Author Topic: Happy "retirement" oscar, now let's find your replacement  (Read 17639 times)

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Happy "retirement" oscar, now let's find your replacement
« Reply #150 on: April 03, 2021, 01:04:27 PM »
I worry a little about Porter Moser locking down KC recruiting but yeah. Tech is going to hire an assistant from within or some mid major flavor of the month and hope for the best like our peer schools almost always do.

They were willing to pay Beard close to $30 million over the next 4 years. We weren't willing to pay oscar's $2 million buyout.

While I could see them making a mid-major mistake, I could also seeing them paying Pitino or Underwood.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 03, 2021, 01:05:15 PM »
I worry a little about Porter Moser locking down KC recruiting but yeah. Tech is going to hire an assistant from within or some mid major flavor of the month and hope for the best like our peer schools almost always do.

I think OU hired the wrong valley coach. Devries has been just as good as Mosier has since he's become a head coach and Devires has been much better at acquiring high school and transfer talent. Mosier has been very unremarkable recruiting and on the court outside of the elite 8 year.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 03, 2021, 01:05:31 PM »
i'd argue the league has gotten weaker coaching/recruitingwise, so weber should be fine.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 03, 2021, 01:09:36 PM »

They were willing to pay Beard close to $30 million over the next 4 years. We weren't willing to pay oscar's $2 million buyout.

While I could see them making a mid-major mistake, I could also seeing them paying Pitino or Underwood.

I promise you that they are going to hire one of the head coaches from the Texas and Oklahoma mid majors with Texas ties, or their current lead assistant, Mark Adams, or Darvin Ham.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 03, 2021, 01:11:24 PM »
Oh, I know. My money is on McCasland from North Texas.

I'm just saying, they've already proven they'll commit 10's of millions, so I could see it happening. I could never see it happening at K-State.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 03, 2021, 01:12:12 PM »
i'd argue the league has gotten weaker coaching/recruitingwise, so weber should be fine.

I agree with this.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 03, 2021, 01:13:53 PM »

I'm just saying, they've already proven they'll commit 10's of millions, so I could see it happening. I could never see it happening at K-State.

Come on man, we'd pay for the right coach, just like they did. If Bob Huggins graduated from Marshall University he'd still be the coach here.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 03, 2021, 01:16:32 PM »

Come on man, we'd pay for the right coach, just like they did. If Bob Huggins graduated from Marshall University he'd still be the coach here.

We hired him for like 700k per year. I'm talking about spending the money to bring a guy in.

Of course I think we'd continue/try to continue to pay for the guy that is already winning here.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 03, 2021, 01:47:00 PM »
And I kind of feel like there’s a small chance both Venables and Underwood would be at K-State today if we’ve always had the option to commit $30-40 million to a coaching move?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 03, 2021, 01:58:20 PM »
In Underwood's case it was probably poor timing rather than lack of resources. Maybe for BV to but I don't think I'd pay him $5 million a year or whatever it might have taken to get him to come here

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 03, 2021, 02:05:23 PM »
In Underwood's case it was probably poor timing rather than lack of resources. Maybe for BV to but I don't think I'd pay him $5 million a year or whatever it might have taken to get him to come here

Haha, yeah. I agree for the most part.

But if money is never the issue, oscar is fired/retired last month and a search committee would’ve already said Brad is the right guy for the job right now.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 03, 2021, 02:06:42 PM »

Haha, yeah. I agree for the most part.

But if money is never the issue, oscar is fired/retired last month and a search committee would’ve already said Brad is the right guy for the job right now.
Brad would not take our job right now even for $5 million a year IMO.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 03, 2021, 02:15:09 PM »
They’re saying Tech was going to up Beard to $35 million over the next 5 years.

If we have that money to offer Brad he is here before the sun sets.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 03, 2021, 03:06:42 PM »
They’re saying Tech was going to up Beard to $35 million over the next 5 years.

If we have that money to offer Brad he is here before the sun sets.
If we'd already had him and he'd built a program like Beard, yeah he'd probably stay. But I don't think he'd come for that much money today and I don't think he'd be worth it either. He'd get a nice raise at Illinois out of the deal and wouldn't have to mess with a rebuild.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 03, 2021, 03:29:58 PM »
Yeah, I don’t know. There are people that claim to know him that say he’d come here in a heartbeat.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 03, 2021, 04:09:26 PM »

We hired him for like 700k per year. I'm talking about spending the money to bring a guy in.

Of course I think we'd continue/try to continue to pay for the guy that is already winning here.

So you're skeptical about us doing something that only Texas, Kansas, North Carolina, and Kentucky have proven they're willing to do?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 03, 2021, 04:24:42 PM »
I'm still happy with oscar. Good work, Gene.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 03, 2021, 11:40:51 PM »

So you're skeptical about us doing something that only Texas, Kansas, North Carolina, and Kentucky have proven they're willing to do?

Lol, naw. My point from the start was that if Tech has $35-40 mill already budgeted over the next 5 years, I could see them making a crazy hire. Ya know, some scorned lover type crap.

