Author Topic: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread  (Read 465751 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread
« Reply #14625 on: March 07, 2021, 10:07:34 PM »
So I got vaccinated, when can I start flashing my vaccination card and not have to wear a mask?
@bentren

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14626 on: March 07, 2021, 10:17:39 PM »
So I got vaccinated, when can I start flashing my vaccination card and not have to wear a mask?
Do you have to wear a mask anywhere? I thought that was done

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14627 on: March 07, 2021, 10:18:47 PM »
I am going to Texas tomorrow and will be double masking to make up for one person not masking

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14628 on: March 07, 2021, 10:20:32 PM »
When you step back it's really baffling how masks became a political issue

Yea since it's like the least demanding mitigation.

It really is, that being said, I cannot wait til I don't have to anymore.
Why?

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14629 on: March 08, 2021, 06:06:25 AM »
I am going to Texas tomorrow and will be double masking to make up for one person not masking

Mask mandate doesn't end until Wed. here.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14630 on: March 08, 2021, 07:31:08 AM »
Japanese Supercomputer LOL’s at double masking.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14631 on: March 08, 2021, 07:36:17 AM »

Why?

Why? Why do you want to keep wearing them forever? (I know that's not what you meant, and I'm sure you misinterpreted mine). I am not cheering some end to mask mandates, that's dumb, but I sure as crap am ready for the day, after we get vaccinated to be done wearing it. It's not a thing from this pandemic I'd like to keep seeing for years (unless you are the person sick). It's one reason to think masks work, it's another thing to think we still need to keep wearing them for gob smacks longer time, the day we don't have to wear them means we're done with pandemic (and not when the Texas governor thinks we have).
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #14632 on: March 08, 2021, 07:45:26 AM »
japanese super computer aficionados have logged on

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #14633 on: March 08, 2021, 07:47:22 AM »
Republicans must really idolize that one anti-vax Kennedy
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14634 on: March 08, 2021, 07:54:50 AM »
If you go into certain communities around here, you'll get the same results in terms of not getting vaccinated.

But please stick with your closed minded partisan dogma.

Also, since it's well known (and according to resident ProgFascists) that the military is now very Prog-Lib and hated Trump . . . many members of the military say they're not going to get vaccinated either, prompting calls for mandatory vaccinations.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14635 on: March 08, 2021, 07:56:54 AM »

Why?
I also can’t wait to stop wearing masks everywhere. It sucks. I do it, it’s the right thing to do, but it is a worse life experience than it otherwise would be.
:adios:

Offline memphis

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14636 on: March 08, 2021, 08:47:44 AM »
I also don't like wearing ties either tbh and glad I don't have to consistently, at least masks will fall out of expectations soon enough

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14637 on: March 08, 2021, 09:11:47 AM »

Why?
I also can’t wait to stop wearing masks everywhere. It sucks. I do it, it’s the right thing to do, but it is a worse life experience than it otherwise would be.

ding ding ding
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #14638 on: March 08, 2021, 09:17:23 AM »
Yeah, I'm fairly religious about mask usage, and it's second nature at this point.  But it is a minor inconvenience I'm very much looking forward to being done with.  If for no other reason than my glasses fog up.

Plus, it still feels slightly socially awkward trying to interact with people while wearing masks.  There are a lot of social cues that get lost behind the mask.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14639 on: March 08, 2021, 09:20:48 AM »

Why?

I'm genuinely curious, in what situations is it a worse life experience?

I also don't like wearing ties either tbh and glad I don't have to consistently, at least masks will fall out of expectations soon enough

that's a pretty good analogy. I think of it more like a jacket. Like, I don't mind wearing a jacket in cold weather and I would gladly wear a mask on airplanes or to the grocery store or concerts in rona/flu season if the alternative was not doing those things and it was part of preventing a lot of death.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14640 on: March 08, 2021, 09:22:14 AM »
Plus, it still feels slightly socially awkward trying to interact with people while wearing masks.  There are a lot of social cues that get lost behind the mask.

that's a pretty good reason. I still haven't interacted socially much other than like drinks outside when everyone has their masks off anyway.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14641 on: March 08, 2021, 09:24:03 AM »

Why?

that's a pretty good analogy. I think of it more like a jacket. Like, I don't mind wearing a jacket in cold weather and I would gladly wear a mask on airplanes or to the grocery store or concerts in rona/flu season if the alternative was not doing those things and it was part of preventing a lot of death.

