Author Topic: I’m in military quarantine in Jordan and bored. AMA.  (Read 8591 times)

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: I’m in military quarantine in Jordan and bored. AMA.
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2020, 05:27:38 PM »
How big is the Embassy grounds and how many people are quarantined there?  Looking for pop. density, and no hectares or meters.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2020, 05:37:20 PM »
What does Jordan do better than the U S of A?
This is a tough question. Because obviously America is the best at everything. But also, unlike Egypt, I really like Jordan for the most part.

USAID hates when I say this, but Jordan is like the world’s most tolerant police state. So that’s something.

And Jordanians themselves are actually super friendly and sincerely generous (when they’re not throwing sticks at water delivery trucks during quarantines).

Me and Mrs Rex we’re given an option to evac. We declined. In large part because Jordan can actually impose necessary measures without weeks of political fuckery. So, Jordan is definitely better at immediate action. We’ll we how those bread/water truck deliveries progress.

Also, they have their own kind of stir fry here made with lamb and spicy peppers and onions and garlic and that’s really good. Also they make fries out of cheese instead of potatoes so deal with that, keto bro’s.

Oh, and once a month I take my girls to the citadel (which is a huge hill in the middle of the city with lots of cool ancient ruins) and we fly kites and time we wrapped our giant octopus kite around one of the columns of the actual temple of Hercules and the guards thought it was hilarious and we all worked together to get it out, so that was awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2020, 05:39:34 PM »
How big is the Embassy grounds and how many people are quarantined there?  Looking for pop. density, and no hectares or meters.
Embassy ground are pretty big. Like at least 6-7 football fields. But we don’t live there. We’re all in our own individual residences. Other than the Marine Security Guards and the ambassador, there’s no housing at the embassy.

"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2020, 06:36:38 PM »

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2020, 06:46:54 PM »
Do they have street ice cream guys that clown on kids and tourists or is that just a Turkish thing?

Are there hookah bars with people just in plastic chairs smoking hookah with tea sets everywhere?

Coffee or tea country?

Also have you ever seen the queen? Is she so beautiful that your wife is like a fan or has she crossed over in to the next level where she is basically a demigod and your wife is jealous and angry about even the idea of her?

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2020, 06:53:48 PM »
Also they make fries out of cheese instead of potatoes so deal with that, keto bro’s.
Isn't that just mozzarella sticks?  :confused:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2020, 11:01:41 PM »
what’s the oxygen like there?  same as egypt? more like the moon?  outer space?
do you have to wear breathing apparatuses like a space suit?  what about gravity?  more or less than in the us?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2020, 07:35:00 AM »
what’s the oxygen like there?  same as egypt? more like the moon?  outer space?
do you have to wear breathing apparatuses like a space suit?  what about gravity?  more or less than in the us?
Well, I think they filmed the Martian here, so keep that in mind. Also, the most common complaint from expats who come here is allergies. I never had allergies before, but I have terrible allergies here and only here. If I leave Amman for 24 hours, they entirely go away. So yes, maybe moon air would be my answer.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2020, 07:35:21 AM »
Also they make fries out of cheese instead of potatoes so deal with that, keto bro’s.
Isn't that just mozzarella sticks?  :confused:
Deep fried halloumi sticks.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2020, 07:38:15 AM »
Is there really a deep state plot to overthrow trump and replace him with Hillary?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2020, 07:51:27 AM »
I NEVER RECEIVED MY GENIE!  :curse:

which is fine. have your wife video you taking out the trash and post please, tia.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2020, 07:53:11 AM »
Are my questions going to be answered?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2020, 08:39:37 AM »
Did you have a nanny/housekeeper and if so is your household now in disarray?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2020, 08:57:28 AM »
I'm fascinated by the over representation of Mormons that work at embassies, like it get it they have overseas experience from their mission, usually speak at least 2 languages and you don't have to worry about them getting in compromising positions...just something I would have never known unless it was from gE.

Some follow up questions about Mormons and the state department.

