really heard of redlining (reading "Family Properties" recommended by Kat Kid I think)

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 03, 2021, 06:51:30 PM »
I learned about the Tulsa Massacre by watching The Watchmen.  Seems like it would have been an important thing they would have taught us in school.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 03, 2021, 06:52:50 PM »
I learned about the Tulsa Massacre by watching The Watchmen.  Seems like it would have been an important thing they would have taught us in school.

Same

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 03, 2021, 07:12:39 PM »
when you learned about slavery in school I'm 100% certain that it was presented as if slavery ended with the emancipation proclamation. I don't recall any discussion with regard to black people and slavery when we talked about reconstruction, do you? Gilded Age, Industrial Revolution? Any of that, more?

i was raised in mhk, so i got a very pro-union, redemption of america thanks to john brown and kansas type spin on the civil war. but you're right, it was all very chapterized.  as i recall it, black people showed around 1840, evidencing an unfortunate problem that was soon solved and by 1870 or so we were back to railroads, political cartoons and minor wars.  black people maybe made a cameo here or there in unfortunate excesses or historic firsts until 1950 or so when the supreme court, mlk and the kennedys finally solved racism.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 03, 2021, 11:24:18 PM »

I lived in the Tulsa metro for 10 years and frequently walked the streets where it happened before I knew about the race riots/massacre. There was a “this is where the black businesses were” plaque and a mural or two, but it always seemed like standard historical stuff like every city has with “this used to be that” & the word riot was never used. 4 or 5 years ago was when the race riot verbiage really started getting used here when they started looking for mass graves again. They just stated calling it a massacre within the past year.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 03, 2021, 11:45:35 PM »
when you learned about slavery in school I'm 100% certain that it was presented as if slavery ended with the emancipation proclamation. I don't recall any discussion with regard to black people and slavery when we talked about reconstruction, do you? Gilded Age, Industrial Revolution? Any of that, more?

i was raised in mhk, so i got a very pro-union, redemption of america thanks to john brown and kansas type spin on the civil war. but you're right, it was all very chapterized.  as i recall it, black people showed around 1840, evidencing an unfortunate problem that was soon solved and by 1870 or so we were back to railroads, political cartoons and minor wars.  black people maybe made a cameo here or there in unfortunate excesses or historic firsts until 1950 or so when the supreme court, mlk and the kennedys finally solved racism.

Yeah that all sounds about right. I've always assumed we're around the same age. History in the state of Kansas for elementary and middle schoolers was/is? standard based primarily around the Kansas History curriculum. Traveling around the county I was always really proud that Kansas History was as prominent in the curriculum that it was. That isn't a thing in the 5 other states I've lived in.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 07, 2021, 08:05:39 AM »
The “parents in favor of in person learning” for Olathe are VERY upset that the superintendent is attending this.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 07, 2021, 09:00:55 AM »
How is "equitable curriculum" defined and who defines it?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 07, 2021, 09:12:33 AM »
lmao dax

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 07, 2021, 09:14:07 AM »
Seems like a pretty simple question SD.

So  :lol: at you

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 07, 2021, 09:19:03 AM »

Finding that crap out is literally the point of the forum dax

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 07, 2021, 09:29:04 AM »

Finding that crap out is literally the point of the forum dax

LOL, oh SD I’ve attended copious amounts of conferences with educators and somebody’s will walk in there with it already defined.  They’ll round table the eff out of it and convince themselves they’ve helped define what has already been defined for them.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 07, 2021, 09:43:07 AM »
They need to get a geography/English teacher in there.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 07, 2021, 09:53:56 AM »
I bet antifa is involved
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 07, 2021, 10:09:50 AM »
The tapouts are accelerating aka Everyday with the ProgFascists/Fake Centrists of gE

Deflectometer:  2000%

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 07, 2021, 10:26:57 AM »
A lot of the CRT hubbub seems to be about books that are taught in some children's curricula.  I looked up one of them, which was apparently taught to kindergarteners in Illinois.  "Not My Idea - A Book About Whiteness."  Some of the stuff in there seems pretty intense to be taught to 6 year olds.  Below is an interesting interview between an Atlantic writer, who challenges and critiques the author's POV a bit, and the author:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/06/anastasia-higginbotham-not-my-idea-children-police-killings/619087/

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 07, 2021, 11:05:44 AM »
A lot of the CRT hubbub seems to be about books that are taught in some children's curricula.  I looked up one of them, which was apparently taught to kindergarteners in Illinois.  "Not My Idea - A Book About Whiteness."  Some of the stuff in there seems pretty intense to be taught to 6 year olds.  Below is an interesting interview between an Atlantic writer, who challenges and critiques the author's POV a bit, and the author:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/06/anastasia-higginbotham-not-my-idea-children-police-killings/619087/

How many Illinois kindergartners were read that book?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 07, 2021, 11:14:11 AM »

How many Illinois kindergartners were read that book?
I don't know.  Apparently it was used in the Evanston/Skokie school district, at least per a lawsuit filed by a teacher. But that book (and books like it) seems like the boogeyman anti-CRT people are losing their crap over.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 07, 2021, 01:24:25 PM »

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 07, 2021, 01:39:03 PM »