Saying they could and we never would.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 04, 2021, 01:10:27 PM »

Lol, naw. My point from the start was that if Tech has $35-40 mill already budgeted over the next 5 years, I could see them making a crazy hire. Ya know, some scorned lover type crap.

What I think you're missing is that kind of money only really works at Tech with Beard  (and even then it didn't work). Any coach worth $5 million a year+ already has a much better job.

I think it's pretty likely that if oscar made it to a title game here and was recruiting like Beard had and didn't have consecutive last place seasons we'd be in the same ballpark as Tech (but probably lower because oscar is too old to get many looks).

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 04, 2021, 06:22:23 PM »

What I think you're missing is that kind of money only really works at Tech with Beard  (and even then it didn't work). Any coach worth $5 million a year+ already has a much better job.

I think it's pretty likely that if oscar made it to a title game here and was recruiting like Beard had and didn't have consecutive last place seasons we'd be in the same ballpark as Tech (but probably lower because oscar is too old to get many looks).

I'm literally not missing anything, dude. They had $35-40 million in the budget over the next 4-5 years, and their AD does a press conference going full butthurt little brother. Saying my money is on them taking the North Texas coach, but I could see them spending a shitload of money to try to look/stay big time, isn't missing anything. And honestly, it shouldn't surprise anyone if insecure Texas Tech money/donors do something dumb.

Offline J

• Katpak'r
  • Just call me "Hollywood"
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 05, 2021, 04:51:13 AM »
STEVE

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #171 on: April 07, 2021, 11:56:58 AM »
gene should call these coaches, in the following order, and offer them the job:

1. john beilein - beilein is out of coaching, but you know he won't be for long. he made a mistake exiting college for the cavs and now needs a compelling reason to get back into it. k-state can appeal to him: beilein loves to rebuild programs. he's been doing it his whole career - from le moyne to canisius to richmond to west virginia to michigan. this is a perfect opportunity. beyond that, he can bring his son, patrick, aboard and groom him to be the coach-in-waiting. patrick is a rising star who will need to rehab his image after resigning from niagara for "personal reasons."

2. rick pitino - this would be bob huggins part II. pitino used iona to rehab his image, and now we've all forgotten about the bad crap he did. would he leave iona for k-state given that he probably prefers to live in NY? maybe. but here's how to sweeten it: offer for his son, richard, to come aboard and become the head-coach-in-waiting. richard has a bright future despite "failing" at minnesota. the conference has been brutally hard and he's been very unlucky between signing one trainwreck recruiting class and then having bad luck with injuries. rick would love the opportunity to coach alongside his son at a school with a legit chance to go all the way. (richard hired by new mexico already)

3. sean miller - great recruiter and program builder. would orchestrate an immediate turnaround. can go toe-to-toe with bill self when it comes to cheating for recruits. very good chance he splits from arizona. this would be a huggins-like landing spot for him - a chance to rebuild his image while other schools will take a pass due to ncaa sanctions, fbi, etc baggage.

4. kelvin sampson - he took wazzu, okla, indiana and now houston to the ncaa tourney. capable of immediate turnarounds. willing to cheat. highly likely to say no, as he's 65 and has lived in houston for a decade now extending back to his time w the rockets. but at least reach out to see if he's interested in a return to the big 12. (too good for us now, made FF)

5. porter moser - great coach and better person. has proven he can do more with less. k-state is not a catholic school however and moser values religion. he also previously turned down offers from UNLV and st john's. he will say no - but gene should make him say no.

6. kyle smith - big schools will come after him in a few years after he leads wazzu to a top-4 pac-12 finish and ncaa tourney appearance in 2022. k-state has a chance to be early before his stock surges and not have to compete with better schools willing to offer more money.

7. frank martin - i don't love this, as i think frank is an overrated coach. but as far as infusing energy into the program and having the fanbase go batshit crazy, it would be hard to argue against bringing him back. he loved k-state but hated john currie. he would be embraced and his time at south carolina is ending soon.

https://twitter.com/sportscenter/status/1379839534452641798?s=21

Time for Mean Gene to make a move. This is Tim Weiser/Huggins all over again.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #172 on: April 07, 2021, 11:59:28 AM »
three elite eights, five sweet 16s, five conference titles, three conference tourney titles, lottery picks, good recruiting despite a conference that nosedived the last 6-8 years, cheating, scandal, winning, fun, Sean Miller, the difference is experience, experience the difference.

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 07, 2021, 12:26:38 PM »
three elite eights, five sweet 16s, five conference titles, three conference tourney titles, lottery picks, good recruiting despite a conference that nosedived the last 6-8 years, cheating, scandal, winning, fun, Sean Miller, the difference is experience, experience the difference.

i am convinced he is a terrible on-court coach.  and once the recruiting shenanigans dry up, what's left? 

anyway, rough week for the Miller bros.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 07, 2021, 12:27:59 PM »
every coach is worse at on-court coaching when their recruiting gets worse