Author Topic: Happy "retirement" oscar, now let's find your replacement  (Read 17638 times)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Happy "retirement" oscar, now let's find your replacement
« Reply #175 on: April 07, 2021, 12:28:26 PM »
OU and UT are the big winners of the carousel so far, IMO.  Hoping for something interesting from Arizona here.

Would take Miller for KSU but is the NCAA done with him?

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 07, 2021, 12:31:00 PM »
every coach is worse at on-court coaching when their recruiting gets worse

i'm saying he was bad even with the talent...it would be REALLY ugly (=worse than your average D1 coach) without it...

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 07, 2021, 12:59:32 PM »
OU and UT are the big winners of the carousel so far, IMO.  Hoping for something interesting from Arizona here.

Would take Miller for KSU but is the NCAA done with him?

He's probably not going to get hammered by the NCAA, I think the max he gets is a one year show cause. Their findings pretty much absolved him personally.

I don't think he's good enough to bother, he's 29-27 in conference since he got caught cheating. He'll get another job, but I doubt that his next job will be with a high major conference.

He's 2 years older than Scott Drew.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 07, 2021, 01:01:37 PM »
Well we hired Weber who was probably much worse in the same timespan at Illinois. 

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 07, 2021, 01:03:27 PM »
Well we hired Weber who was probably much worse in the same timespan at Illinois.

of course weber was squeaky clean and also looked like less of a mongoloid

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 07, 2021, 01:42:22 PM »
I can't get over him sweating his ass off to the point where his shirt was see through.  That was gross, do not want.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 07, 2021, 01:53:01 PM »
I can't get over him sweating his ass off to the point where his shirt was see through.  That was gross, do not want.

Yes. The only thing desirable about him is that he lost one of the best tournament games o.a.t. to EMAW. Even though he's made two elite 8s he's kind of a bum. The list of coaches with 2 of those aren't elite, guys like Ernie Kent, Jim O'Brien, Bill Guthridge (rip), and Mike Montgomery.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 07, 2021, 02:18:56 PM »

Yes. The only thing desirable about him is that he lost one of the best tournament games o.a.t. to EMAW.

That was Chris Mack!

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 07, 2021, 02:22:36 PM »

Yes. The only thing desirable about him is that he lost one of the best tournament games o.a.t. to EMAW. Even though he's made two elite 8s he's kind of a bum. The list of coaches with 2 of those aren't elite, guys like Ernie Kent, Jim O'Brien, Bill Guthridge (rip), and Mike Montgomery.

i didnt even remember jim obrien coached in college...thought he was only nba

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 07, 2021, 02:23:45 PM »

Yes. The only thing desirable about him is that he lost one of the best tournament games o.a.t. to EMAW.

That was Chris Mack!

Damn, that's right

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 07, 2021, 02:24:35 PM »

Boston College and Ohio State. I don't remember him in the NBA. Did he coach the celtics?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 07, 2021, 02:25:47 PM »
Also, five conference titles is pretty damn impressive, number of Elite Eights isn't a good measure for evaluating the performance of a coach

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 07, 2021, 02:28:42 PM »

Boston College and Ohio State. I don't remember him in the NBA. Did he coach the celtics?
Different Jim O'Brien but there was a guy with that name who coached the Celtics

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_O%27Brien

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 07, 2021, 04:05:50 PM »

Different Jim O'Brien but there was a guy with that name who coached the Celtics

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_O%27Brien

3 different ones! all spelled the same, all born within 22 months of each other, all in basketball. Anyway the one who coached for Ohio State may as well be Sean Miller, and they're both mediocre.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #189 on: April 07, 2021, 09:25:04 PM »
miller's ceiling is higher than anything k-state basketball has ever had. in year four of a dramatic rebuild, he had zona as the 14th best team in KenPom. then 2nd best (33-5 overall). then 3rd best (34-4 overall). then zona fell off for a couple years—to 19th and 18th. yes, crap hit the fan in recent years, but it was far from a nosedive even despite all the NCAA stuff. they were 19th last year and 29th this year.

miller put 13 guys in the NBA in a decade, including three players in the '20 draft. five of his former players went top 10, including deandre ayton 1st overall in '18. almost all of them left early. part of the reason he hasn't been able to sustain top-10 level success every year is because he recruits guys who are too good to stay three or four years!

what a nice problem to have.

when weber's players leave early, it's almost always to transfer to another school!

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 07, 2021, 09:26:18 PM »
miller's ceiling is higher than anything k-state basketball has ever had. in year four of a dramatic rebuild, he had zona as the 14th best team in KenPom. then 2nd best (33-5 overall). then 3rd best (34-4 overall). then zona fell off for a couple years—to 19th and 18th. yes, crap hit the fan in recent years, but it was far from a nosedive even despite all the NCAA stuff. they were 19th last year and 29th this year.

miller put 13 guys in the NBA in a decade, including three players in the '20 draft. five of his former players went top 10, including deandre ayton 1st overall in '18. almost all of them left early. part of the reason he hasn't been able to sustain top-10 level success every year is because he recruits guys who are too good to stay three or four years!

when weber's players leave early, it's almost always to transfer to another school!
THIS IS OUR HUGGY!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #191 on: April 07, 2021, 09:28:15 PM »
THIS IS OUR HUGGY!

yessir. highly regarded coach who is available almost entirely due to character issues who will win big wherever he goes.

it's not even a hard decision. and compared to self, he's practically a choir boy.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 07, 2021, 09:50:24 PM »
Can he go get some GRCOAT pieces committed to him before we give him the gig?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 07, 2021, 09:57:41 PM »
if he can sign herb pope, i’m a miller fan4lyfe

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 07, 2021, 10:01:05 PM »
Hell yeah, eff dokish.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 07, 2021, 10:45:13 PM »

Should I be more impressed with his 8-10 conference record in '19 when he had no nba draft picks on the roster, or more impressed with the whopping 2 game improvement in '20 when he signed a top 5 class and had 3 draft picks?

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 07, 2021, 11:25:51 PM »
is it really fair to call it "putting players in the nba" when u are just bribing 5-stars to come play for u, and not developing them in any noticeable way?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 07, 2021, 11:36:46 PM »
is it really fair to call it "putting players in the nba" when u are just bribing 5-stars to come play for u, and not developing them in any noticeable way?
Yes

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 08, 2021, 02:40:13 AM »

No.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 08, 2021, 06:43:19 AM »
Signing Herb Pope is an impossible dream for any coach.