Author Topic: Happy "retirement" oscar, now let's find your replacement  (Read 17652 times)

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
Happy "retirement" oscar, now let's find your replacement
« on: March 08, 2021, 07:15:47 PM »
gene should call these coaches, in the following order, and offer them the job:

1. john beilein - beilein is out of coaching, but you know he won't be for long. he made a mistake exiting college for the cavs and now needs a compelling reason to get back into it. k-state can appeal to him: beilein loves to rebuild programs. he's been doing it his whole career - from le moyne to canisius to richmond to west virginia to michigan. this is a perfect opportunity. beyond that, he can bring his son, patrick, aboard and groom him to be the coach-in-waiting. patrick is a rising star who will need to rehab his image after resigning from niagara for "personal reasons."

2. rick pitino - this would be bob huggins part II. pitino used iona to rehab his image, and now we've all forgotten about the bad crap he did. would he leave iona for k-state given that he probably prefers to live in NY? maybe. but here's how to sweeten it: offer for his son, richard, to come aboard and become the head-coach-in-waiting. richard has a bright future despite "failing" at minnesota. the conference has been brutally hard and he's been very unlucky between signing one trainwreck recruiting class and then having bad luck with injuries. rick would love the opportunity to coach alongside his son at a school with a legit chance to go all the way.

3. sean miller - great recruiter and program builder. would orchestrate an immediate turnaround. can go toe-to-toe with bill self when it comes to cheating for recruits. very good chance he splits from arizona. this would be a huggins-like landing spot for him - a chance to rebuild his image while other schools will take a pass due to ncaa sanctions, fbi, etc baggage.

4. kelvin sampson - he took wazzu, okla, indiana and now houston to the ncaa tourney. capable of immediate turnarounds. willing to cheat. highly likely to say no, as he's 65 and has lived in houston for a decade now extending back to his time w the rockets. but at least reach out to see if he's interested in a return to the big 12.

5. porter moser - great coach and better person. has proven he can do more with less. k-state is not a catholic school however and moser values religion. he also previously turned down offers from UNLV and st john's. he will say no - but gene should make him say no.

6. kyle smith - big schools will come after him in a few years after he leads wazzu to a top-4 pac-12 finish and ncaa tourney appearance in 2022. k-state has a chance to be early before his stock surges and not have to compete with better schools willing to offer more money.

7. frank martin - i don't love this, as i think frank is an overrated coach. but as far as infusing energy into the program and having the fanbase go batshit crazy, it would be hard to argue against bringing him back. he loved k-state but hated john currie. he would be embraced and his time at south carolina is ending soon.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Happy "retirement" oscar, now let's find your replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 07:26:04 PM »
I’d kill a drifter to get Sean Miller.  Kelvin Sampson makes more than oscar and can back the money truck up to Houston anytime he wants.  The two geriatrics at the top of your list are a hard pass. Never heard of the other guys.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 07:28:47 PM »
Sean Miller?  My god.  I would get basketball tickets again!

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 07:33:02 PM »
I’d kill a drifter to get Sean Miller.  Kelvin Sampson makes more than oscar and can back the money truck up to Houston anytime he wants.  The two geriatrics at the top of your list are a hard pass. Never heard of the other guys.

lol at age 68 being "geriatric." LHC Bill Snyder is the oldest-looking upper 60s/early 70s coach i've ever seen (in fairness, it's the glasses) and he made it to age 78. beilein and pitino could give seven years no problem and hand off to their sons anytime.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 07:35:53 PM »
Chris Lowery

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 08:01:26 PM »
Rick Stansbury. He has successfully recruited NBA talent to Western Kentucky. Got to be worth an interview.

Thad Matta: retired for health reasons after a very successful stretch at Ohio State. Said to have regained his health and interested in coaching once again.

Brad: Should be the first phone call out of simple courtesy. I know he makes a mint, but he's also been quoted as saying K-State is his dream job. However much it would take would be worth it. Would note he is likely to lose the core of what could be a national champion team.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 08:06:17 PM »
Chris Lowery

chris lowery is an artist when it comes to turning programs around. he took an already-built southern illinois program and drove it straight into the ground, it would be interesting to see if he could do the opposite: take an already-cratered program and build it back to a winner!

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 08:16:12 PM »
Chris Lowery

chris lowery is an artist when it comes to turning programs around. he took an already-built southern illinois program and drove it straight into the ground, it would be interesting to see if he could do the opposite: take an already-cratered program and build it back to a winner!

Talk about a hire that would not sell a single season ticket and be viewed as the athletic department raising the white flag on the program. He would surely carry on the Oscar tradition of defense-first teams with horrible offenses, so yeah probably.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2021, 08:18:18 PM »
boy did this board need another oscar replacement thread since the two pinned ones weren’t good enough for “j fake”

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2021, 08:20:03 PM »
Rick Stansbury. He has successfully recruited NBA talent to Western Kentucky. Got to be worth an interview.

stansbury is very underrated. it wouldn't be an exciting hire, but they could do a lot worse.

Thad Matta: retired for health reasons after a very successful stretch at Ohio State. Said to have regained his health and interested in coaching once again.

for years, i made fun of thad's awful sideline demeanor. then an ohio state fan told me had drop foot. whoops! i agree he would be an excellent hire, and it's crazy that he's only 53 years old.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2021, 08:22:36 PM »
boy did this board need another oscar replacement thread since the two pinned ones weren’t good enough for “j fake”

my eyes are trained to never look at pinned stuff.  :frown:

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2021, 09:13:44 PM »

my eyes are trained to never look at pinned stuff.  :frown:
Ight bet

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2021, 09:49:45 PM »

it's crazy that he's only 53 years old.

WHAT??? So it looks like he was 37 when he got the Ohio State job. Had no idea.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2021, 09:53:34 PM »
I’ll take all of jrakes options. TIA
:adios:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2021, 10:02:46 PM »
Yes, I would take them, too! Except maybe Pitino, because I don't like the vibes from the tryst that led to him paying for an abortion. (I am not familiar with the details)

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2021, 10:07:29 PM »
Yes, I would take them, too! Except maybe Pitino, because I don't like the vibes from the tryst that led to him paying for an abortion. (I am not familiar with the details)

Every detail I've heard makes Pitino look even worse.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2021, 10:26:37 PM »
Rather than pick from Rake's list, we should can Gene's ass and install Rake.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2021, 10:30:49 PM »
Rake would have hired Klieman fwiw

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2021, 10:32:26 PM »
If he’s healthy, I’m all in on Matta

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2021, 12:31:53 AM »
Just read Wichita State has reached out to Matta. Gene needs to do a HCBS thing with Oscar stat, and go get Matta.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2021, 12:38:07 AM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2021, 12:38:47 AM »
Just read Wichita State has reached out to Matta. Gene needs to do a HCBS thing with Oscar stat, and go get Matta.

Uh, Wichita State has a coach.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2021, 09:18:57 AM »
Rake would have hired Klieman fwiw

klieman got screwed by injuries/covid last year. it was still the best hire of all available options, including the dreadful seth LittreLL, and he will do okay going forward. NDSU didn't become what it was until klieman arrived as coordinator and ultimately head coach, and now with klieman gone, we're starting to see the slow erosion of the program - NDSU pretty much sucks this year.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2021, 09:43:43 AM »
Tell me more about Sean Miller’s resume and accomplishments I’m still kind of on the fence.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2021, 10:50:06 AM »
Tell me more about Sean Miller’s resume and accomplishments I’m still kind of on the fence.

He hasn't won a tournament game since 2017. In 2018 when he had one of the most bought and paid for rosters in college basketball he did win a weak ass Pac 12 but they proceeded to get bounced in the first round. Since Arizona got busted cheating he has finished 8th, and 5th twice in a consistently bad Pac 12 conference. If he isn't at Arizona next year it will be because he hasn't been a good coach since the NCAA cut the Nike faucet off. Can the dude even coach? He had a top 5 class in 2019 and #7 in 2020 and he can't win enough to make the tournament in by far the weakest high major conference.

He may also get a show cause like Dan Mullen did. They were both charged with not promoting an environment of compliance, which I'm guessing the NCAA are now going to give every head coach with assistants who get caught cheating.