Author Topic: Open this thread for TCU Talk  (Read 15193 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: Open this thread for TCU Talk
« Reply #275 on: October 11, 2020, 10:14:37 AM »
We have another 2.5 weeks to get Sky back, is that doable? 

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 11, 2020, 10:19:28 AM »
The Stout Mob

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 11, 2020, 10:22:36 AM »
I WANT Howard to be good, but I don't know man.  I suppose it's reasonable to believe that with another week of 1st team reps, and another winnable start against KU, that Howard could improve enough to help us win a couple more games after KU.  I don't think there is any way under the sun that we can make it to the championship game with him as our QB, but I'd say that about almost any freshman QB we've ever had. 

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 11, 2020, 10:25:57 AM »
I WANT Howard to be good, but I don't know man.  I suppose it's reasonable to believe that with another week of 1st team reps, and another winnable start against KU, that Howard could improve enough to help us win a couple more games after KU.  I don't think there is any way under the sun that we can make it to the championship game with him as our QB, but I'd say that about almost any freshman QB we've ever had.
He definitely made a few plays where you could imagine him evolving into a stud, but yea, he looked like a true freshman out there. If we had Thompson yesterday, we would have wiped TCU.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 11, 2020, 10:26:11 AM »
If you believe the advanced stats _fan posts on KSO we are the 5th best defense in the big 12.  I personally trust my eyes over things like stats but for anyone into those things, that’s what the data says.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 11, 2020, 10:28:05 AM »

TCU is loaded with talent on defense and sweaty Gary is a scheme master.  It will be a much easier road the rest of the way for Young Will.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 11, 2020, 10:28:22 AM »
If you believe the advanced stats _fan posts on KSO we are the 5th best defense in the big 12.  I personally trust my eyes over things like stats but for anyone into those things, that’s what the data says.
So in other words, not stifling or dominant, but, you know, STOUT.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 11, 2020, 10:29:12 AM »
Yes that is exactly right, very well said

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 11, 2020, 10:32:14 AM »
the thing brando was confusing me most about was when he was waxing poetic about how much we shorten the game and how it will be critical for tcu to be in 4 down territory the rest of the way b/c of how much clock we chew up. The thing is at the time he said that...with like 11 minutes left in 4th, i'm p sure we hadn't even gotten a first down in the 2nd half. i think it was just 3 and outs to that point, i dunno, maybe like 1 first down. as i was typing this i went and looked it up and we had 1 drive in the 2nd half that lasted 3:05 everything else was less than 3. I think brando was confusing us for '12 cats. Average TOP in 2nd half was 2:18

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 11, 2020, 11:06:56 AM »

TCU is loaded with talent on defense and sweaty Gary is a scheme master.  It will be a much easier road the rest of the way for Young Will.

Oklahoma State, Iowa State, and West Virginia all have better defenses than TCU. Everything about TCU is wildly overrated.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: October 11, 2020, 11:08:58 AM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 11, 2020, 11:12:44 AM »
Re. The stout thing, is the stoutness of the defense more about the fact that they're hard hitting which causes the offense to make more mistakes, that we're capable enough to take advantage of, and less about how many yards they give up? One thing I've noticed about the D, outside of how mean, borderline dirty, we are, is how well we tackle, especially in space. The secondary seem to all be good tacklers, I can't remember a K-State team, the last 15 years, that tackles this well.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 11, 2020, 11:20:11 AM »
Re. The stout thing, is the stoutness of the defense more about the fact that they're hard hitting which causes the offense to make more mistakes, that we're capable enough to take advantage of, and less about how many yards they give up? One thing I've noticed about the D, outside of how mean, borderline dirty, we are, is how well we tackle, especially in space. The secondary seem to all be good tacklers, I can't remember a K-State team, the last 15 years, that tackles this well.

yes parker has turned it to an art form. like i get mad at him for missing an open field tackle and then i'm like oh yeah, p much everybody misses those, we are just blessed to have someone who makes them at such a high rate.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 11, 2020, 11:23:31 AM »

Oklahoma State, Iowa State, and West Virginia all have better defenses than TCU. Everything about TCU is wildly overrated.

So is a Baylor but that certainly isn’t going to help our guy Pete sleep any easier now is it?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 11, 2020, 12:11:31 PM »
fire and stout

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 11, 2020, 12:21:43 PM »

I’m in love with all of this. We don’t have the talent yet, but our D plays with the swagger and nastiness of the premier DOD defenses.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 11, 2020, 12:34:56 PM »

also I think the defense concedes yards by design to minimize explosive plays. Like they seem perfectly content to give up a 6 yard gain 3rd and 4 because they know an incompletion or sack will eventually kill the drive and they don't want to give up the big play. The blitzes also seem to be a lot more selective because we can get a decent rush with the front four, which is great!

looks like we've given up 3 30+ yard plays in conference play, which seems pretty good!

http://www.cfbstats.com/2020/leader/national/team/defense/split07/category30/sort03.html

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 11, 2020, 12:36:21 PM »
Borderline dirty is exactly where I want a defense to be  :love:

(obviously other borderline dirty teams are horrible pieces of crap)
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 11, 2020, 12:38:38 PM »

also I think the defense concedes yards by design to minimize explosive plays. Like they seem perfectly content to give up a 6 yard gain 3rd and 4 because they know an incompletion or sack will eventually kill the drive and they don't want to give up the big play. The blitzes also seem to be a lot more selective because we can get a decent rush with the front four, which is great!

looks like we've given up 3 30+ yard plays in conference play, which seems pretty good!

http://www.cfbstats.com/2020/leader/national/team/defense/split07/category30/sort03.html
Hmm maybe we aren't that good at this

https://twitter.com/ksu_FAN/status/1315288258075656192

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 11, 2020, 12:40:56 PM »
I forgot how HFBIQ this board gets when football is good.   This is like getting a masters in what the nuance of bend but don’t break means.

I think the defense concedes yards by design to minimize explosive plays. Like they seem perfectly content to give up a 6 yard gain 3rd and 4 because they know an incompletion or sack will eventually kill the drive and they don't want to give up the big play. The blitzes also seem to be a lot more selective because we can get a decent rush with the front four, which is great!

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 11, 2020, 12:42:39 PM »

(obviously other borderline dirty teams are horrible pieces of crap)

Like the dobermans of footballing

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 11, 2020, 12:55:16 PM »

:lynchmob:
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 11, 2020, 02:02:48 PM »

Hmm maybe we aren't that good at this

https://twitter.com/ksu_FAN/status/1315288258075656192

I believe those stats include the loss vs ASU. Not that they don’t count, but I think it’s safe to say our defensive personnel and understanding are night and day post-ASU

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 11, 2020, 02:34:28 PM »
Nobody was talking up our defense after giving up almost 500 yards avg on our first 3 games.
https://twitter.com/dlew56/status/1309943437823803392?s=21

https://twitter.com/dlew56/status/1312538858320322560?s=21

Thanks Dlew, this was what I was trying to convey about Howard's game performance yesterday.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 11, 2020, 03:58:35 PM »
tcu D isnt THAT good. decent but middle of the league. weakest part is the DL and we didn't even begin to win the LOS against their weakest link. Howard is going to be running for his life the rest of the season. I would consider any wildcat type runners that could give us an extra blocker and a better runner than howard. we just dont have much talent on the offensive side for options