Author Topic: CHIEFS/NFL Pit Thread  (Read 5920 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: CHIEFS/NFL Pit Thread
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2021, 03:01:46 PM »
Pretty far off topic, but the halloween costume talk reminded me.  I saw a kid, prolly 9 or 10, dressed up like a lumberjack.  Which is a pretty cool costume.  What was even cooler is he was walking around with a real hatchet.  I said, "holy crap, kid, is that a real hatchet?!" He said, "Yeah" then spun around and almost smacked his little sister in the head with it.  I said, "well, have fun.  Be careful with that.  Jesus Christ." and they went on their merry way.

I think the kids made it home in one piece.  Maybe next year he'll have a chainsaw.

lol, is this real?

Offline Jobu

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2021, 03:03:19 PM »
Pretty far off topic, but the halloween costume talk reminded me.  I saw a kid, prolly 9 or 10, dressed up like a lumberjack.  Which is a pretty cool costume.  What was even cooler is he was walking around with a real hatchet.  I said, "holy crap, kid, is that a real hatchet?!" He said, "Yeah" then spun around and almost smacked his little sister in the head with it.  I said, "well, have fun.  Be careful with that.  Jesus Christ." and they went on their merry way.

I think the kids made it home in one piece.  Maybe next year he'll have a chainsaw.

lol, is this real?

Absolutely. 
Make a joke and I will sigh, and you will laugh and I will cry.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2021, 03:06:28 PM »
i saw the picture and thought it was pretty mundane, tbh, but i guess it's in the eye of the beholder.  given the teacher's lack of malicious intent, it seems like a silly issue to get super worked up about, but the writer certainly has the right to get worked up about it, and his readers have the right to think his opinion is dumb and dismissible.  comparing it to blackface seems disingenuous to me.

The author certainly didn't "get worked up about it," he expressed an opinion, he didn't call for anyone to get fired, he offered an alternate way to look at the situation, those things used to be of value, pretty clear that has been diminished. Of course anyone has the option to think his opinion is dumb and dismissable, that's well within anyone's right. It certainly sends a very strong message to dismiss a black man's opinion on white people wearing afros as dumb and dismissable. I have to wonder what opinion this gentleman has about things that he deems important to who he is, merits being taken seriously. I can't help but to extend that to how you feel about opinions that I have that you can't wrap your hands around.

No one compared this to blackface, so I don't know where you got that from. I do think they are very comparable though, as in most cases the intent isn't harm. I assure you that 99% of people wearing blackface didn't do so with the intent of offending anyone.

The headline of the article compared it to blackface.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2021, 03:12:33 PM »
i saw the picture and thought it was pretty mundane, tbh, but i guess it's in the eye of the beholder.  given the teacher's lack of malicious intent, it seems like a silly issue to get super worked up about, but the writer certainly has the right to get worked up about it, and his readers have the right to think his opinion is dumb and dismissible.  comparing it to blackface seems disingenuous to me.

The author certainly didn't "get worked up about it," he expressed an opinion, he didn't call for anyone to get fired, he offered an alternate way to look at the situation, those things used to be of value, pretty clear that has been diminished. Of course anyone has the option to think his opinion is dumb and dismissable, that's well within anyone's right. It certainly sends a very strong message to dismiss a black man's opinion on white people wearing afros as dumb and dismissable. I have to wonder what opinion this gentleman has about things that he deems important to who he is, merits being taken seriously. I can't help but to extend that to how you feel about opinions that I have that you can't wrap your hands around.

No one compared this to blackface, so I don't know where you got that from. I do think they are very comparable though, as in most cases the intent isn't harm. I assure you that 99% of people wearing blackface didn't do so with the intent of offending anyone.
By "worked up" i mean feel strongly enough about it to write an opinion article about it and publish it in the newspaper, and refer to the picture as "hideous."  It's not like this was a subtle passive critique -- not that I'm saying it needed to be.  Like I said, that's his prerogative, and mission accomplished: he got people to consider his argument -- it's just that a good portion of his audience disagreed with him pretty strongly about it -- which is their prerogative too.  I certainly don't think anyone should be threatening or doxxing him or going over the top in response, but his opinion that "wearing a patrick mahomes whig is distasteful" is subject to criticism too.  I don't think opinion articles are really supposed to be met with total deferential respect for the substance of the article. 

BTW, there is a comparison to blackface in the headline of the article: "White JoCo teacher’s Mahomes Afro wig isn’t quite blackface, but it’s a terrible look."  There's also a quote in the piece comparing it to blackface.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2021, 03:41:22 PM »
I've had multiple black people I know express discomfort with white people wearing Mahomes wigs.  I won't defend people wearing it at the expense of other people's discomfort.  Perhaps the most offensive thing to me in all of this is that a lot of white people think they can explain to black people how they should feel about it.  I don't fully understand this one but I sure as crap don't need to be wearing a Mahomes wig around either.

