Author Topic: Do You Know Anyone with COVID-19?  (Read 56271 times)

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Know Anyone with COVID-19?
« Reply #375 on: January 07, 2021, 10:25:50 AM »
yeah, I've noted it here before or in the other thread but my parents are in their mid 60s. very active, no comorbidities. 2.5 months in ICU for one. got the call twice to get there immediately because it was probably the end. not real fun 5 hour drives to make. only time we were allowed in to see them. we are trying to stay grateful that they survived and hoping to see small improvements as they work to get back. but, can only make so much improvement with lung damage.

Sheesh, sorry Steve Dave.  I hope they can make a full recovery.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #376 on: January 07, 2021, 10:25:57 AM »
My friend's father has horrible lung damage. They're essentially waiting for him to die. His mom is same age and barely had a cough while infected. Certainly has different effects on each person.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 07, 2021, 10:28:18 AM »
My friend's father has horrible lung damage. They're essentially waiting for him to die. His mom is same age and barely had a cough while infected. Certainly has different effects on each person.
If your friends father has smoked ever certainly doesn’t help. Im afraid if my grandpa gets it he will be dead before you can say scat. Since he has chain smoked since he was 10
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 07, 2021, 10:43:20 AM »
yeah, I've noted it here before or in the other thread but my parents are in their mid 60s. very active, no comorbidities. 2.5 months in ICU for one. got the call twice to get there immediately because it was probably the end. not real fun 5 hour drives to make. only time we were allowed in to see them. we are trying to stay grateful that they survived and hoping to see small improvements as they work to get back. but, can only make so much improvement with lung damage.

Sheesh, sorry Steve Dave.  I hope they can make a full recovery.
Thank you. One of them can. One of them for sure cannot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 07, 2021, 10:56:57 AM »
@TBT, do you have more than one sister? You said your sister got it early on with this stuff started. Did she get it twice? Honestly interested in this. I haven't heard about repeat cases yet.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
Do You Know Anyone with COVID-19?
« Reply #380 on: January 07, 2021, 11:02:04 AM »
All 3 of my sisters and a brother has gotten it too.  None have been repeat cases. My dad is battling it now too.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 07, 2021, 11:12:02 AM »
T's & P's, fam.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 07, 2021, 11:28:18 AM »
awesome news sandstone. I am so jacked to get mine whenever it's public.

How are your parents hanging in?  I know they're through it but the effects sound like a PITA

one is back to about 80% energy levels but that's the only remaining symptom. the other will be on oxygen for the rest of their life and possibly won't be able to care for themselves without daily check ins for the remainder as well. could potentially be a candidate for a lung transplant but further testing needed. you know them so you know how they were prior to getting it. it's an awful disease.

weirdly neither ever lost their sense of taste or smell.

They both seemed healthy AF for their age (from what I know) which makes it scary that they were hit so hard.  Hoping for the best and have been getting the occasional update through intermediaries.  I kept thinking I would hear something more positive and, while the worst was avoided, the recovery just sounded like it has been tough.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 07, 2021, 11:31:46 AM »
awesome news sandstone. I am so jacked to get mine whenever it's public.

How are your parents hanging in?  I know they're through it but the effects sound like a PITA

one is back to about 80% energy levels but that's the only remaining symptom. the other will be on oxygen for the rest of their life and possibly won't be able to care for themselves without daily check ins for the remainder as well. could potentially be a candidate for a lung transplant but further testing needed. you know them so you know how they were prior to getting it. it's an awful disease.

weirdly neither ever lost their sense of taste or smell.

They both seemed healthy AF for their age (from what I know) which makes it scary that they were hit so hard.  Hoping for the best and have been getting the occasional update through intermediaries.  I kept thinking I would hear something more positive and, while the worst was avoided, the recovery just sounded like it has been tough.
Yeah, they were. Appreciate the thoughts bro.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 07, 2021, 11:34:01 AM »
Just got word from the Red Cross that my AtlasChip is on board. I'm another brick in the wall of herd immunity.

I'll be donating tomorrow, looks like you got your results in 10 days?

