Author Topic: What's your K-State FB outlook?  (Read 11797 times)

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
What's your K-State FB outlook?
« on: February 17, 2021, 11:14:57 AM »
Tell me how you feel about the future under Klieman? We're going into his 3rd season.

I just had a conversation about how going into year 3 w/ Ron, it felt like everyone knew he was going to fail. Just a lot of negativity. He started 12-9, then lost 4 in a row to miss a bowl by a game in year 2, but it felt bad. The second half of year 3 was a crap show and ended him. Also, Klieman got embarrassed the last half of this season, and they have been open about how there are/were lockerroom issues, etc., but it seems people are way more positive on him.

Obviously Kli is a much more likable personality, so that helps. Is it all around Skylar? (thinking it's a different 2020 season if he stays healthy? etc...)

But anyway, what is your outlook for the future under Coach Klieman? What kind of improvement do you need to see this year?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: What's your K-State FB outlook?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 11:37:29 AM »
Fair to fiddlin
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 12:59:47 PM »
Disappointing end this last season, but yea I think it would have been better if Thompson would have been healthy. I'm not leaning one way or the other with Klieman.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 01:21:03 PM »
development and on field coaching is good enough to get us to 6-6 in most normal years.

but the recruiting misses have me pretty certain at this point we won't be in the 9 to 11 regular season win range any time in the next five years.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 01:37:46 PM »
I think we Skylar 3:16 our way to 9+ wins in 2021.

Bold prediction: Klieman will have us in the Dr. P by the time Rubley graduates.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 01:53:39 PM »
but the recruiting misses

It's not basketball, there isn't a program in the country who lands all of their targets, not even Alabama.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 02:03:07 PM »
It would be good to land some of them though!
:adios:

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2021, 02:08:11 PM »
Dr Pepper or bust!  :ksu: :ksu: :ksu: :ksu: :ksu:

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2021, 06:47:33 PM »

It's not basketball, there isn't a program in the country who lands all of their targets, not even Alabama.

I generally agree with this but losing on Crawford is unbelievably bad.  All the indicators were a slam dunk for KSU.  Dudes uncle is the teams doctor and his cousins play on the football and basketball team.   Not sure what happened but this staff mumped up something in his recruitment bad. 

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2021, 06:52:00 PM »

I generally agree with this but losing on Crawford is unbelievably bad.  All the indicators were a slam dunk for KSU.  Dudes uncle is the teams doctor and his cousins play on the football and basketball team.   Not sure what happened but this staff mumped up something in his recruitment bad.

First of all, cats suck. I'm sorry, but they suck. If you disagree, well, then you're probably a cat cuck.

Secondly, maybe the young man just wanted to blaze his own path as opposed to doing what was expected. Maybe he doesn't like his uncle and/or cousins. RESPECT HIS DECISION.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2021, 07:01:05 PM »

First of all, cats suck. I'm sorry, but they suck. If you disagree, well, then you're probably a cat cuck.

Secondly, maybe the young man just wanted to blaze his own path as opposed to doing what was expected. Maybe he doesn't like his uncle and/or cousins. RESPECT HIS DECISION.

This is the hypothermia talking

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2021, 09:11:47 PM »

How can we be mad about losing him if we don't know anything about why he isn't coming here?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2021, 09:19:01 PM »

How can we be mad about losing him if we don't know anything about why he isn't coming here?

I don't have a kso subscription anymore so I don't know much about this kid or the basis of their freak out but why aren't we just taking this dude at his word?

https://n.rivals.com/news/hawkeyes-land-de-caden-crawford

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2021, 10:12:37 PM »
Iowa is a better school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2021, 10:36:13 PM »
Iowa is a better school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They had more alumni in the Super Bowl than any other school, I believe they had the first or second most in the playoffs, like 8 dudes. They have better recruits, more money, a bigger stadium, essentially better everything. They are probably the second best program in the Big 10. They're much more Texas than K-State.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2021, 08:49:37 AM »

I don't have a kso subscription anymore so I don't know much about this kid or the basis of their freak out but why aren't we just taking this dude at his word?

The consensus is that someone needs to be fired for this

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2021, 08:50:05 AM »
Also second best program in the big 10? Let's not get too carried away here

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2021, 09:23:44 AM »
development and on field coaching is good enough to get us to 6-6 in most normal years.

but the recruiting misses have me pretty certain at this point we won't be in the 9 to 11 regular season win range any time in the next five years.

I'm with you here. One of my biggest concerns w/ bringing in Klieman was his ability to put together a solid staff that is both solid in the X's and O's and bringing in the Jimmy's and Joe's.

As much as it's discussed that Klieman is respected nationally, I feel like his staff is way below average and has their recruiting trended up from Bill's? Asking that question says a lot, because I don't think that staff even tried.

Whether he can't improve his staff because people don't want to work under him, or he simply chooses not to make any changes, may be his downfall. Still too early jump to either conclusion, though.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2021, 09:29:34 AM »

Yeah, that claim was out there.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2021, 09:49:18 AM »
also I'm giving a covid pass for recruiting. I know everyone is dealing with it but CK's recruiting was looking pretty good when covid hit.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2021, 09:50:59 AM »

The consensus is that someone needs to be fired for this

That's stupid

Yeah, that claim was out there.

Not historically, but right now. If they aren't then who is? It sure in the hell isn't Michigan or Michigan State. Iowa has definitely passed Wisconsin and Penn State, again currently not historically. I know it's hard to fathom but there isn't another program that is recruiting as good as they are, producing more NFL talent, and winning as much as they have been the last decade or so. If y'all have data that proves me wrong, then do so, otherwise you're just saying "Iowa? Nah, can't be Iowa," without a damn thing to back that up.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2021, 09:56:45 AM »
No question Iowa is rolling right now on the recruiting trail. 

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2021, 10:14:41 AM »
People are pissed about Crawford because Iowa has been slapping us on the recruiting trail for the last few years, and then they come into KS, offer a kid that has multiple connections to our team, that we've been prioritizing very heavily for a long time, and he commits to Iowa without even taking a visit to Iowa City.  If we were ever going to get a recruit to choose us over Iowa*, Crawford (who is really good btw) fit that mold to a T. 

If CK/K-State is going to take that "next step," winning guys like Crawford seems imperative. 

All that said, the staff has done a decent job recovering after misses in the past (particularly with OL), and December is still a long ways off, so plenty of time to find a good DE.

And Iowa isn't the Big Ten's second best program right now gmab.  I would put Michigan, Penn State, and Wisconsin all above them. 

*I will say Rubley had an offer from Iowa

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2021, 10:20:17 AM »
FWIW, I like CK and think he can be very successful here, but it's going to be hard to get to the next level unless K-State steps it up a notch on the recruiting trail.  Matt Campbell has excelled while getting mid-50s type classes, but that route is awful hard/rare.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2021, 10:35:26 AM »
Crawford situation is weird, I think he snowed a lot of people on his lean to KSU.