Are people explaining to black people how they should feel, or are they claiming those feelings don't really matter?

I think when white people proclaim something as inoffensive or allowable, it feels to me like they're telling black people how to feel about it.  I didn't mean it necessarily as a shot at the people in the thread as I think this group is largely more thoughtful than the public as a whole.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2021, 03:42:42 PM »

By "worked up" i mean feel strongly enough about it to write an opinion article about it and publish it in the newspaper, and refer to the picture as "hideous."  It's not like this was a subtle passive critique -- not that I'm saying it needed to be.  Like I said, that's his prerogative, and mission accomplished: he got people to consider his argument -- it's just that a good portion of his audience disagreed with him pretty strongly about it -- which is their prerogative too.  I certainly don't think anyone should be threatening or doxxing him or going over the top in response, but his opinion that "wearing a patrick mahomes whig is distasteful" is subject to criticism too.  I don't think opinion articles are really supposed to be met with total deferential respect for the substance of the article. 

BTW, there is a comparison to blackface in the headline of the article: "White JoCo teacher’s Mahomes Afro wig isn’t quite blackface, but it’s a terrible look."  There's also a quote in the piece comparing it to blackface.

Agree that the blackface was inflammatory.  I also think that writing an op-ed, much like posting in a bbs, there is little room for great content that doesn't take a bold stance.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2021, 03:47:21 PM »
i saw the picture and thought it was pretty mundane, tbh, but i guess it's in the eye of the beholder.

where did you see the photo?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2021, 03:51:45 PM »
i saw the picture and thought it was pretty mundane, tbh, but i guess it's in the eye of the beholder.

where did you see the photo?
shared in a groupme i'm in with his face blurred.  it wasn't a licensed charity pat mahomes whig fwiw, but he looked like what you'd expect a goofy choir teacher dressing up like pat mahomes on spirit day to look like.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2021, 04:31:40 PM »

The headline of the article compared it to blackface.

White JoCo teacher’s Mahomes Afro wig isn’t quite blackface, but it’s a terrible look
Authors of columns also don't write headlines, copy editors do.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2021, 04:51:05 PM »

No one is asking for total deference, but I don't understand doing anything other than saying "okay, good to know" if you can't understand why he feels that way. The pushback isn't a thirst for more knowledge to understand why he feels the way he does, it's a bunch of people telling him he's wrong, or assigning words to him that he didn't use, or crying about the media.

I'm not asking anyone to agree with his thoughts, y'all keep dancing around the fact that I said I don't agree with him. What is well beyond reasonable and what should be the decent thing to do is to not be dismissive on what he's telling you. His opinion comes from a place that all of the people, for some reason pissed that he expressed it, doesn't understand. You have the right to say, "i don't give a crap about your opinion" but just know that to people who empathize with him, you telling him that his opinion is wrong, stupid, or any of that crap, has severe repercussions.  He isn't offering his opinion about the chiefs offensive line, or what he thinks of everything bagels, he's telling you something very real about how he sees your world as an outsider, and the response he's been given speaks volumes about what people thinks about offering said opinion. I'm telling you the reaction is hideous, and I don't feel like the wigs are a big deal. I do know that I hold opinions as a black man, living, working, and playing around 80% white people that most would find trivial, and it is real discouraging that expressing that opinion would essentially lead to people telling me to shut the eff up and I have no right to express them to anyone but my other black friends.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2021, 06:54:17 PM »
But people do understand why he feels the way he does.  He wrote an entire article about it.  And if they read the article and still don’t understand, that may be a sign it wasn’t a very good article.  But I though he made his position and underlying rationale pretty clear.  Regardless just because people strongly disagree with him doesn’t mean they’re ignorant.

I don’t think I agree with the article, but that doesn’t mean I don’t have any respect for him or think he doesn’t have a right to say it or anything.  I don’t even know the guy.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2021, 07:42:23 PM »
I know/knew zero about the author when it popped up on Twitter. Just looked like another KC Star post where I roll my eyes a bit. Hope that doesn’t make me ignorant.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2021, 07:50:55 PM »
I usually view most KC Star opinion pieces as some white hipster new grad from KU, trying to out woke the next guy/gal on the internet. I literally, 100% in my minds eye never thought it might be an African American who wrote it. Nice digging, MIR.

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2021, 07:53:33 PM »
I know/knew zero about the author when it popped up on Twitter. Just looked like another KC Star post where I roll my eyes a bit. Hope that doesn’t make me ignorant.

Ignorant - lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about a particular thing.

You not knowing about the author or the particulars of his argument by definition makes you ignorant to the facts of the matter

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2021, 07:56:25 PM »
Shocking take by my guy, LN.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2021, 08:01:34 PM »
You should watch last week’s SNL, LN. you’re totally that liberal white guy from one of their skits I can’t find.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2021, 08:20:48 PM »
But people do understand why he feels the way he does.  He wrote an entire article about it.  And if they read the article and still don’t understand, that may be a sign it wasn’t a very good article.  But I though he made his position and underlying rationale pretty clear.  Regardless just because people strongly disagree with him doesn’t mean they’re ignorant.