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 07, 2021, 12:21:42 PM »
Yip. Donated on Dec 4. Got the results on Dec 14. I don't think they pushed a notification to me, so you should keep checking the app for results.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 07, 2021, 01:02:22 PM »
Just got word from the Red Cross that my AtlasChip is on board. I'm another brick in the wall of herd immunity.

Everyone who donates through the Red cross the next month will be entered in a drawing for 2022 Super Bowl tickets.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 07, 2021, 02:23:36 PM »

Everyone who donates through the Red cross the next month will be entered in a drawing for 2022 Super Bowl tickets.
Well thats good to know. I had actually signed up yesterday to donate later this month.  :thumbs:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 08, 2021, 09:05:21 AM »
Just got my Moderna chip. Interested to see if I feel effects from the AtlasVaxx antibodies getting boosted. Just signed up for the V-safe website. They will send me daily texts with questions about post-chip symptoms.
Update on my chipping. Having some soreness in my deltoid at the injection site. No fevers. Vague sense of depersonalization and fuzziness in the head which I think is a hangover (probably didn't properly respect the chip by overly indulging in bourbon last night but I was watching riot/election news...). Completed the first V-safe questionnaire which was easy - expecting another one later today.

If you get  a chip, would recommend not treating any minor symptoms with tylenol or motrin - it is just your immune system - plasma cells, antigen presenting cells, etc chatting amongst themselves about how to make beautiful spike-protein directed antibodies and fever-reducing meds could blunt that process.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 08, 2021, 09:19:20 AM »
Nice

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: January 08, 2021, 09:23:09 AM »
That last bit seems like a good pro tip

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 08, 2021, 09:28:00 AM »
That last bit seems like a good pro tip
Yes, appreciated that

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 08, 2021, 09:30:26 AM »
My wife gets the Moderna one next week.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 08, 2021, 09:31:16 AM »
why would taking pain killer be bad?  Like it inhibits the chip from working to full potential?  If that's the case, that should be on everybody's instruction list after their poke.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 08, 2021, 09:52:06 AM »
Just signed up to get Moderna, said it may take up to a month to receive. I like how the British call it a jab. I'm going to use that once I get jabbed.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 08, 2021, 09:58:11 AM »
why would taking pain killer be bad?  Like it inhibits the chip from working to full potential?  If that's the case, that should be on everybody's instruction list after their poke.
It isn't the pain killing part of the med that is the problem, it is the suppression of the fever system. The immune system works somewhat better when the body temperature is elevated slightly. That's the main reason humans have developed a fever response. (Not talking about fevers of 104 or more that can cook your brain) but a nice one in the 100.4 range.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 08, 2021, 09:59:14 AM »
Just signed up to get Moderna, said it may take up to a month to receive. I like how the British call it a jab. I'm going to use that once I get jabbed.
There are so many cool expressions that the British use. I would adopt more of them but my family and folks in general here in Smallville are very suspicious of foreign - sounding lingo.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 08, 2021, 11:06:10 AM »
There are so many cool expressions that the British use. I would adopt more of them but my family and folks in general here in Smallville are very suspicious of foreign - sounding lingo.

I've replaced right away with straight away in my daily life

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 08, 2021, 11:15:50 AM »

My grandmother was from England (met my grandfather during WWII, he went over after the war and brought her back to America). She had a pretty significant accent until the day she passed but didn't use a lot of the awesome expressions. Now, when her brothers and sisters would come over, it was amazing and I wish I was old enough to appreciate it at the time (and document more of the terms/phrases they would use)

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 08, 2021, 11:38:08 AM »

My grandmother was from England (met my grandfather during WWII, he went over after the war and brought her back to America). She had a pretty significant accent until the day she passed but didn't use a lot of the awesome expressions. Now, when her brothers and sisters would come over, it was amazing and I wish I was old enough to appreciate it at the time (and document more of the terms/phrases they would use)
That's v. cool about your grandma coming from England. Have you been to England to visit cousins? There was an Italian woman in my hometown who had come to the US with her husband after WW2 and I used to mow her yard. Wonderful lady with wonderful accent. One time I broke off a water spigot on the side of her house with my mower and she was really nice about it - refused my offers to pay for the damage.

I have some distant relatives who live in Europe who have pleaded with us to come visit. I promised myself / my wife we will go after the COVID is over.