Author Topic: The Klandyman Can; Cat defense under dc Joe Klanderman  (Read 8995 times)

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: The Klandyman Can; Cat defense under dc Joe Klanderman
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2022, 03:04:41 PM »
How much are we going to have to pay to keep Klanderman?

You don't really get into a bidding war for coordinators. Just like Jim Knowles with Oklahoma State last season, if one of the big boys want to give your coordinator $2 million, you tip your hat, wish him luck, and believe in the other coaches in the room who helped with the game plans

Klieman is the secret sauce on defense, he will be able to replace Klandy if he gets poached.  Klein on the other hand…

I think we pay Klein. He’s our next head coach.

I'm confident that Klein is only leaving to be a head coach, I don't have that same confidence about Klanderman.

Yes. How long until his profile surpasses what Hazelton’s was when he left for Mich St?  It’s getting close imo. Maybe one more year of success.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2022, 03:09:56 PM »

You don't really get into a bidding war for coordinators. Just like Jim Knowles with Oklahoma State last season, if one of the big boys want to give your coordinator $2 million, you tip your hat, wish him luck, and believe in the other coaches in the room who helped with the game plans

Klieman is the secret sauce on defense, he will be able to replace Klandy if he gets poached.  Klein on the other hand…

I'm confident that Klein is only leaving to be a head coach, I don't have that same confidence about Klanderman.

Yes. How long until his profile surpasses what Hazelton’s was when he left for Mich St?  It’s getting close imo. Maybe one more year of success.
Without comparing metrics, feels like our defense is much better this year than any other during Klieman's tenure. Hard to say how much of that is talent vs coaching. Two shutouts this year with several other games with less than 14 allowed is pretty good.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2022, 03:38:09 PM »
We have nfl talent on the defense at all three levels. Makes a big difference. Also a lot of experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2022, 05:22:24 PM »
We have nfl talent on the defense at all three levels. Makes a big difference. Also a lot of experience

Agreed. Don't want to use that to degrade Klanderman, either. Defense is pretty damn good this year, will be interesting how he does next year after losing key pieces(assuming he's still here).
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2022, 05:55:46 PM »
Daniel Green is NFL talent?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2022, 05:58:12 PM »
I think he will get a chance for sure

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2022, 08:11:13 PM »

I think Klein is smart enough to know he will need several years of successful OCing before he's ready for a head coaching position.  I also think he knows how incredibly lucky and grateful he should be to have his first coaching gig be at a P5 program.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2022, 08:33:20 PM »

I think Klein is smart enough to know he will need several years of successful OCing before he's ready for a head coaching position.  I also think he knows how incredibly lucky and grateful he should be to have his first coaching gig be at a P5 program.

He’s not lucky, he put his nuts on the table when Messingham was let go and went and took the OC position.  I think he could have a P5 HC job offer as early as next year.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The Klandyman Can; Cat defense under dc Joe Klanderman
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2022, 08:45:17 PM »

He’s not lucky, he put his nuts on the table when Messingham was let go and went and took the OC position.  I think he could have a P5 HC job offer as early as next year.
But he could gamble for the Venzy route and hold out for big bucks instead of just any shot at the next level.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2022, 09:20:19 PM »

I'd be surprised.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2022, 06:47:00 AM »
There is no way Klein's next job is a P5 head coach*

*anywhere but Kansas State

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2022, 07:33:37 AM »
I say GT put his own nuts on the table, fire Klieman, and lock up Klein for the next 40 years

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2022, 08:14:00 AM »
I say GT put his own nuts on the table, fire Klieman, and lock up Klein for the next 40 years

OU did it to Bob we can do it to Klieman

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2022, 09:48:42 AM »
I think Klein is going to be head coach before Avery Johnson graduates.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2022, 10:47:43 AM »

I think he will definitely have opportunities somewhere. Whether he takes any, I am not so sure.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Hurricane Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2022, 10:49:21 AM »

Does Kleiman take another job or get fired?

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2022, 10:53:39 AM »

Retires

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2022, 11:19:19 AM »

Retires
Yes.  And he's rumbled that he expects to retire sooner than later.  Wouldn't be shocked if it was in the next 3-5 years.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2022, 11:26:01 AM »

Retires
Yes.  And he's rumbled that he expects to retire sooner than later.  Wouldn't be shocked if it was in the next 3-5 years.

Would be nice to keep the band together long enough to get into the first 12 team college football playoff with Avery and then transition the program to Klien.

Offline Hurricane Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2022, 08:43:22 PM »

Retires

Surprised to hear that.  I actually had 'retire' on the list, but decided he was too young . . .  If I could pull it off financially, I like the idea of retiring in my 50's.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2022, 02:41:43 AM »
have many coaches with success retired before 60? we're in good hands at least. klein feels different than all the other hot shot young coaches out there. more substance over style.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2022, 08:56:55 AM »
have many coaches with success retired before 60? we're in good hands at least. klein feels different than all the other hot shot young coaches out there. more substance over style.
It's pretty rare...Most head football coaches are journeymen who don't stay somewhere longer than 5 or 6 years.  Most (good) head coaches are also complete freaks who are addicted to working and watching film and all that stuff.  If CK isn't one of those freak personalities (and he actually may not be, who knows) then an early retirement wouldn't be that strange.

CK will have made tens of millions from Kansas State by that point.  If he wants to hang it up and kind of be done with the CFB HC grind, I wouldn't blame him or be too surprised.

On the topic of Klanderman, I'll be surprised if he's our DC next year.  I could see some Big Ten or SEC program is going to offer him a bag or he'll be HC of some MAC/Sun Belt school.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2022, 08:58:45 AM »
Stoops retired before 60

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2022, 09:01:36 AM »
Maybe.  NFL or not, he's certainly playing at an all-big 12 level.

For all the pub Felix gets (and all of it is well deserved), I think Brents gets overlooked and taken for granted a lot.  Julius Brents is probably on the Mt. Rushmore of K-State CBs.

My theory is that K-State's crappy first half against Texas in the run game had a lot to do with Brents' early ejection.  Easier to stop the run if you have a lockdown corner outside that can matchup with TEs AND Xavier Worthy (in addition to EBD over on the other side).  Plus a pretty good tackler in his own right.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2022, 09:06:44 AM »
Brents sets the edge, like an edge defender and he's a freaking corner.  HUGE reason for Texas success running the ball was him not being on the field.  He's been incredible.  His side of the field is locked down.  teams rarely find success against us outside the numbers.  Almost always over the middle or seams.