1. What percentage of staff at a random Embassy if Mormon? Do they have a higher density at Embassies in certain places?

2. Does the state department actively recruit Mormons more than other groups or does it happen organically?

3. I love reading about mormon history but have never met an actual mormon. Are they as nice/do goody/wholesome as they are always represented? Do they say regular cuss words or things like "crumudgeon"? 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2020, 09:01:43 AM »
Also Felix when can I review your sitcom script

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2020, 09:11:14 AM »
Do Jordanians have a weird inferiority complex about the Mediterranean Sea? Will they just go on for hours about all the reasons the Red Sea is better?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2020, 10:26:48 AM »
no consideration for the dead sea?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2020, 10:33:53 AM »
that's a fair point. I mean in terms of global shipping lanes its p useless, but its arguably the most important sea for enthusiasts of scrolls.  Looking forward to Felix's response.  :bwpopcorn:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2020, 10:44:01 AM »
3. I love reading about mormon history but have never met an actual mormon. Are they as nice/do goody/wholesome as they are always represented? Do they say regular cuss words or things like "crumudgeon"? 

My wife grew up mormon and left the church but a lot of her family is still Mormon. They're pretty nice but have an insanely insular culture, for the most part they don't socialize with non-mormons and like my wife's aunts are amazed when I'm around them being a nice person with kids who aren't demons. But here's an anecdote about cussing:

You know the card game Bullshit? The family plays it, but they don't call it Bullshit. Or even BS. They call it BC and made it a point to make it clear that the "C" stood for "crud" and not the other "c" word. (Crap). Granted these were like kids but it was funny.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2020, 10:55:26 AM »
which thing happens more often?

- jordanian muslims boozing

- mormons mountain dew'ing

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2020, 10:57:18 AM »
Will you finally meet the ICT contingent for a drink at some point?
Yes, if only to hand deliver long delayed fattyfest auction items (cc waks and stevedave).

Next time you make it into town, @ us on Twitter and we'll make it happen.
@mikec2w

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2020, 11:00:08 AM »

My wife grew up mormon and left the church but a lot of her family is still Mormon. They're pretty nice but have an insanely insular culture, for the most part they don't socialize with non-mormons and like my wife's aunts are amazed when I'm around them being a nice person with kids who aren't demons. But here's an anecdote about cussing:

You know the card game Bullshit? The family plays it, but they don't call it Bullshit. Or even BS. They call it BC and made it a point to make it clear that the "C" stood for "crud" and not the other "c" word. (Crap). Granted these were like kids but it was funny.

I saw Brett Favre talking about Andy Reid and Andy's favorite swear when he gets mad is "son of a buck!".
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2020, 11:29:50 AM »
no consideration for the dead sea?

What I want to know is, which is more smelly/garbage-y/dead fish-y?  The Dead Sea or the Salton Sea?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2020, 01:38:39 PM »

:thumbs:

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2020, 02:46:52 PM »
Do they have street ice cream guys that clown on kids and tourists or is that just a Turkish thing?

Are there hookah bars with people just in plastic chairs smoking hookah with tea sets everywhere?

Coffee or tea country?

Also have you ever seen the queen? Is she so beautiful that your wife is like a fan or has she crossed over in to the next level where she is basically a demigod and your wife is jealous and angry about even the idea of her?
1. That must be a Turkish thing. But they do have propane tank delivery trucks that drive around playing music and will absolutely devastate your young children when they realize they are NOT an ice cream truck. Also, the most popular ice cream chain here has a flavor called “Arabic” and if I survive and am not evacuated I hereby pledge to eat and review it. It’s green. I think it has pistachios and coffee beans.*

2. Yes. Hookah bars everywhere. But all that is shut down down. Also, basically every restaurant is a hookah bar. It’s part of why we don’t eat out much with the kids. But WITHOUT the kids, I hit that hookah hard and get double apple or double mint.

3. Coffee or tea? Sort of both, but (and I’m free wheeling here), I think it’s sort of a class thing. When I meet with bedouins, we’re drinking tea with mint and so much sugar that it could be hummingbird feed. It’s amazing. You could put it on pancakes. When I meet with gov types, it’s Turkish coffee in tiny cups and it’s super strong and makes me jittery if I have more than three.

4. I have not met the royal family at all. Once, the Crown Prince’s motorcade cut us off in Aqaba. That’s as close as I’ve come. Also, one time a senator visited and had a meeting scheduled with the king and at the last minute the King also invited her husband to join the meeting. The husband didn’t pack for a king meeting, but we were basically the same size suit. So, I have a suit that met the king.