Author Topic: Happy "retirement" oscar, now let's find your replacement  (Read 17641 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Happy "retirement" oscar, now let's find your replacement
« Reply #125 on: March 21, 2021, 06:39:31 PM »
i'm not sure what the rules are, but would k-state have to take on sister jean or how does that work?
not worth it if so

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #127 on: March 22, 2021, 04:31:03 PM »
Just burn it down. Eff KState basketball.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 22, 2021, 06:11:24 PM »
Greg McDermott can be our Dana Altman.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 22, 2021, 06:20:19 PM »

They didn’t hire him
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 22, 2021, 06:23:03 PM »

They didn’t hire him

even if they did, we don't have an opening and there are always Craig Smiths available

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 22, 2021, 07:05:51 PM »

They didn’t hire him

even if they did, we don't have an opening and there are always Craig Smiths available

Yea they are all over the place, it’s kind of reassuring really.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 22, 2021, 10:39:44 PM »

They didn’t hire him

Yeah, that hire wouldn't exactly be out-of-the-box or innovative.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #133 on: March 22, 2021, 11:44:56 PM »

They didn’t hire him

he's not even the best smith!

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #134 on: April 02, 2021, 05:03:39 PM »
gene should call these coaches, in the following order, and offer them the job:

1. john beilein - beilein is out of coaching, but you know he won't be for long. he made a mistake exiting college for the cavs and now needs a compelling reason to get back into it. k-state can appeal to him: beilein loves to rebuild programs. he's been doing it his whole career - from le moyne to canisius to richmond to west virginia to michigan. this is a perfect opportunity. beyond that, he can bring his son, patrick, aboard and groom him to be the coach-in-waiting. patrick is a rising star who will need to rehab his image after resigning from niagara for "personal reasons."

2. rick pitino - this would be bob huggins part II. pitino used iona to rehab his image, and now we've all forgotten about the bad crap he did. would he leave iona for k-state given that he probably prefers to live in NY? maybe. but here's how to sweeten it: offer for his son, richard, to come aboard and become the head-coach-in-waiting. richard has a bright future despite "failing" at minnesota. the conference has been brutally hard and he's been very unlucky between signing one trainwreck recruiting class and then having bad luck with injuries. rick would love the opportunity to coach alongside his son at a school with a legit chance to go all the way. (richard hired by new mexico already)

3. sean miller - great recruiter and program builder. would orchestrate an immediate turnaround. can go toe-to-toe with bill self when it comes to cheating for recruits. very good chance he splits from arizona. this would be a huggins-like landing spot for him - a chance to rebuild his image while other schools will take a pass due to ncaa sanctions, fbi, etc baggage.

4. kelvin sampson - he took wazzu, okla, indiana and now houston to the ncaa tourney. capable of immediate turnarounds. willing to cheat. highly likely to say no, as he's 65 and has lived in houston for a decade now extending back to his time w the rockets. but at least reach out to see if he's interested in a return to the big 12. (too good for us now, made FF)

5. porter moser - great coach and better person. has proven he can do more with less. k-state is not a catholic school however and moser values religion. he also previously turned down offers from UNLV and st john's. he will say no - but gene should make him say no.

6. kyle smith - big schools will come after him in a few years after he leads wazzu to a top-4 pac-12 finish and ncaa tourney appearance in 2022. k-state has a chance to be early before his stock surges and not have to compete with better schools willing to offer more money.

7. frank martin - i don't love this, as i think frank is an overrated coach. but as far as infusing energy into the program and having the fanbase go batshit crazy, it would be hard to argue against bringing him back. he loved k-state but hated john currie. he would be embraced and his time at south carolina is ending soon.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1378096792017977344

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 02, 2021, 05:06:00 PM »
Damn. Nice get for the Sooners.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 02, 2021, 05:32:46 PM »
Do you think Gene has even noticed any of these moves in the B12?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 02, 2021, 05:36:39 PM »
Do you think Gene has even noticed any of these moves in the B12?
Nope

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 02, 2021, 09:21:45 PM »
Keeping oscar is ridiculous.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 02, 2021, 10:00:56 PM »

More ridiculous now than three weeks ago?

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 02, 2021, 10:16:12 PM »

More nauseating probably a better word
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 03, 2021, 09:52:41 AM »

What I'm asking is has your opinion on this shifted since other programs hired coaches?

