Author Topic: Journalist persecution/heroism (lol, thread is re: journalist self-importance)  (Read 23427 times)

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Also, no one gives a eff about the photographer. It's literally one dude complaining on twitter. That tweet had a whole 21 replies and 4 agreeing with the tweet. If I were to guess, that photographer works for the bills.

the original tweet is in the hundreds of RT's, but yeah the sports photog subgenre is pretty niche.
fwiw i absolutely love the bills guy's face and highsteppercat pose. it's perfect

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Also, no one gives a eff about the photographer. It's literally one dude complaining on twitter. That tweet had a whole 21 replies and 4 agreeing with the tweet. If I were to guess, that photographer works for the bills.

the original tweet is in the hundreds of RT's, but yeah the sports photog subgenre is pretty niche.
fwiw i absolutely love the bills guy's face and highsteppercat pose. it's perfect

I wish there’d been a table nearby for him to dive through too.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I just want people to take full advantage of this opportunity to crap all over ESPN.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Why can’t there just be different kinds of journalists. Like, what if we just say Schefter is more in the rumor business than hard hitting analysis and leave it at that?

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
are people actually surprised at the schefter thing

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
I rank sports reporters at exactly the same level as entertainment reporters and do not expect a level of ethics above entertainment tonight.

One of the funniest thing about sports journalism is the profession takes itself so seriously.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Not at all

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
oof

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I rank sports reporters at exactly the same level as entertainment reporters and do not expect a level of ethics above entertainment tonight.

One of the funniest thing about sports journalism is the profession takes itself so seriously.

yeah i love it when sports journos congratulate each other like "great scoop by xxxxx" or "great reporting by xxxx". literally anyone can regurgitate a leak from an agent or GM who is looking to leak something

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Sports journalists wanted to be sports players and then are around sports so much that they end up treating their jobs and profession like it’s sports too.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
lol

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
newest on the timeline

https://twitter.com/JerryDunleavy/status/1448343568704278533?s=20
All written interviews or stories about interviews are edited to tell the story the interviewer wants to tell. Are people just finding out about this? Did they think they were seeing verbatim transcripts?
:adios:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
As a former real life credentialed journalist, I am extremely qualified to say that that photojournalist is a total piece of crap and should be thrown in JAIL

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
As a former real life credentialed journalist, I am extremely qualified to say that that photojournalist is a total piece of crap and should be thrown in JAIL

He should be forced to write a human interest piece on X-Factor and submit it to the New York Times. If they decide to publish it, he can come back. If not, well he just got X'd.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Tbh, I kinda love the hate on journalism now. Like, we got an “easier” path to a degree. But you guys are acting like it’s a joke now, out of nowhere, when it’s been totally manipulated since 2008 when crap hit the fan. Most of us came out broke with 24k jobs. Now you guys are lol’ing about the field and everyone has left it. It’s honestly been a good lesson; on everything I’ve preached for the past 10 years. It’s all manipulated and washed, and Kurtz left today for it.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Remember the rough ridin' caping for Kellis after he made Jake cry and Frank yelled at him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Remember the rough ridin' caping for Kellis after he made Jake cry and Frank yelled at him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While he went home eating ramen. It totally sucks!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Schefter is a sports reporter and not a real journalist.  His job is to build relationships by leaking information that is given to him by someone who wants it leaked.  He works for ESPN, which has billions of dollars tied up in the entity he is reporting on.  Of course he takes care of his sources and does crap like this.  Anyways, what real insight does Schefter provide other than "Player X wants to be traded" and "Player Y is signing with whatever team?"

Also, I'm sorry the unprofessional Bills photographer hurt so many people's feelings.

A reporter is a journalist. What the hell do you think journalism is if not reporting? You say "of course he takes care of his sources and does crap like this." This is not how reporters do their job, on top of it being the height of laziness, it isn't providing impartial information. The literal only worst way to cut a corner there would have been just to completely make up quotes.

Do you know what the story was about that he let oscar Allen write his story for? Do you know the backstory of Allen? I feel like your opinion is formed somewhat by your thought that this story was just breaking a trade. The story was about the lockout. There should have been actual journalism done there. The lockout had real life consequences for people outside the football players on the field. Schefter let "the man" set the narrative when they were trying to justify not paying people. I can't imagine not thinking that isn't a big deal.

My emphasis was on sports more than the difference between reporter and journalist.  I think people reporting on sports generally have wildly different journalistic standards than you would have reporting actual news.  I never considered that people took Schefter, again who works for ESPN, as a legitimate unbiased journalist/reporter and find it strange that people did/do.  If I want a realistic view of the lockout, ESPN is a pretty poor choice to find that information.

Where else are you going to get news about the lockout from, Bloomberg?