I don’t think I agree with the article, but that doesn’t mean I don’t have any respect for him or think he doesn’t have a right to say it or anything.  I don’t even know the guy.

I didn't use the word ignorant nor did I intimate it, you're assigning an argument to me that I did not make, just like the people insisting that he's calling people who wear those wigs racists.

My simple point is that people shouldn't have their confusion or fear manifest itself as dismissing this gentleman's experience. He's speaking about what some people have done to make him feel uncomfortable with the hopes that people will see the situation differently. The people shouting him down have no reason to do so, they don't have to worry about going to work or school and be faced with how they will go through their day, they can make the choice to never think about that column ever again.

I think I'm done with this thread. In my 12 years here and on twitter, I don't think I have ever been so discouraged with how the people I surround myself with think about the world. I honestly thought that an opinion like this would cause so much consternation. The phrases woke and cancel culture have rotted our collective empathy and made us less tolerant and more cynical, frankly it's frightening.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2021, 08:27:01 PM »
MIR, open up your mind, stop being mad about everything, looking under every rock for reasons to be aggrieved isn't great for anyone's mental health and it is poisonous to our society, if you care about such things.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2021, 08:41:23 PM »

I didn't use the word ignorant nor did I intimate it, you're assigning an argument to me that I did not make, just like the people insisting that he's calling people who wear those wigs racists.

My simple point is that people shouldn't have their confusion or fear...
Maybe I misunderstood what you were talking about when you brought up people manifesting their confusion one way or the other.  I thought you meant that people disagreeing with the article fundamentally didn't understand the author's point. 

I don't think anyone in this thread has really gone wild one way or the other besides wacky, and well, it's wackycat. FWIW, I think you and him are the only ones who have used the term "woke" when discussing the article. 

I'm genuinely sorry if I said anything that contributed to your discouraged outlook on this.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 08:46:00 PM by DQ12 »

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2021, 08:51:08 PM »
MIR pretty much called me a white honky when I first brought this up. Some of you are better at articulating your opinions than I am. I’m having a really hard time believing this is the most disappointed he’s ever been with his internet friends. For someone who doesn’t care either way. I’m sorry too, MIR. But you’ve never had an opinion you’ve never backed down from before, so I don’t know why we do this song and dance all the time.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2021, 09:11:11 PM »
Also, overall, my point was to blast the Star that has went next level the past 5 years with some of these opinion pieces they promote. I guess it’s a good business model to promote what’s trending, but people have been reaching a lot these days. Brooke Pryor with Tyreek, pushing to change the Chiefs name, looking for ppl in KC who attended the rally (who didn’t riot) to expose them, etc. I’m not a trumper by any means, but there’s been a shift in coverage, & it’s blasting every person on earth who doesn’t think left. That was my point all along. It was just one of the many Twitter posts I viewed on the reg these days.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2021, 10:07:08 PM »
MIR, open up your mind, stop being mad about everything, looking under every rock for reasons to be aggrieved isn't great for anyone's mental health and it is poisonous to our society, if you care about such things.
Irony meters around the universe just exploded.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2021, 10:15:59 PM »
Wacky shut up. MIR whether you know it or not I love all people. They just need to be good people. Imo that was a stupid ass cheap opinion piece by someone looking to get people talking or stir the pot/pit. He/she because I still haven’t looked again if the opinion piece was done by a male or female was absolutely absurd

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2021, 10:16:41 PM »
Irony meters around the universe just exploded.
I used his own quote against him, Chings. That’s the irony.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2021, 10:58:59 PM »
The columnist should've anticipated that many would react to the column with dismissal or objection and cite Mahomes endorsing the hy-vee wigs as authority.

If I was the columnist, I'd have structured the column differently to help preemptively address that.  I'd start with being more descriptive about the immediate event that's prompting it, and it sounds like that was the teacher getting an afro wig and makeshifting stuff to make it part of a Mahomes costume, and describing my initial objection to needlessly using such a wig that is seemingly so associated with a race.  I'd then acknowledge that readers will cite Mahomes' endorsement and own branding of a somewhat similar thing and first distinguish the two and note that I wouldn't expect people to find as much issue with the latter, before stating why I think even the Mahomes-branded wig/headband combos are problematic and that Mahomes shouldn't have gone along with them.  Then bring it all back home to that I think the use of anything that involves using a different race or culture's natural characteristics for a costume is offensive.

Me personally, I don't find the Mahomes-endorsed wig/headband combos problematic but until this came up, I didn't think or know that his irl hairstyle was an afro or even had elements of an afro.  It's always looked to me like he's bitten the style of lily white puka shell steve dave, but with a headband instead of a visor.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 11:48:35 PM by Trim »