Author Topic: No 2020 College Football :-(  (Read 94721 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: No 2020 College Football :-(
« Reply #300 on: July 07, 2020, 04:04:05 PM »
The Texas State Fair got cancelled, fwiw.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 07, 2020, 05:35:18 PM »
If we don't have college/NFL football then I don't think it will be a reach to say that a good portion of the football watching demographic will be too blame and that goes straight to the top of the country.   I am speaking in regard to doing some very simple things.

In outdoor setting, there's really no reason why we couldn't have at least 50% capacity.    But we have a lot of dipshits who are gonna likely ensure none of it happens because they think a mask is an affront to their personal freedom.   So, when it's more re-runs this fall they can go eff themselves.

Agreed.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 07, 2020, 05:39:50 PM »
Gonna have outdoor bathrooms and concession stands and clubs? What about all the domed stadiums?

I can see the NFL doing what the soccer leagues are doing, there won't be fans. No rough ridin' way.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 07, 2020, 05:40:12 PM »
Gonna have outdoor bathrooms and concession stands and clubs? What about all the domed stadiums?

I can see the NFL doing what the soccer leagues are doing, there won't be fans. No rough ridin' way.
And obviously there won't be college football in 2020 lol

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 07, 2020, 05:40:25 PM »
No way fans can be there.  There's no rough ridin' way.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 07, 2020, 05:41:23 PM »
They could have the season if they lifted ameteurism, right?  :fatty:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 07, 2020, 05:46:11 PM »
They could absolutely do a reduced capacity/mask thing. If indoor restaurants are open, there is no good reason they couldn’t do 20k at arrowhead/BSFS.

There are other logistical issues that could prevent that (ie the actual players), but in terms of fans - an outdoor stadium with lots of room between people seems very similar to spending the day at a public park.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 07, 2020, 05:46:27 PM »
They could have the season if they lifted ameteurism, right?  :fatty:
I think that's the only way, at least if more schools cancel in-person classes

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 07, 2020, 05:53:48 PM »
They could absolutely do a reduced capacity/mask thing. If indoor restaurants are open, there is no good reason they couldn’t do 20k at arrowhead/BSFS.

There are other logistical issues that could prevent that (ie the actual players), but in terms of fans - an outdoor stadium with lots of room between people seems very similar to spending the day at a public park.

Still creates lost of opportunities for congregation (e.g. bathrooms, concessions, unrestricted parking lot behavior, etc.).  Seems like it would be a PR problem at the least.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 07, 2020, 05:56:53 PM »

Well yeah they could do it but it wouldn't be smart. Haven't been to BSFS in a while but 20k at A's games still leads to a lot larger and tighter crowds than you'd ever see in a typical restaurant because 20 thousand people are all moving and congregating at basically the same times. (I know it's an old shitty stadium but still).

An outbreak at a college or NFL game beyond something like the 85 cases at that Lansing bar would be a PR disaster.

(Also full capacity indoor dining probably isn't the best idea yet, either)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 07, 2020, 06:07:44 PM »

Still creates lost of opportunities for congregation (e.g. bathrooms, concessions, unrestricted parking lot behavior, etc.).  Seems like it would be a PR problem at the least.

The European leagues that have been running for nearly two months now and have a fraction of the cases we do still aren't open to fans. Having fans at reduced capacity was a best case scenario until a vaccine is readily available, we screwed that up. We're at the point where this should be the hope for pro sports next spring.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 07, 2020, 06:16:22 PM »
Oh crap, they solved this thing

https://twitter.com/bdavisaas/status/1280641622787739648

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 07, 2020, 06:28:34 PM »

Desperate times call for desperate measures

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 07, 2020, 06:56:22 PM »

We’d better still be able to shove our spaceship down a Jayhawks throat at home though
:adios:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 07, 2020, 07:02:45 PM »
What is even the point if there are no hot cheerleaders?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: July 07, 2020, 07:06:06 PM »
Cheerleaders in masks could maybe be kinky for some people if that's your kinda thing.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 07, 2020, 07:06:22 PM »

And there is not much point of having fans if they’re not going to be yelling, which outside of maybe sneezing or coughing has to be the best way to spread coronavirus.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 07, 2020, 07:27:30 PM »

And there is not much point of having fans if they’re not going to be yelling, which outside of maybe sneezing or coughing has to be the best way to spread coronavirus.
Another problem is it's gathering people from across the region, intermingling, and sending them all home to spread it to their communities. It's just encourages people to travel who probably wouldn't have otherwise.

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 07, 2020, 07:48:43 PM »
wearing masks reduces transmission tremendously. are you guys assuming people won't wear masks? if they make it a mandate it will greatly reduce the risk of transmission when walking by each other and congregating in bathrooms. some studies show greater than 90% reduction in transmission when all parties are masked

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 07, 2020, 08:20:32 PM »
Even if you reduce transmission by 90% you are increasing crowd size by what - around 100x what you typically have seen to date? Not sure how that math works out

And yeah, I would expect mask compliance to be well under 100%

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 07, 2020, 08:22:36 PM »
Cheerleaders in masks could maybe be kinky for some people if that's your kinda thing.

:Jeffy:
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 07, 2020, 09:24:23 PM »

The European leagues that have been running for nearly two months now and have a fraction of the cases we do still aren't open to fans. Having fans at reduced capacity was a best case scenario until a vaccine is readily available, we screwed that up. We're at the point where this should be the hope for pro sports next spring.

So a "Fraction" equals 2.5M cases (with Russia and Eastern Europe massively under counted), and 200K deaths?  Interesting.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 07, 2020, 09:25:02 PM »
related

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1280165513264586756
I’m not sure how you can justify keeping tuition the same with purely online courses. I would be rough ridin' pissed.

what's kinda crazy is they're still inviting 40% of undergrads to campus (but they will still have all their classes online)

https://www.fas.harvard.edu/fas-decision-2020-2021-academic-year

That's because they want full occupancy of their dorms, cause money.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 07, 2020, 09:25:38 PM »
i am going to massively under report you to the site moderator
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire