Author Topic: No 2020 College Football :-(  (Read 93584 times)

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
Re: No 2020 College Football :-(
« Reply #250 on: June 30, 2020, 07:56:34 PM »
I'm not advocating putting dollar values on lives, but it happens every day on virtually every place on the planet.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 30, 2020, 08:17:01 PM »
The only person this college football season isn’t for, is Mangino and that former Minnesota coach who was somehow part of K-State for a minute and I know this is a real thing, but come on....

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 30, 2020, 08:21:12 PM »
Maybe Urban Meyer too, if he’s done faking illnesses (I kid) to transfer to superior programs before the crap hits the fan (again).

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 30, 2020, 09:16:42 PM »
I'm not advocating putting dollar values on lives, but it happens every day on virtually every place on the planet.

I didn't read the article but I'd be more concerned with how many non-football players die as a result of a season and full-blown semester for all students.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 30, 2020, 10:04:30 PM »
No athlete that we know of has died from it. Doesn’t mean I’m saying we shouldn’t be concerned from it, but do we hide in bunkers at this point? It’s definitely here. Cancel the season? Because most athletes have been asymptotic!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: July 01, 2020, 08:57:25 AM »
https://twitter.com/HenryBushnell/status/1278320513073516545

I wonder how sys feels about increasing the odds of his dad dying of covid so his favorite football team is more competitive in September

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 01, 2020, 10:37:13 AM »
The only person this college football season isn’t for, is Mangino and that former Minnesota coach who was somehow part of K-State for a minute and I know this is a real thing, but come on....

Jerry Kill is now sweaty gary's OC. Jerry Kill is the most overrated coach in football history, however, luckily epilepsy doesn't lead to a compromised immune system.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 01, 2020, 10:38:38 AM »

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 01, 2020, 10:42:46 AM »
I don't get why playing football and having only online classes is even a worry.   Tons of athletes pretending to be students only take online classes (where somebody else does the work) as it stands now.   

In addition, there's a growing body of evidence that transmission in outdoor settings is very rare. 

Controlled environment of football team surrounded by medical staff.   At least some % of capacity in the stadium.   Just not gonna be able to have that Ahearn Steak Fry and people in the WSC are gonna have to mask up and social distance, hang out in their suite or box area only and not just walk around all over the place.   

If the dimwits would have masked up 8 weeks ago, we'd probably be LOL'ing about all of this by now.   

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 01, 2020, 10:50:46 AM »
No athlete that we know of has died from it. Doesn’t mean I’m saying we shouldn’t be concerned from it, but do we hide in bunkers at this point? It’s definitely here. Cancel the season? Because most athletes have been asymptotic!

Worth noting that with younger people getting sick, the numbers of younger people dying will go way up. Not all of these football players are in tip top shape, especially given they've been home for 3 months. Here's the story of a triathlete nearly dying, I'm guessing the number of college football players who can run a triathlon is incredibly low.

https://m.startribune.com/minnesota-man-is-an-ironman-covid-19-nearly-killed-him/569761222/

Look at this article, we weren't even a month into distancing when this article was published. This was back when the worldwide average for age of death from coronavirus was literally 78.

I guess what I'm saying is I think the data we have about deaths of younger people will need to be revisited as the average age of contraction dives sharply.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/04/08/young-people-coronavirus-deaths/

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 01, 2020, 10:51:53 AM »
I don't get why playing football and having only online classes is even a worry.   Tons of athletes pretending to be students only take online classes (where somebody else does the work) as it stands now.   

In addition, there's a growing body of evidence that transmission in outdoor settings is very rare. 

Controlled environment of football team surrounded by medical staff.   At least some % of capacity in the stadium.   Just not gonna be able to have that Ahearn Steak Fry and people in the WSC are gonna have to mask up and social distance, hang out in their suite or box area only and not just walk around all over the place.   

If the dimwits would have masked up 8 weeks ago, we'd probably be LOL'ing about all of this by now.
Agree with dax here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 01, 2020, 10:56:13 AM »

Worth noting that with younger people getting sick, the numbers of younger people dying will go way up. Not all of these football players are in tip top shape, especially given they've been home for 3 months. Here's the story of a triathlete nearly dying, I'm guessing the number of college football players who can run a triathlon is incredibly low.

https://m.startribune.com/minnesota-man-is-an-ironman-covid-19-nearly-killed-him/569761222/

Look at this article, we weren't even a month into distancing when this article was published. This was back when the worldwide average for age of death from coronavirus was literally 78.

I guess what I'm saying is I think the data we have about deaths of younger people will need to be revisited as the average age of contraction dives sharply.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/04/08/young-people-coronavirus-deaths/
Good points.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 01, 2020, 10:58:18 AM »

Agree with dax here

I believe this was addressed when all spring sports were cancelled.

As for the appropriate academic environment for sports to begin, Emmert said: “College athletes are college students, and you can’t have college sports if you don’t have college (campuses) open and having students on them. You don’t want to ever put student-athletes at greater risk than the rest of the student body.”

In Division I, he said, “all of the commissioners and every president that I’ve talked to is in clear agreement: If you don’t have students on campus, you don’t have student-athletes on campus.

“That doesn’t mean it has to be up and running in the full normal model, but you’ve got to treat the health and well-being of the athletes at least as much as the regular students. So if a school doesn’t reopen, then they’re not going to be playing sports. It’s really that simple.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2020/05/08/coronavirus-mark-emmert-college-sports-return-students-campus/3100733001/

Maybe they've changed their tune after a couple months.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 01, 2020, 11:01:01 AM »
We talk about deaths almost exclusively, but it sounds like there is some potential for long term respiratory problems even for people who recover.  If there is any validity to that it certainly calls into question the  "just get it now" idea.
:adios:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 01, 2020, 11:04:23 AM »
when children get RSV as infants it messes with them for the entire time they are growing up. whenever they get a cough it's much worse and barky and they are susceptible to worse breathing issues from other viruses and infections. Is it like that or is it just like you can't breath as good all the time?

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 01, 2020, 11:16:04 AM »
Limited info available.  No one is really "long-term" on a new disease yet, but it sounds like it is likely going to affect more severe cases, as one would expect.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-covid-19-some-patients-may-suffer-lasting-lung-damage

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/what-coronavirus-does-to-the-lungs

:adios:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 01, 2020, 02:43:46 PM »

Agree with dax here

I believe this was addressed when all spring sports were cancelled.

As for the appropriate academic environment for sports to begin, Emmert said: “College athletes are college students, and you can’t have college sports if you don’t have college (campuses) open and having students on them. You don’t want to ever put student-athletes at greater risk than the rest of the student body.”

In Division I, he said, “all of the commissioners and every president that I’ve talked to is in clear agreement: If you don’t have students on campus, you don’t have student-athletes on campus.

“That doesn’t mean it has to be up and running in the full normal model, but you’ve got to treat the health and well-being of the athletes at least as much as the regular students. So if a school doesn’t reopen, then they’re not going to be playing sports. It’s really that simple.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2020/05/08/coronavirus-mark-emmert-college-sports-return-students-campus/3100733001/

Maybe they've changed their tune after a couple months.

They may have to change their tune and also Emmert is forever going to have to battle the modern day perceptions of the student athlete experience . . . and that starts with the billion dollar plus, private jet owning enterprise known as the NCAA.

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 01, 2020, 07:23:16 PM »
i'm not saying i know the reward of playing college football outweighs the risk of it but i'm always amazed how many football players complain about being a football player in college but spent their entire life and most of their parent's income working their tails off and sacrificing so much to be a college football player. only to bitch about it after they attain their hard earned goal. if it was so bad why are millions of kids doing everything possible for so many years to continue to try to be something that sucks so bad? why dont the current players tell the high school kids how bad it is so they won't have to be miserable either?

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 01, 2020, 07:24:59 PM »
If there's not a vaccine or some cure, college students at campus will be a disaster.  With these kids sucking and rough ridin' everything in sight, the college and town will be a bunch of sick puppies. 
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 01, 2020, 11:42:15 PM »
I didn't read the article but I'd be more concerned with how many non-football players die as a result of a season and full-blown semester for all students.

absolutely.

I wonder how sys feels about increasing the odds of his dad dying of covid so his favorite football team is more competitive in September

i think the idea that there might be a college football season without on campus classes is completely delusional and i think having a normal semester with students on campus would put faculty, staff and townies at much increased risk.

far more worried about 20k students in mhk from august-december than 100 college football players, no matter what those players are asked to do.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: July 01, 2020, 11:45:22 PM »
https://twitter.com/HenryBushnell/status/1278320513073516545

fwiw, a lot of the doctors, epidemiologists and virologists i follow have been dunking all over that study.  or at least the way it has been reported in the popular media.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 02, 2020, 06:41:24 AM »

absolutely.

i think the idea that there might be a college football season without on campus classes is completely delusional and i think having a normal semester with students on campus would put faculty, staff and townies at much increased risk.

far more worried about 20k students in mhk from august-december than 100 college football players, no matter what those players are asked to do.
August-November

Offline ksuchris2000

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 02, 2020, 11:59:36 AM »
https://ktla.com/news/local-news/usc-reverts-back-to-online-classes-for-fall-semester-a-month-after-announcing-students-would-return-to-campus/

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Interesting. USC is a private school and can somewhat make its own rules with respect to online classes, having athletes on campus, and keeping athletic schedules. I have a feeling the public schools are going to be a bit more restrictive.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 02, 2020, 01:28:45 PM »

absolutely.

agree 100%. I honestly think college sports are the only ones that are at risk of not coming back at all this year because their return is tied to 20k students congregating.. Professionals can realistically bubble and high schools don't rely on people congregating from all over the country and can be cancelled locally. HS sports also don't have the financial pressure to play - I'm guessing most districts would save money w/o sports.