Author Topic: The riot to reform police thread  (Read 105404 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: The riot to reform police thread
« Reply #650 on: June 02, 2020, 04:35:23 PM »
Of course he would -- it's the classic "no true Scottsman" approach to any evidence suggesting that "communism" has been tried multiple times and the results haven't been great (to put it lightly).  And certainly haven't eradicated the destitution and crime -- two things that have existed in every society ever.

I get it, but I don't think you need to find an example of a communist country that has completely eliminated crime for his point to have some validity. How do our incarceration and crime rates compare to the rest of the world? What drives that?

Let me guess, poverty? If only it were that simple. But even if it were, the poor will be with us always (Jesus's words, not mine). We can't control outcomes. We can, however, strive to guarantee equal protection under law. Blowing up capitalism is a really stupid idea as a solution, and I think that Boots fellow is a bloody idiot, after reading some of his stuff. He's good at putting labels on certain ideas to lend an air of academia to what he's talking about, but that's about it. I don't think I'll be paying any further attention to him going forward.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: June 02, 2020, 04:58:02 PM »
Of course he would -- it's the classic "no true Scottsman" approach to any evidence suggesting that "communism" has been tried multiple times and the results haven't been great (to put it lightly).  And certainly haven't eradicated the destitution and crime -- two things that have existed in every society ever.

I get it, but I don't think you need to find an example of a communist country that has completely eliminated crime for his point to have some validity. How do our incarceration and crime rates compare to the rest of the world? What drives that?

Let me guess, poverty? If only it were that simple. But even if it were, the poor will be with us always (Jesus's words, not mine). We can't control outcomes.

I think poverty is a major driver! I don't think you need to 100% completely eliminate poverty to make an impact on incarceration rates. And I don't think it's an outcome that is completely out of our control.

We can, however, strive to guarantee equal protection under law.

If only it were that simple

Offline Purple Derpathy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: June 02, 2020, 05:00:34 PM »

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: June 02, 2020, 05:29:59 PM »
:adios:

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: June 02, 2020, 05:31:49 PM »
here's a different perspective from Boots Riley who is a full-on true proud communist and is pretty extreme even for me (thread):

https://twitter.com/BootsRiley/status/1266851333438500865

I still enjoy reading his thoughts

It’s becoming clear that a lot of non-black people who are upset about their station in life are trying to exploit this event for their own selfish reasons and it’s fuckn pathetic

There are always usurpers. This is one of the more disgusting displays.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: June 02, 2020, 05:33:27 PM »

If the argument is “less poverty=less crime=less police brutality” then yeah I agree.  I don’t think that point is what he’s going for or very controversial.

The disconnect that exists is when he implicitly argues capital C Communism=less poverty. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: June 02, 2020, 05:34:16 PM »
here's a different perspective from Boots Riley who is a full-on true proud communist and is pretty extreme even for me (thread):

It’s becoming clear that a lot of non-black people who are upset about their station in life are trying to exploit this event for their own selfish reasons and it’s fuckn pathetic

who is the non-black person here? me?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: June 02, 2020, 05:38:21 PM »
The disconnect that exists is when he implicitly argues capital C Communism=less poverty. 
I think you're getting lost in the weeds

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: June 02, 2020, 05:43:45 PM »
I think any novel force his argument could possibly have falls apart with barely any scrutiny.

Without “Communism=less poverty,” all he’s saying is that police brutality wouldn’t happen as often if fewer people were poor, which, duh.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: June 02, 2020, 05:54:44 PM »
I think any novel force his argument could possibly have falls apart with barely any scrutiny.

Without “Communism=less poverty,” all he’s saying is that police brutality wouldn’t happen as often if fewer people were poor, which, duh.

you probably stopped reading, but he actually called for a general strike as a short term way to call attention to and impact police brutality. which is in all practicality difficult given the recent covid adjustment but again it's an interesting perspective

https://twitter.com/BootsRiley/status/1266853472286081024

https://twitter.com/BootsRiley/status/1266853473867272192

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: June 02, 2020, 05:57:34 PM »

I’m not referring to posters on this board.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: June 02, 2020, 06:01:04 PM »

I’m not referring to posters on this board.

Same.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: June 02, 2020, 06:03:16 PM »
It’s an interesting perspective because it’s a fairy tale.  Obviously a general strike would cause massive problems for society and it’d be an effective way to coerce govt/police to take action against cops.

As you point out there’s not going to be a general strike because people want to continue buying stuff - even if there hasn’t been covid.

All it is is Marxist fanfic.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: June 02, 2020, 06:34:14 PM »
At first I was like, damn bayonets sound terrible, but then I’m like, if it gets to the point of the military engaging civilians, we’re past concern of sending the wrong message.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: June 02, 2020, 07:31:42 PM »
The police reaction to all of this kind of seems like they are staging their own violent protest against having to protect minorities.

yes.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: June 02, 2020, 07:38:48 PM »
The problem is phrases like "the whole system needs revamped" is such a vague statement that I think wood and rusty are probably imagining two different things.

https://twitter.com/AlexNowrasteh/status/1267815281503744000

https://twitter.com/marcushjohnson/status/1266882449021296640
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: June 02, 2020, 07:42:50 PM »
The problem is phrases like "the whole system needs revamped" is such a vague statement that I think wood and rusty are probably imagining two different things.

https://twitter.com/AlexNowrasteh/status/1267815281503744000

https://twitter.com/marcushjohnson/status/1266882449021296640
Yeah I agree with almost all of that - depending on the extent of "legalize drugs."

I wonder what wood would (lol) object to from that list, if any.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: June 02, 2020, 07:47:21 PM »
7. Cops can't have guns

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile