Author Topic: No 2020 College Football :-(  (Read 94571 times)

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
Re: No 2020 College Football :-(
« Reply #200 on: June 24, 2020, 06:54:00 PM »
I think Albert Einstein said it best:

Quote from: Einstein
Aww yeeeah, time to eff!
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #201 on: June 24, 2020, 07:51:49 PM »
Canco, Albert pulled.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 25, 2020, 10:37:56 AM »
we'll see 70% of 25,000 players get it, at a death rate of 1 in ~200.

the mortality rate among college-aged people is much, much lower than that.
So I’ve heard. I was just taking PurpleOil at face value. That appears to have been a mistake.

That's because no one actually bothered to read what I wrote. I didn't say that there was a .5% mortality rate in people under 25 years old. I said,

The current percentages of death by those in the <25 age group with confirmed cases is less than .5%

Since we know that the number of people with the coronavirus is much higher than the number of confirmed cases due to asymptomatic carriers who never get tested, and that not everyone in that age group will even become infected, it is easy to conclude that the actual mortality rate for this age group is much much lower. This is the same conclusion that you all have come to by doing some simple math.

I went back and looked at where I grabbed my data, and the article was citing the New York City Department of Health's report as of the end of April.

New York is a hot spot. Not exactly appropriate to extrapolate throughout the country, but also not inaccurate for predicting what could be seen on a college campus.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 10:50:00 AM by PurpleOil »

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 25, 2020, 12:15:59 PM »
I know everyone made fun of Cuomo's "if it saves one life it's worth it" but honestly if this saves a life it two in MHK, a 14 day football workout pause is probably worth it.

Where's justwin to tell us how much a life is actuarily worth?
I think like $200k was his figure
Not sure about Mean Gene, but Currie wouldn’t sacrifice an hour of football prep for that measley sum.

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 25, 2020, 03:56:22 PM »
well i guess i would need to see that college athletes rate of infection is significantly higher than the overall population for people their age to conclude that the sport is a significant risk to the population.
we got kids in bars every night who are not athletes. they are currently spreading like crazy.
if coaches can educate the players to reduce risk we might show an overall benefit to players by participating in a program like football that reinforces need to take precautions versus a normal kid who goes out and does whatever he wants with little reinforcement from parents
it will just take time to find out

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 25, 2020, 04:27:00 PM »
well i guess i would need to see that college athletes rate of infection is significantly higher than the overall population for people their age to conclude that the sport is a significant risk to the population.
we got kids in bars every night who are not athletes. they are currently spreading like crazy.
if coaches can educate the players to reduce risk we might show an overall benefit to players by participating in a program like football that reinforces need to take precautions versus a normal kid who goes out and does whatever he wants with little reinforcement from parents

They really shouldn't be doing that
:adios:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 25, 2020, 04:36:22 PM »

they're going to if bars are open and if not they'll have house parties.

US colleges are gonna be in a tricky situation because they are gathering points for people from all over the world and are extremely dense and often have small vulnerable communities that rely on them economically.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 25, 2020, 04:40:18 PM »
Are there girls (or guys!) to talk to at bars and parties in MHK right now?

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 25, 2020, 04:42:12 PM »

they probably also shouldn't be fingerblasting rando fillies they don't know for sure are rona free but this is college bruh

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 26, 2020, 07:57:10 AM »
#YOLO, BAC!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: June 26, 2020, 08:07:42 AM »

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 26, 2020, 08:14:30 AM »
https://twitter.com/stevenjgaither/status/1276501237484183552

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suspect many more will come down the line
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 26, 2020, 08:51:57 AM »
Who's house?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 26, 2020, 09:10:28 AM »
lol. Oh no, Morehouse pulled out! :lol:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 26, 2020, 09:15:42 AM »
lol. Oh no, Morehouse pulled out! :lol:

it's a sign of what's coming. Gene alluded to the cost of testing and what happens when teams with big budgets that can test everyone plays teams with smaller budgets that can only test occasionally. Gonna be a lot of issues that come up that we aren't thinking of that'll make it tough to play

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 26, 2020, 09:19:40 AM »
I know.  :frown: This is how I deal with bad news. By masking it like it never happened and turning it into a joke. What a dumb name for a college, right? :D

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 26, 2020, 01:08:47 PM »
Not exactly new territory for football though. At the beginning of May, most of California said they were suspending fall sports. By the end of May, the P5 colleges were all confident that they would see the field on time. Now they're back to being sidelined. We've got over two months until the first games are supposed to be played. I don't disagree that this looks bad, but two months is an eternity as far as Covid goes. There's no way to predict what the situation will be by then.

I just reordered my season tickets, so I'm curious to see if K-State keeps our money and credits it towards next year or issues a refund should the officially cancel the season.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 26, 2020, 01:18:41 PM »
Not exactly new territory for football though. At the beginning of May, most of California said they were suspending fall sports. By the end of May, the P5 colleges were all confident that they would see the field on time. Now they're back to being sidelined. We've got over two months until the first games are supposed to be played. I don't disagree that this looks bad, but two months is an eternity as far as Covid goes. There's no way to predict what the situation will be by then.

well, we do have about 4 months of data that could give us an idea of what could happen in two months. I think the biggest unknown is if a P5 school cancels in-person classes

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 26, 2020, 03:30:22 PM »
I know.  :frown: This is how I deal with bad news. By masking it like it never happened and turning it into a joke. What a dumb name for a college, right? :D
Did you know Morehouse is a HBC?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 26, 2020, 07:10:59 PM »

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 26, 2020, 11:30:51 PM »
It seems like it’s gonna trickle out and the NCAA will eventually pull the plug on the season right before it starts. I mean think about the evolution of how the conference hoops tourneys went. The news just kept getting wilder and wilder until ultimately #BigCovid stole KU’s opportunity to compete for the championship out of their rightful hands. 

Btw if by some reason we actually get to play a basketball season but they have to close tge arenas to fans and broadcast games online so we can watch, we better call it Octagon of Zoom lolololol lmao roflmao lolfartbbq
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 26, 2020, 11:56:42 PM »
I think we are going to have to see a lot more before the FBS conferences pull the plug on football. They are deathly afraid to run these athletic departments without football revenue. A season without football will be highly damaging to the athletic departments. I think when they see these pro sports leagues playing they will feel comfortable enough to give it a go.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 26, 2020, 11:59:18 PM »
I think we are going to have to see a lot more before the FBS conferences pull the plug on football. They are deathly afraid to run these athletic departments without football revenue. A season without football will be highly damaging to the athletic departments. I think when they see these pro sports leagues playing they will feel comfortable enough to give it a go.
Pro and college sports are two completely different things. Contracts guarantee stuff on Pro Sports. They only guarantee the conferences in college. Idk
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
No 2020 College Football :-(
« Reply #223 on: June 27, 2020, 12:00:46 AM »
Please bear in mind I may have had a single beer tonight
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 27, 2020, 12:31:12 AM »
Pros aren't expected to be regular students. But I agree the major colleges at least will wait until the very last possible minute to shut it down. I mean didn't the big east shut down a game literally at halftime?