Author Topic: No 2020 College Football :-(  (Read 94349 times)

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Re: No 2020 College Football :-(
« Reply #325 on: July 07, 2020, 09:33:04 PM »
If we don't have college/NFL football then I don't think it will be a reach to say that a good portion of the football watching demographic will be too blame and that goes straight to the top of the country.   I am speaking in regard to doing some very simple things.

In outdoor setting, there's really no reason why we couldn't have at least 50% capacity.    But we have a lot of dipshits who are gonna likely ensure none of it happens because they think a mask is an affront to their personal freedom.   So, when it's more re-runs this fall they can go eff themselves.

I don't think that matters if the college kids can't stop sucking and rough ridin' everything in sight.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 07, 2020, 10:05:43 PM »
They could absolutely do a reduced capacity/mask thing. If indoor restaurants are open, there is no good reason they couldn’t do 20k at arrowhead/BSFS.

There are other logistical issues that could prevent that (ie the actual players), but in terms of fans - an outdoor stadium with lots of room between people seems very similar to spending the day at a public park.

Still creates lost of opportunities for congregation (e.g. bathrooms, concessions, unrestricted parking lot behavior, etc.).  Seems like it would be a PR problem at the least.

The European leagues that have been running for nearly two months now and have a fraction of the cases we do still aren't open to fans. Having fans at reduced capacity was a best case scenario until a vaccine is readily available, we screwed that up. We're at the point where this should be the hope for pro sports next spring.

So a "Fraction" equals 2.5M cases (with Russia and Eastern Europe massively under counted), and 200K deaths?  Interesting.

I don't believe any of the countries you have in mind have started sports leagues yet.

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 07, 2020, 10:06:23 PM »
Even if you reduce transmission by 90% you are increasing crowd size by what - around 100x what you typically have seen to date? Not sure how that math works out

And yeah, I would expect mask compliance to be well under 100%
i dont think we know. i haven't seen or heard any epidemiologist attribute much of this virus increase to all the protesters gathering around the country the last month. they attribute that to a lot of protesters using masks. it appears a lot of the hotspots are restaurants, bars, and large family gatherings often indoors. if we excluded cases of the virus that were found to occur during indoor activity there wouldn't be a lot of infections. Fact is, outside transmission is not considered to be a key contributor in this pandemic.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 07, 2020, 10:50:27 PM »
I love our enterprising students.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: July 07, 2020, 10:52:35 PM »
Really taking it on the nose this year.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 07, 2020, 10:58:55 PM »
Even if you reduce transmission by 90% you are increasing crowd size by what - around 100x what you typically have seen to date? Not sure how that math works out

And yeah, I would expect mask compliance to be well under 100%
i dont think we know. i haven't seen or heard any epidemiologist attribute much of this virus increase to all the protesters gathering around the country the last month. they attribute that to a lot of protesters using masks. it appears a lot of the hotspots are restaurants, bars, and large family gatherings often indoors. if we excluded cases of the virus that were found to occur during indoor activity there wouldn't be a lot of infections. Fact is, outside transmission is not considered to be a key contributor in this pandemic.

attending a college football or NFL game isn't an exclusively outdoor activity. most stadiums aren't as open as BSFS, and even then you have restrooms and clubs that are absolutely not outdoors. I suppose you could close those down but then what's the point?

and yeah we haven't seen mass transmissions at sporting events but have seen them at bars and restaurants and church services because there haven't been any with fans anywhere in the world since March (at least on the scale of a half full BSFS)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 08, 2020, 08:40:58 AM »
They could absolutely do a reduced capacity/mask thing. If indoor restaurants are open, there is no good reason they couldn’t do 20k at arrowhead/BSFS.

There are other logistical issues that could prevent that (ie the actual players), but in terms of fans - an outdoor stadium with lots of room between people seems very similar to spending the day at a public park.

Still creates lost of opportunities for congregation (e.g. bathrooms, concessions, unrestricted parking lot behavior, etc.).  Seems like it would be a PR problem at the least.

The European leagues that have been running for nearly two months now and have a fraction of the cases we do still aren't open to fans. Having fans at reduced capacity was a best case scenario until a vaccine is readily available, we screwed that up. We're at the point where this should be the hope for pro sports next spring.

So a "Fraction" equals 2.5M cases (with Russia and Eastern Europe massively under counted), and 200K deaths?  Interesting.

I don't believe any of the countries you have in mind have started sports leagues yet.

What I had in mind was the EU/UK/Russia/Eastern Europe.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 08, 2020, 10:35:23 AM »

Well yeah they could do it but it wouldn't be smart. Haven't been to BSFS in a while but 20k at A's games still leads to a lot larger and tighter crowds than you'd ever see in a typical restaurant because 20 thousand people are all moving and congregating at basically the same times. (I know it's an old shitty stadium but still).

An outbreak at a college or NFL game beyond something like the 85 cases at that Lansing bar would be a PR disaster.

(Also full capacity indoor dining probably isn't the best idea yet, either)
have you seen BSFS when there's 20k people there?  Hell, let's call it 17,500, an even third.  Require masks.  Let families sit together, space everyone else out in every 4th or 5th seat.  Encourage people to social distance in bathrooms. 

i just don't think there's much of a risk of transmission in that setting -- at least no more than in a restaurant, train station, or city street.  i don't think CFB is going to happen anyway, but a reduced capacity situation seems basically harmless to me, relative to everything else that's allowed.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 08, 2020, 10:41:29 AM »

Well yeah they could do it but it wouldn't be smart. Haven't been to BSFS in a while but 20k at A's games still leads to a lot larger and tighter crowds than you'd ever see in a typical restaurant because 20 thousand people are all moving and congregating at basically the same times. (I know it's an old shitty stadium but still).

