Author Topic: CHIEFS/NFL Pit Thread  (Read 5812 times)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Re: CHIEFS/NFL Pit Thread
« Reply #125 on: February 18, 2021, 10:46:18 PM »
MIR, I honestly don’t think you care about the writer or did before this piece. I appreciate your feedback tho. We have work to do!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 18, 2021, 10:51:05 PM »
At the very least can you see how a rational person can be offended by this?

Honestly, a lot of white people can't be trusted to play it cool, a lot of people see us nothing more than caricatures. I mean Patrick sounds like Kermit, but would you be surprised to see this guy cosplaying Lamar Jackson and jive talking?
I definitely can, but I guess my point was this garbage below that I’m about to post. I think we’re kinda going crazy here. These two parents who adopted this child own a dance studio.

https://twitter.com/tariqnasheed/status/1362090110615842818?s=21

A couple of things here

1. Tariq Nasheed is a rage peddling eff face. He, like literally every single person who has posted any opinion on twitter ever, will have people agree with him. However, he also has a ton of black people in his mentions that can't stand him. That idiot only speaks for himself. You can find any opinion on anything you would ever want.

2. This nice couple didn't do anything wrong here, but if you're interested in progress and seeing things a different way, ask yourself why those people putting that kid in tap shoes COULD offend anyone. I'm guessing that you don't know the historical context, and I know for a fact those people don't, otherwise they wouldn't have put that video on social media. I see that video and I think it's a bad look, but I would give those people grace, try to educate them and hope they take the lesson, and don't be defensive about it, but everyone ain't me.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 19, 2021, 08:12:26 AM »
 :thumbs: Fair enough and I agree.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 19, 2021, 08:28:45 AM »
MIR, I remember you saying you hated Dear Evan Hansen because the characters were self-serving and every interaction felt transactional.  But it seems like here you are suggesting this couple should not share an exciting moment for their family solely because of how it could be perceived by strangers on social media?

I appreciate you saying that YOU as one of the warm and enlightened distant observers would extend some grace before judging too harshly, but why on earth should that not be the minimum standard for every person who doesn't know a single thing about this family?  Part of the irony of your statement is that you're suggesting the couple should be aware of the history of racial relations in the US before adopting a black child (not saying I disagree), but that people can legitimately pass judgment on this family who don't know anything about them beyond like a 10 second video clip.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 19, 2021, 10:16:06 AM »
MIR, I remember you saying you hated Dear Evan Hansen because the characters were self-serving and every interaction felt transactional.  But it seems like here you are suggesting this couple should not share an exciting moment for their family solely because of how it could be perceived by strangers on social media?

I appreciate you saying that YOU as one of the warm and enlightened distant observers would extend some grace before judging too harshly, but why on earth should that not be the minimum standard for every person who doesn't know a single thing about this family?  Part of the irony of your statement is that you're suggesting the couple should be aware of the history of racial relations in the US before adopting a black child (not saying I disagree), but that people can legitimately pass judgment on this family who don't know anything about them beyond like a 10 second video clip.

1. Amazing memory on my Dear Evan Hansen review, nailed it.

2. I don't think they should have held the post back because of how it would be perceived on social media. I think if they knew the historical context they likely would have thought twice about not leaving that as an intimate moment for their family only. I know that's a pretty narrow distinction, but it's one nonetheless.

3. I do think the standard should be to cut these people some slack, but I'm not going to get all upset at people who don't, in most cases anyway, like with everything else people can get extreme with their assessments and I couldn't roll with that. White people consistently want the benefit of the doubt but as a whole minorities are given reasons literally every single day to absolutely not believe that white people on the whole don't have our best interests in mind and absolutely don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. After I post this I'm going to run today's headlines in a news aggregation app I use and I bet you I'll find a minimum of five headlines that tell me that, no I shouldn't automatically give the benefit of the doubt. I personally choose to do so because I think it's a miserable experience to always get pissed about white people doing things they may be completely unaware that are harmful. I think this is a product of spending my entire life being the only black dude more than anything else. If I grew up in NYC, DC, or in the deep South, I'd probably be a lot less forgiving.