Author Topic: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread  (Read 1049874 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread
« Reply #14375 on: March 08, 2021, 09:24:48 AM »
an interesting thought experiment is what is the most sickness you would tolerate if it meant you wouldn't have to wear a mask to work every day in cold and flu season?

I think losing my voice would be one (which happened like every other year or so), the flu, or just like a day where I couldn't work because I was so sick might be enough.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #14376 on: March 08, 2021, 09:28:17 AM »
an interesting thought experiment is what is the most sickness you would tolerate if it meant you wouldn't have to wear a mask to work every day in cold and flu season?

I think losing my voice would be one (which happened like every other year or so), the flu, or just like a day where I couldn't work because I was so sick might be enough.
I would take a full on, barfing flu every year in exchange for not wearing a mask anywhere ever again.  Basically any "normal" illness.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14377 on: March 08, 2021, 09:31:56 AM »
When you step back it's really baffling how masks became a political issue

Yea since it's like the least demanding mitigation.

It really is, that being said, I cannot wait til I don't have to anymore.
Why?
I also can’t wait to stop wearing masks everywhere. It sucks. I do it, it’s the right thing to do, but it is a worse life experience than it otherwise would be.

I'm genuinely curious, in what situations is it a worse life experience?

You say you’re genuinely curious, but it feels like you’re being intentionally dense here, you’re too smart to not get this.

Uncomfortable to wear compared to not wearing, damp face from condensation, more difficult to hear other people, have set to read other people’s facial expressions, one more thing to remember to have with you all the time, putting it on and taking it off every time the waitress at the outdoor restaurant comes by to take an order or check on the table, feeling shamed into wearing it while walking the dog outside and not talking to anyone which is dumb because that’s a zero transmission scenario.

That is just from the mask itself, not the societal implications of “other people are dangerous, stay away” that the mask symbolizes.
:adios:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14378 on: March 08, 2021, 09:33:29 AM »
I would be willing to wear a mask during cold season, but only if the common cold is proven to spread by airborne particles and enough other people were doing it to make any sort of difference. The flu isn't something that I come down with very often at all, and I get vaccinated for it annually, anyway. And the barfing stuff is almost always something food-borne. A lot of these diseases are spread by contact, and masks wouldn't really help with that.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14379 on: March 08, 2021, 09:36:30 AM »

I’m very comfortable with my current rate of taking an average of 1 or 2 PTO days a year for illness.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14380 on: March 08, 2021, 09:45:20 AM »
You say you’re genuinely curious, but it feels like you’re being intentionally dense here, you’re too smart to not get this.
No I think I just don't wear them all that much and genuinely don't see them as a burden. I wear it to the grocery store or to a restaurant outside maybe once a week or when I carpool my kids and their friends to things. Obviously people that don't live in the coastal elite bubbles are out and about a lot more and in indoor social situations that I haven't really experienced.

Uncomfortable to wear compared to not wearing, damp face from condensation, more difficult to hear other people, have set to read other people’s facial expressions, one more thing to remember to have with you all the time, putting it on and taking it off every time the waitress at the outdoor restaurant comes by to take an order or check on the table, feeling shamed into wearing it while walking the dog outside and not talking to anyone which is dumb because that’s a zero transmission scenario.

sounds like we need better designed masks!

I agree any form of outdoor shaming is dumb.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread
« Reply #14381 on: March 08, 2021, 09:50:02 AM »

I’m very comfortable with my current rate of taking an average of 1 or 2 PTO days a year for illness.
Yeah the risk benefit analysis seems pretty easy for a typical year. I’d be happy to fight off my typical “is it a cold or just allergies” 1-3 times a year for never worrying about masks.

However, during cold and flu season, I’d probably still mask up and social distance except where it didn’t make sense (like if I’m meeting people to eat or talk). Part of that is having a high risk kid at home, but also I just don’t like being sick if I can avoid it.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14382 on: March 08, 2021, 09:52:11 AM »
I might be more likely to take a sick day for something like a bad cold moving forward. At least for the next few years, anyway.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14383 on: March 08, 2021, 09:57:27 AM »
No I think I just don't wear them all that much and genuinely don't see them as a burden. I wear it to the grocery store or to a restaurant outside maybe once a week or when I carpool my kids and their friends to things. Obviously people that don't live in the coastal elite bubbles are out and about a lot more and in indoor social situations that I haven't really experienced.

sounds like we need better designed masks!

I agree any form of outdoor shaming is dumb.
Chicago is an honorary Coastal Elite bubble city in terms of Covid!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14384 on: March 08, 2021, 09:59:12 AM »

like I'm pretty sure the only time I've worn a mask for more than 30 minutes uninterrupted was on flights to and from Hawaii. :gocho:

Seemed like a minor price to pay and I'd gladly do it on every flight to Hawaii for the rest of my life, but I might have a different perspective if I was in an office interacting with people face-to-face every day.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #14385 on: March 08, 2021, 10:08:37 AM »
I’ve worn masks in 90 degree heat for hours on end and, folks, it sucks. BUT, worth it. Also coaching little kids in baseball in a mask sucks crap. I’ve had an N95 for like 6 hour stretches in airports and on flights and that also sucks bigtime. All of it pretty much sucks to me. But whatever, I’ll do it until Gottlieb tells me it’s cool and chill to not do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14386 on: March 08, 2021, 10:35:36 AM »
If you go into certain communities around here, you'll get the same results in terms of not getting vaccinated.

But please stick with your closed minded partisan dogma.

Also, since it's well known (and according to resident ProgFascists) that the military is now very Prog-Lib and hated Trump . . . many members of the military say they're not going to get vaccinated either, prompting calls for mandatory vaccinations.

"Certain communities," lol. There's a difference between black people in Alabama, home of the Tuskegee Experiments, not trusting the government and people not getting the vaccine because they think Trump or some made up internet person doesn't want them to get it.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14387 on: March 08, 2021, 10:55:07 AM »
I’ve worn masks in 90 degree heat for hours on end and, folks, it sucks. BUT, worth it. Also coaching little kids in baseball in a mask sucks crap. I’ve had an N95 for like 6 hour stretches in airports and on flights and that also sucks bigtime. All of it pretty much sucks to me. But whatever, I’ll do it until Gottlieb tells me it’s cool and chill to not do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah outdoor baseball masked needs to stop.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14388 on: March 08, 2021, 11:03:46 AM »

like I'm pretty sure the only time I've worn a mask for more than 30 minutes uninterrupted was on flights to and from Hawaii. :gocho:

Seemed like a minor price to pay and I'd gladly do it on every flight to Hawaii for the rest of my life, but I might have a different perspective if I was in an office interacting with people face-to-face every day.

Like, that is a pretty easy way to have it tbh, I've flown a lot towards the end of the year, it sucked, worth it, but sucked. Same with when we are now very close to everyone having to return to the office it sucked during that period of 4 months being there having to remember to wear it the second you left your desk to take a piss, or talk to a coworker, I "get" it but it was a pain. I am milking staying at home almost exclusively at this point because having to wear it is a pain in the ass if you are doing like basic crap like going to talk to someone. There are some things worth it, but doing it all the time and well after we are "over" this seems like rank overkill and just seems post apocalyptic and unnatural.

Then I think of my mom, who works with kids day in and day out, and has to wear it like 8 hours a day straight, what a drag.

IMO I am totally fine with it for doing it like how Asian countries thought of it before this pandemic of protecting others if you are sick, or in general if you are packed together like sardines in a plane, but agree with a lot here, you lose so much social cues and whatnot with a mask. I am already isolated, with a mask I feel even more distant from people, and this is coming from a person who for the most part enjoys his alone time. At some point, very soon, the crisis will be over, and the sacrificing will need to stop, we're not quite there, but I dream of when it is.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14389 on: March 08, 2021, 11:13:20 AM »
So I'm spending all day in the Iowa Statehouse today and the mask use or the lack thereof is shocking. I'd say the overall mask usage is around 50% and the number of legislators is definitely lower than that. One representative, actually he was my representative until I moved last week, came up to us and said "I'm only wearing this because of the haters." This line was hilarious for several reasons, one of which was because none of his colleagues are wearing them. Also this idiot was carrying around the actual newspaper copy of The Epoch Times.

Wanna see who this moron is? It might surprise you.

The only Republican elected official I've seen in a mask was the Lt. Governor.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14390 on: March 08, 2021, 11:19:38 AM »
Have they maybe been double chipped so they think they are good to go?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14392 on: March 08, 2021, 11:42:58 AM »
He had a hard copy of the Epoch times?

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14393 on: March 08, 2021, 12:31:14 PM »
chipdonlyPAK.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated.html

My nearterm Vegas plans don't seem to meld well with this guidance.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14394 on: March 08, 2021, 12:31:27 PM »

Iowa didn't have a vaccination clinic for legislators, they are in the whatever tier they would fall into if they were not a legislator. Also double chipped may still spread COVID. I assumed that these people would know this stuff, but the longer I'm getting into the day I'm discovering these legislators aren't as knowledgeable as I assumed.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14395 on: March 08, 2021, 12:32:34 PM »

Sure did, I was stunned to see it was something that could afford to publish a newspaper.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14396 on: March 08, 2021, 12:34:07 PM »

Sure did, I was stunned to see it was something that could afford to publish a newspaper.

Pretty sure hemmy just printed that crap off for him
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14397 on: March 08, 2021, 12:57:13 PM »
I had an Epoch times get mailed to my house or dipped off in the mailbox once.  Also, I think I posted this here before, but this was in DC

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14398 on: March 08, 2021, 01:00:47 PM »
yep I think I've received a hard copy in my mail once or twice. pretty wild.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14399 on: March 08, 2021, 01:02:35 PM »

Iowa didn't have a vaccination clinic for legislators, they are in the whatever tier they would fall into if they were not a legislator. Also double chipped may still spread COVID. I assumed that these people would know this stuff, but the longer I'm getting into the day I'm discovering these legislators aren't as knowledgeable as I assumed.

Yeah for sure not excusing them.