An outbreak at a college or NFL game beyond something like the 85 cases at that Lansing bar would be a PR disaster.

(Also full capacity indoor dining probably isn't the best idea yet, either)
have you seen BSFS when there's 20k people there?  Hell, let's call it 17,500, an even third.  Require masks.  Let families sit together, space everyone else out in every 4th or 5th seat.  Encourage people to social distance in bathrooms. 

i just don't think there's much of a risk of transmission in that setting -- at least no more than in a restaurant, train station, or city street.  i don't think CFB is going to happen anyway, but a reduced capacity situation seems basically harmless to me, relative to everything else that's allowed.

Yep

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 08, 2020, 10:45:00 AM »
Do what the gyms are doing. Take temps of the attendees and if they're not sick, let them in.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 08, 2020, 10:49:23 AM »
At 17500 people, the halftime bathroom break would essentially be the equivalent to what a restaurant is like rn, except instead of people sitting around talking and eating without masks for an hour+, people would just be wearing their masks and doing their deal in the bathroom for 2 or 3 minutes.

i also don't know if a one size fits all approach would be necessary.  i don't know why Idaho/syracuse (with their domes) would necessarily need the same requirements as K-State.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 08, 2020, 10:57:38 AM »

it depends on the exact setup (with concessions, security, bathrooms, and other indoor spaces), but it's certainly higher risk than any city street and most train stations in the US these days, but yeah I can see it being comparable to restaurants depending on the details. There are also unknowns like weather delays which could throw a wrench into things.

Most importantly, it's a completely unnecessary risk for the revenue.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 08, 2020, 11:01:45 AM »

it depends on the exact setup (with concessions, security, bathrooms, and other indoor spaces), but it's certainly higher risk than any city street and most train stations in the US these days, but yeah I can see it being comparable to restaurants depending on the details. There are also unknowns like weather delays which could throw a wrench into things.

because college athletic departments are flush with cash at the moment?  the economics may not work out, but if they do work out - then i think it makes sense to infuse some cash so that we can minimize the negative effects that non-revenue generating sports will suffer (and boy are those going to suffer).

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 08, 2020, 11:12:52 AM »

because college athletic departments are flush with cash at the moment? 

I was thinking more along the lines that college athletic departments are about the last industry that needs to be saved plus you can do the whole "how many deaths is 7 games of limited revenue worth?" exercise plus the possible PR/financial fallout if a superspreading event occurs.

I mean, the industry that exploits unpaid athletes for "profit" putting its community at risk to squeeze out as much revenue as possible when actual for-profit leagues around the world are not is not a good look

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 08, 2020, 11:16:04 AM »

I was thinking more along the lines that college athletic departments are about the last industry that needs to be saved plus you can do the whole "how many deaths is 7 games of limited revenue worth?" exercise plus the possible PR/financial fallout if a superspreading event occurs.

I mean, the industry that exploits unpaid athletes for "profit" putting its community at risk to squeeze out as much revenue as possible when actual for-profit leagues around the world are not is not a good look
Also the industry that funds tens of thousands of scholarships for non-profit generating athletes, along with employing tens of thousands of people.

Moreover, I'm not suggesting anyone step in to "save" college ADs, I'm suggesting letting college ADs operate reasonably and allow a relatively low risk way to get some cash. 

Again, this conversation is academic because CFB ain't happening.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 11:19:06 AM by DQ12 »

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 08, 2020, 12:22:56 PM »

if the pros dont go then yes it would be a bad look for colleges. but we dont have that answer yet. and we dont have an answer as to how much risk the athletes are putting into their communities either. they are a very minor portion of the overall student population. i dont think the network money is small potatoes. We still have 7 weeks until season starts. lets see how the teams infection rates look in mid august after practicing for a few weeks face to face. and lets continue to monitor recoveries. and i'm all for taking player opinions into account. we need a system that allows players to sit out without repercussions

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 08, 2020, 01:30:14 PM »

if the pros dont go then yes it would be a bad look for colleges. but we dont have that answer yet. and we dont have an answer as to how much risk the athletes are putting into their communities either. they are a very minor portion of the overall student population. i dont think the network money is small potatoes. We still have 7 weeks until season starts. lets see how the teams infection rates look in mid august after practicing for a few weeks face to face. and lets continue to monitor recoveries. and i'm all for taking player opinions into account. we need a system that allows players to sit out without repercussions

FWIW I'm not worried about playing games. I think reopening colleges this fall is a bad idea but playing football doesn't make it any worse if they're open. crowds of 20k might though.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 08, 2020, 02:56:24 PM »
They should just play the football season in the spring with full capacity crowds. Put the vaccine makers on the clock.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: July 08, 2020, 03:06:19 PM »
We should also use spring football as an excuse to shorten the season by 2 games, eliminate all bowl games, and expand the playoffs to 32 teams.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: July 08, 2020, 03:08:14 PM »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 08, 2020, 03:11:54 PM »
https://twitter.com/mercnews/status/1280916132401000448

LOL at mercury news photoshop'n a bunch of taco bells around that tower I presume is an actual thing on stanford's campus.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 08, 2020, 03:12:52 PM »

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile