Author Topic: Journalist persecution/heroism (lol, thread is re: journalist self-importance)  (Read 23426 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Lmao
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Classic mix-up re: the imam.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Journalist persecution/heroism (lol, thread is re: journalist self-importance)
« Reply #181 on: January 14, 2021, 01:46:45 PM »
That explains the dearth of theological insight I’ve seen since following Pimpin4Paradise786

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Sports journalists are really fired up about other sports journalists and journalism right now.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
About what?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Adam Schefter and Shams Charnia.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
About what?
This dude, to get a leg up on the competition, sends over stories he's about to publish and let's them fill in the blanks on what they want published with it.

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1448313854874701830?s=20
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 11:22:57 AM by 420seriouscat69 »

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Sports journalists are really fired up about other sports journalists and journalism right now.

also came across this subgenre of sports journalist twitter. sports photog twitter is pretty angry at this buffalo bills media guy

https://twitter.com/jcfphotog/status/1447759430133555200?s=20

https://twitter.com/davidphotokc/status/1448027199655849986

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Yeah, that's absolutely a big No-No. Just like how you're not suppose to cheer in a courtroom or have a reaction.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The Schefter stuff is a royal rumble. Lots of sports J’s were shitting on him (mostly @-less) and then darren rough ridin' rovell pushed back on them and now olbermann and many others are putting the boots to him.

https://twitter.com/keitholbermann/status/1448297422992691207

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Beating up schefter and rovell is too mainstream, so there’s a different J mob on shams.

https://twitter.com/bruce_arthur/status/1448280643662663684

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

also came across this subgenre of sports journalist twitter. sports photog twitter is pretty angry at this buffalo bills media guy

https://twitter.com/jcfphotog/status/1447759430133555200?s=20

https://twitter.com/davidphotokc/status/1448027199655849986

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
If we’re all going to make less than a living wage in this career then WE’RE GOING TO HAVE SOME GOD DAMN UNWRITTEN RULES ABOUT IT!

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Schefter is a sports reporter and not a real journalist.  His job is to build relationships by leaking information that is given to him by someone who wants it leaked.  He works for ESPN, which has billions of dollars tied up in the entity he is reporting on.  Of course he takes care of his sources and does crap like this.  Anyways, what real insight does Schefter provide other than "Player X wants to be traded" and "Player Y is signing with whatever team?"

Also, I'm sorry the unprofessional Bills photographer hurt so many people's feelings.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Schefter is a sports reporter and not a real journalist.  His job is to build relationships by leaking information that is given to him by someone who wants it leaked.  He works for ESPN, which has billions of dollars tied up in the entity he is reporting on.  Of course he takes care of his sources and does crap like this.  Anyways, what real insight does Schefter provide other than "Player X wants to be traded" and "Player Y is signing with whatever team?"

Also, I'm sorry the unprofessional Bills photographer hurt so many people's feelings.

A reporter is a journalist. What the hell do you think journalism is if not reporting? You say "of course he takes care of his sources and does crap like this." This is not how reporters do their job, on top of it being the height of laziness, it isn't providing impartial information. The literal only worst way to cut a corner there would have been just to completely make up quotes.

Do you know what the story was about that he let oscar Allen write his story for? Do you know the backstory of Allen? I feel like your opinion is formed somewhat by your thought that this story was just breaking a trade. The story was about the lockout. There should have been actual journalism done there. The lockout had real life consequences for people outside the football players on the field. Schefter let "the man" set the narrative when they were trying to justify not paying people. I can't imagine not thinking that isn't a big deal.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Also, no one gives a eff about the photographer. It's literally one dude complaining on twitter. That tweet had a whole 21 replies and 4 agreeing with the tweet. If I were to guess, that photographer works for the bills.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

A reporter is a journalist. What the hell do you think journalism is if not reporting? You say "of course he takes care of his sources and does crap like this." This is not how reporters do their job, on top of it being the height of laziness, it isn't providing impartial information. The literal only worst way to cut a corner there would have been just to completely make up quotes.

Do you know what the story was about that he let oscar Allen write his story for? Do you know the backstory of Allen? I feel like your opinion is formed somewhat by your thought that this story was just breaking a trade. The story was about the lockout. There should have been actual journalism done there. The lockout had real life consequences for people outside the football players on the field. Schefter let "the man" set the narrative when they were trying to justify not paying people. I can't imagine not thinking that isn't a big deal.

My emphasis was on sports more than the difference between reporter and journalist.  I think people reporting on sports generally have wildly different journalistic standards than you would have reporting actual news.  I never considered that people took Schefter, again who works for ESPN, as a legitimate unbiased journalist/reporter and find it strange that people did/do.  If I want a realistic view of the lockout, ESPN is a pretty poor choice to find that information. 

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
If we’re all going to make less than a living wage in this career then WE’RE GOING TO HAVE SOME GOD DAMN UNWRITTEN RULES ABOUT IT!
You take a lot of ethics classes and journalism law in J school.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Here’s the LA Times story that started the recent schefter stuff.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2021-10-12/nfl-jon-gruden-emails-washington-football-team

Several emails between Allen and journalists are part of the filing too. In one of them from July 2011, ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter sent Allen the draft of an unpublished story that was published later the same day.

“Please let me know if you see anything that should be added, changed, tweaked,” Schefter wrote. “Thanks, Mr. Editor, for that and the trust. Plan to file this to espn about 6 am ….”

ESPN released the following statement in response to the correspondence: “Without sharing all the specifics of the reporter’s process for a story from 10 years ago during the NFL lockout, we believe that nothing is more important to Adam and ESPN than providing fans the most accurate, fair and complete story.”

It’s very lol predictable what is happening today because of an excerpt included in a story about many things one can see if they look at long-available court filings in a really stupid case about supposed defamation in an Indian publication.

As for the thing J’s are mad about today, I’d have to pull the case up and look at the whole email chain to know if schefter was being a stooge or being a snarky ass to someone who’d been difficult with him.