That isn't what they are arguing. You are basically saying that you would gladly wear a mask even if there wasn't any death to be prevented by them.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14642 on: March 08, 2021, 09:24:48 AM »
an interesting thought experiment is what is the most sickness you would tolerate if it meant you wouldn't have to wear a mask to work every day in cold and flu season?

I think losing my voice would be one (which happened like every other year or so), the flu, or just like a day where I couldn't work because I was so sick might be enough.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #14643 on: March 08, 2021, 09:28:17 AM »
an interesting thought experiment is what is the most sickness you would tolerate if it meant you wouldn't have to wear a mask to work every day in cold and flu season?

I think losing my voice would be one (which happened like every other year or so), the flu, or just like a day where I couldn't work because I was so sick might be enough.
I would take a full on, barfing flu every year in exchange for not wearing a mask anywhere ever again.  Basically any "normal" illness.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14644 on: March 08, 2021, 09:31:56 AM »

Why?

You say you’re genuinely curious, but it feels like you’re being intentionally dense here, you’re too smart to not get this.

Uncomfortable to wear compared to not wearing, damp face from condensation, more difficult to hear other people, have set to read other people’s facial expressions, one more thing to remember to have with you all the time, putting it on and taking it off every time the waitress at the outdoor restaurant comes by to take an order or check on the table, feeling shamed into wearing it while walking the dog outside and not talking to anyone which is dumb because that’s a zero transmission scenario.

That is just from the mask itself, not the societal implications of “other people are dangerous, stay away” that the mask symbolizes.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14645 on: March 08, 2021, 09:33:29 AM »
I would be willing to wear a mask during cold season, but only if the common cold is proven to spread by airborne particles and enough other people were doing it to make any sort of difference. The flu isn't something that I come down with very often at all, and I get vaccinated for it annually, anyway. And the barfing stuff is almost always something food-borne. A lot of these diseases are spread by contact, and masks wouldn't really help with that.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14646 on: March 08, 2021, 09:36:30 AM »

I’m very comfortable with my current rate of taking an average of 1 or 2 PTO days a year for illness.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14647 on: March 08, 2021, 09:45:20 AM »
You say you’re genuinely curious, but it feels like you’re being intentionally dense here, you’re too smart to not get this.
No I think I just don't wear them all that much and genuinely don't see them as a burden. I wear it to the grocery store or to a restaurant outside maybe once a week or when I carpool my kids and their friends to things. Obviously people that don't live in the coastal elite bubbles are out and about a lot more and in indoor social situations that I haven't really experienced.

Uncomfortable to wear compared to not wearing, damp face from condensation, more difficult to hear other people, have set to read other people’s facial expressions, one more thing to remember to have with you all the time, putting it on and taking it off every time the waitress at the outdoor restaurant comes by to take an order or check on the table, feeling shamed into wearing it while walking the dog outside and not talking to anyone which is dumb because that’s a zero transmission scenario.

sounds like we need better designed masks!

I agree any form of outdoor shaming is dumb.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread
« Reply #14648 on: March 08, 2021, 09:50:02 AM »

I’m very comfortable with my current rate of taking an average of 1 or 2 PTO days a year for illness.
Yeah the risk benefit analysis seems pretty easy for a typical year. I’d be happy to fight off my typical “is it a cold or just allergies” 1-3 times a year for never worrying about masks.

However, during cold and flu season, I’d probably still mask up and social distance except where it didn’t make sense (like if I’m meeting people to eat or talk). Part of that is having a high risk kid at home, but also I just don’t like being sick if I can avoid it.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14649 on: March 08, 2021, 09:52:11 AM »
I might be more likely to take a sick day for something like a bad cold moving forward. At least for the next few years, anyway.