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 03, 2021, 10:45:00 AM »
You look around the B12 and you see AD's with a plan and commitment to their basketball programs/coaches.

Hell, if Tech is will to pay the next coach close to what they were paying Beard, they could make a really damn good hire and still be in a good place as well.

Then we have Gene/oscar (Maybe TCU is a somewhat similar situation??)

Every time I hear Gene talk, he seems more and more losery to me.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 03, 2021, 10:51:20 AM »

What I'm asking is has your opinion on this shifted since other programs hired coaches?

It galvanizes my opinion that COVID is a lousy excuse for giving someone a free pass, since the carousel is spinning just as fast if not faster than in previous years. The only leeway I would give is that with so many higher profile jobs opening up it reduces the chances we get Our Guy, whomstever that may be.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 03, 2021, 10:52:06 AM »
The nice thing is the league is super strong so will probably continue to get 7 bids.  TCU, KSU, ISU and TTU get to Duke it out for the last spot this year. 

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 03, 2021, 12:20:51 PM »

It galvanizes my opinion that COVID is a lousy excuse for giving someone a free pass, since the carousel is spinning just as fast if not faster than in previous years. The only leeway I would give is that with so many higher profile jobs opening up it reduces the chances we get Our Guy, whomstever that may be.

Probably a bit of tangent here (and over reaction on Gene), but I see a large percentage of AD's that want to win and have excitement in their programs moving forward. If/when stadiums are allowed to be full this next season, they want them to be full. They want revenue in tickets and merch. There were serious trends of fans staying home before the pandemic, I don't think it's a given everyone will flock to fill stadiums every week/game next season. Especially if the product is garbage.

I just don't feel Gene gives a crap, or he feels our aw shucks fan base will just show up no matter the product on the field/court. Has he ever really pushed to sell tickets? Currie bragged about the sellout streak and did whatever it took to get fans in (hard for me to remember Bramlage, though). Feels like Gene lost the sellout streak pretty early on after taking the position and just does the bare minimum in most aspects of his position to keep getting paid.

K, I'll go get high now.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 03, 2021, 12:45:17 PM »
You look around the B12 and you see AD's with a plan and commitment to their basketball programs/coaches.

Hell, if Tech is will to pay the next coach close to what they were paying Beard, they could make a really damn good hire and still be in a good place as well.

Then we have Gene/oscar (Maybe TCU is a somewhat similar situation??)

Every time I hear Gene talk, he seems more and more losery to me.

A couple things.
Tech isn't going to pay anything close to what they paid Beard, they will end up paying someone similar to what Otzelberger is making. Kirby sounded like such an unconfident loser who is so mad his cheerleader girlfriend left him for the star quarterback.

I do think that oscar should have been fired, I was the one saying that COVID was a bullshit excuse and seemingly very few people wanted to hear it. I'm not happy that oscar is staying and I'm not overly excited about the two transfers. The 5'7" kid is absolutely going to be a huge defensive liability. I'm already having nightmares of he and Bradford defending pick and rolls.

That being said I really don't think that Gene is any different than most other ADs in the country. You guys constantly criticize him for mailing it in or some other crap, forgetting me forced Snyder out when no one in the country expected that to happen and I doubt very few would have. Outside of Joe C. at OU, who has done anything worth turning flips over? Hell, even he, does Porter Moser really keep you up at night? Doesn't me.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 03, 2021, 12:49:19 PM »
I worry a little about Porter Moser locking down KC recruiting but yeah. Tech is going to hire an assistant from within or some mid major flavor of the month and hope for the best like our peer schools almost always do.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 03, 2021, 12:57:11 PM »
Hell, even he, does Porter Moser really keep you up at night? Doesn't me.

Naw, I just see a plan and a reason to stay engaged as an fan of OU.

With K-State, the product on the court appears to mean almost nothing next year. The team will be very similar to this seasons, and my fear is our only solid players will be looking elsewhere before any changes can be made, and then we're looking at another 2-3 years before we see solid improvement.

Hard to get excited about the program moving forward (I still will the weeks leading up to the start of next season, but most probably won't?)

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 03, 2021, 12:57:56 PM »

My opinion that oscar should be replaced has strengthened as other programs have made changes around us.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 01:40:42 PM by nicname »