Obviously not everyone can be a war correspondent, but journalism is no different than any other industry in which the quality of work can't be tied to their perceived importance. That isn't the case anywhere else and it isn't the case in journalism either.

If a personal injury lawyer breached industry standard they'd be marched in front of the bar the same way a corporate partner would for making the same ethical breach. If a toy manufacturer cut corners on the assembly line, they'd get crap canned the same way an airplane manufacturer would.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Why can’t there just be different kinds of journalists. Like, what if we just say Schefter is more in the rumor business than hard hitting analysis and leave it at that?

Whatever y'all consider a real journalist, Adam Shefter sat in the same classes, learning the same lessons, adhering to the same standards. If he wanted to be like one of the TMZ guys, or whatever Happy Slapnuts is hosting your local AM talk show, or some blogger, or podcaster that's fine. However, that's not how he nor his employer positioned him. I just saw this dude on Real Sports three weeks ago flexing his big J journo cred and talking about his Michigan J School education. He positioned himself as a journalist, he's certainly paid like one and he's out here letting his subjects write his stories.

That being said if he shouldn't have a problem continuing to get scoops from front office people, and that's probably enough to keep ESPN happy. He's mumped himself with players and agents though.

Very clearly so.

They teach you to not let your subjects write the stories literally on the first day of newspaper class in high school. I remember the very seat I was sitting in when I heard this the first time in early September 1991.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
your points are valid, right or wrong i guess i just view(ed) schefty as a scoop master / hype man and not really a journalist.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Schefter is a sports reporter and not a real journalist.  His job is to build relationships by leaking information that is given to him by someone who wants it leaked.  He works for ESPN, which has billions of dollars tied up in the entity he is reporting on.  Of course he takes care of his sources and does crap like this.  Anyways, what real insight does Schefter provide other than "Player X wants to be traded" and "Player Y is signing with whatever team?"

Also, I'm sorry the unprofessional Bills photographer hurt so many people's feelings.

A reporter is a journalist. What the hell do you think journalism is if not reporting? You say "of course he takes care of his sources and does crap like this." This is not how reporters do their job, on top of it being the height of laziness, it isn't providing impartial information. The literal only worst way to cut a corner there would have been just to completely make up quotes.

Do you know what the story was about that he let oscar Allen write his story for? Do you know the backstory of Allen? I feel like your opinion is formed somewhat by your thought that this story was just breaking a trade. The story was about the lockout. There should have been actual journalism done there. The lockout had real life consequences for people outside the football players on the field. Schefter let "the man" set the narrative when they were trying to justify not paying people. I can't imagine not thinking that isn't a big deal.

My emphasis was on sports more than the difference between reporter and journalist.  I think people reporting on sports generally have wildly different journalistic standards than you would have reporting actual news.  I never considered that people took Schefter, again who works for ESPN, as a legitimate unbiased journalist/reporter and find it strange that people did/do.  If I want a realistic view of the lockout, ESPN is a pretty poor choice to find that information.

Where else are you going to get news about the lockout from, Bloomberg?

Obviously not everyone can be a war correspondent, but journalism is no different than any other industry in which the quality of work can't be tied to their perceived importance. That isn't the case anywhere else and it isn't the case in journalism either.

If a personal injury lawyer breached industry standard they'd be marched in front of the bar the same way a corporate partner would for making the same ethical breach. If a toy manufacturer cut corners on the assembly line, they'd get crap canned the same way an airplane manufacturer would.

I wouldn't go to the lawyer representing the client to ask for an impartial take, which is what I feel like you're doing if you're expecting ESPN to be impartial on potentially critical NFL stories. 

I'm not justifying what he did, I'm just totally unsurprised.  If it fucks him with players and agents (I don't have your faith that it will), then I'm glad the system has a way of self-correcting it because I don't expect ESPN to care.  ESPN is tacitly endorsing it, which continues to show why nobody should expect an unbiased piece regarding companies they do billion dollar deals with.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I think sports reporters, editors, publishers, and consumers largely view sports reporting as serious reporting. They just don't distinguish between topics like first round draft picks and labor disputes.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Journalist persecution/heroism (lol, thread is re: journalist self-importance)
« Reply #224 on: October 14, 2021, 09:42:40 AM »

I really think both these examples weigh against your point.

There is a very different perception of prestige and expectation of behavior between different types of attorneys. The fact that you still have to be licensed to practice as an attorney at all and are subject to enforceable rules of ethics just illustrates how different journalists are as a profession.

The toy example is even funnier. There is literally never an acceptable time for airplanes to break. Everyone expects toys to break in like less than six weeks. We had a toy RC truck that a wheel fell off and when we replaced it with a new one THE SAME wheel fell off!