Author Topic: No 2020 College Football :-(  (Read 94477 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: No 2020 College Football :-(
« Reply #275 on: July 02, 2020, 02:16:45 PM »
There is no way they can have fans in the stadiums at this point.  I suppose the TV money is still big enough to motivate them to pursuing playing this fall, as crazy as that sounds.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 02, 2020, 02:18:52 PM »
There is no way they can have fans in the stadiums at this point.  I suppose the TV money is still big enough to motivate them to pursuing playing this fall, as crazy as that sounds.

if there's no fans in stadiums, how can you justify having on-campus instruction (potentially higher risk depending on the circumstances)? If there's no on-campus instruction, how can you justify playing football at all?

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 02, 2020, 05:04:36 PM »
A lot of people are speculating on a lot of things already covered in the first post of this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 02, 2020, 05:12:16 PM »
A lot of people are speculating on a lot of things already covered in the first post of this thread

It seems like a lot of folks involved with making decisions regarding college football in 2020 have yet to read it

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 02, 2020, 07:04:42 PM »
See y'all in 2021, it's gonna be lit. How will the schools support essentially six classes of scholarshipped athletes?

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 03, 2020, 12:07:38 PM »

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 03, 2020, 02:44:53 PM »
See y'all in 2021, it's gonna be lit. How will the schools support essentially six classes of scholarshipped athletes?

That's a really good question.

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 03, 2020, 02:51:35 PM »
eff'em   :dunno:
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 06, 2020, 10:56:25 AM »
Ivy League gonna vote on pushing football to spring

https://twitter.com/CoachSamz/status/1280158756857356292

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: July 06, 2020, 11:06:47 AM »
related

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1280165513264586756
I’m not sure how you can justify keeping tuition the same with purely online courses. I would be rough ridin' pissed.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 06, 2020, 11:22:36 AM »
Johns Hopkins guy said we've got another 18 months of this minimum, no matter what we or any country does.   Outbreaks and hotspots can and will occur anywhere, and cannot be stopped outside of a total lock down of pretty much everything.

Take away:  Wear a mask, socially distance, protect the most vulnerable.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 06, 2020, 11:33:11 AM »
related

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1280165513264586756
I’m not sure how you can justify keeping tuition the same with purely online courses. I would be rough ridin' pissed.

what's kinda crazy is they're still inviting 40% of undergrads to campus (but they will still have all their classes online)

https://www.fas.harvard.edu/fas-decision-2020-2021-academic-year

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 06, 2020, 11:38:33 AM »
MD will call it soon as well

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 06, 2020, 12:25:24 PM »
Let’s just push everything to the spring so I can go to my once every four years Morgantown PAKfest.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 06, 2020, 01:00:29 PM »
What happens to schedules if the NCAA and/or NFL cancel the whole season? Do they just keep everything the same but play the games a year later? I really want revenge against Vandy, and the Chefs are playing in NOLA this year.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 07, 2020, 11:28:40 AM »
An anonymous FBS commissioner told ESPN's Heather Dinich that he is "very concerned" about the possibility of a delayed or canceled season.

"I'm still hopeful that we have college football, I'm just more pessimistic that we won't have it on time," the commissioner explained. "I don't see us starting on time at this point. One day I thought, 'I better look at the calendar,' because I felt like it was March 11 again." This is a refrain we have seen repeatedly in the world of college football -- that it feels as though we're back in March, when the coronavirus pandemic first began to shut sports down. The NCAA is charging ahead with its six-week practice plan, which started in earnest for Week 0 teams on Monday. But even beyond the anonymous commish cited, here, we're seeing growing concern over just how realistic -- or unrealistic -- a fall campaign might be. AAC commissioner Mike Aresco brought up one angle of obvious concern, saying, "It's very unlikely that we would play fall sports -- highly unlikely we would play fall sports -- if we didn't have our students back on campus," while WVU AD Shane Lyons (who chairs the Football Oversight Committee) said it simply enough: "For us in college sports and sports in general, it's not trending the way we were hoping it would."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29419645/concerned-power-5-leaders-remain-wait-see-mode-start-college-football

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 07, 2020, 12:03:57 PM »
the sport is in good hands with these all star administrators
everything was fine until the athletes they represent needed them to do something other than make ass loads of $ and glad hand anyone and everyone

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 07, 2020, 12:57:24 PM »
If we don't have college/NFL football then I don't think it will be a reach to say that a good portion of the football watching demographic will be too blame and that goes straight to the top of the country.   I am speaking in regard to doing some very simple things.

In outdoor setting, there's really no reason why we couldn't have at least 50% capacity.    But we have a lot of dipshits who are gonna likely ensure none of it happens because they think a mask is an affront to their personal freedom.   So, when it's more re-runs this fall they can go eff themselves.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 07, 2020, 01:39:26 PM »
If we don't have college/NFL football then I don't think it will be a reach to say that a good portion of the football watching demographic will be too blame and that goes straight to the top of the country.   I am speaking in regard to doing some very simple things.

In outdoor setting, there's really no reason why we couldn't have at least 50% capacity.    But we have a lot of dipshits who are gonna likely ensure none of it happens because they think a mask is an affront to their personal freedom.   So, when it's more re-runs this fall they can go eff themselves.

Yeah, pretty much. The people who bitch about masks are going to be the people who bitch the most about no football.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 07, 2020, 01:40:03 PM »
the sport is in good hands with these all star administrators
everything was fine until the athletes they represent needed them to do something other than make ass loads of $ and glad hand anyone and everyone

Yes :emawkid:

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 07, 2020, 01:58:20 PM »
i guess the assumption is that college athletes will behave similarly to regular college students which is reasonable. and maybe a few football players dont even really want to play in the middle of a pandemic.
but there are some very specific guidelines and behaviors that have been proven to work remarkably well at keeping the virus away. if the players wear masks in public. social distance . and somewhat isolate themselves for the first semester there would be a good chance to limit the infections in the program.
what are the chances of getting college athletes to behave properly? idk
most infections are a result of high risk activities. avoid high risk places and the risk goes down considerably.
what we're seeing nationally is a result of kids participating in high risk activities. reign that in, if possible, and things get considerably better again

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 07, 2020, 02:39:32 PM »
I hold college athletes to the same expectations I hold all other college kids when it comes to this, very low.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 07, 2020, 02:51:19 PM »
it doesn't matter if every student athlete was maintained in complete isolation and was also immune.  if the rest of students are virusing as they inevitably would if universities held on-campus instruction, college football is off.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."