Author Topic: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread  (Read 1067325 times)

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
Re: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread
« Reply #13775 on: January 26, 2021, 08:32:55 AM »
25MM people have got it, how many do we need to reach herd immunity? I’m reading somewhere around 85% of population.   So 280 need to be immune to it 25 have been vaxxed, maybe 20 have got the actual virus and will have immunity so that leaves like 230 or so that need to get the shot. 2MM doses a day for 230MM people is 115 days.  If we started hitting 2MM tomorrow it would be end of May to reach our goal.

I've seen estimates of 100M have gotten the virus.  There are 25M confirmed.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #13776 on: January 26, 2021, 08:40:44 AM »
SD, how many times did you and the Meade Maulers beat up those Panzy's from Protection KS?

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/25/960354929/in-tiny-kansas-town-pandemic-skeptics-abound-amid-false-information-and-politics

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13777 on: January 26, 2021, 08:51:18 AM »
SD, how many times did you and the Meade Maulers beat up those Panzy's from Protection KS?

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/25/960354929/in-tiny-kansas-town-pandemic-skeptics-abound-amid-false-information-and-politics
Articles about all the ways Kansas gets mushed by COVID are becoming their own genre in the national press.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13778 on: January 26, 2021, 09:06:15 AM »
the tracking chip thing is just still so amazing....

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13779 on: January 26, 2021, 09:14:17 AM »
25MM people have got it, how many do we need to reach herd immunity? I’m reading somewhere around 85% of population.   So 280 need to be immune to it 25 have been vaxxed, maybe 20 have got the actual virus and will have immunity so that leaves like 230 or so that need to get the shot. 2MM doses a day for 230MM people is 115 days.  If we started hitting 2MM tomorrow it would be end of May to reach our goal.

Damn that changes the equation significantly
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13780 on: January 26, 2021, 09:19:20 AM »

Damn that changes the equation significantly

https://covid19-projections.com/infections/us

This has estimates on infections and reports the number vaccinated.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13781 on: January 26, 2021, 09:22:18 AM »
You can't just add vaccinations to the total of estimated infected. There will end up being a lot of overlap between the people who were infected but never tested and those who get the vaccine.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13782 on: January 26, 2021, 09:27:55 AM »
And a shitload of healthcare workers that got COVID are also getting vaxxed
:adios:

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13783 on: January 26, 2021, 09:52:18 AM »
You can't just add vaccinations to the total of estimated infected. There will end up being a lot of overlap between the people who were infected but never tested and those who get the vaccine.

If it’s an overlap of 50% that’s still 50MM people and speeds up the date of hers immunity a full month

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13784 on: January 26, 2021, 09:55:55 AM »

If it’s an overlap of 50% that’s still 50MM people and speeds up the date of hers immunity a full month

If 85% need vaccinated for herd immunity, I would expect the overlap to be about 85%.

Online Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13785 on: January 26, 2021, 10:01:34 AM »

If 85% need vaccinated for herd immunity, I would expect the overlap to be about 85%.

The overlap in terms of the number of vaccinated that have had COVID would be the percentage of the population that has had COVID.  So right now the overlap would be something like 25-35%.  I also think that the likelihood of getting a vaccine and having had COVID are negatively correlated, so the overlap percentage would be lower than the percentage of the population that has been infected.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13786 on: January 26, 2021, 10:14:18 AM »
I'm just gonna wait till the confirmed cases are low and not make any assumptions based on this math. Definitely won't be making plans based on herd immunity estimates

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13787 on: January 26, 2021, 10:15:38 AM »

The overlap in terms of the number of vaccinated that have had COVID would be the percentage of the population that has had COVID.  So right now the overlap would be something like 25-35%.  I also think that the likelihood of getting a vaccine and having had COVID are negatively correlated, so the overlap percentage would be lower than the percentage of the population that has been infected.

I was referring to the percentage of people who have had COVID and will also get the vaccine. I expect it to be about the same percentage as the total population that gets the vaccine. So if 100 million people have already had the virus and 85% of the total population gets the vaccine, I would expect about 85 million people to get vaccinated that have already had the virus. I have seen nothing telling people who have already had the virus to not get the vaccine, only to wait a few months before getting it. Also, if 100 million people have already had the virus, then about 75 million of them are unaware of that fact, so it would be completely irrelevant to whether or not they get vaccinated.

Online Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13788 on: January 26, 2021, 10:22:36 AM »

I was referring to the percentage of people who have had COVID and will also get the vaccine. I expect it to be about the same percentage as the total population that gets the vaccine. So if 100 million people have already had the virus and 85% of the total population gets the vaccine, I would expect about 85 million people to get vaccinated that have already had the virus. I have seen nothing telling people who have already had the virus to not get the vaccine, only to wait a few months before getting it. Also, if 100 million people have already had the virus, then about 75 million of them are unaware of that fact, so it would be completely irrelevant to whether or not they get vaccinated.

Ok.  We're just arguing two sides of the same coin.

Thinking that the overlap is a lower percentage doesn't have to do with one's knowledge of whether they have had COVID or not.  It has to do with the correlation of the likelihood of having contracted COVID with the likelihood of being willing to get a vaccine.  I think that people who have contracted COVID as a population will have a lower propensity (independent of the knowledge of their status) to be willing to get the vaccine.  Those that are unwilling to get the vaccine probably undertook more "risky" behaviors and were thus more likely to have COVID.

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13789 on: January 26, 2021, 10:41:57 AM »
This is very accurate... anti maskers = anti vaxers

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #13790 on: January 26, 2021, 11:13:39 AM »

Twice a year at minimum in basketball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13791 on: January 26, 2021, 03:25:31 PM »

we have a pretty convincing pattern indicating that there is pronounced seasonality to how this virus spreads, so i expect we'll be seeing the infection rate dwindle to a trickle by mid-spring or so with the combination of population immunity and seasonality.

should have all summer to vaccinate in prep for the coming winter.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13793 on: January 26, 2021, 03:46:04 PM »
so, I don't recall flu season easing as the weather gets colder and crappier...

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13794 on: January 26, 2021, 04:08:33 PM »
100MM Americans have already had covid? Yeah no I don't think that's accurate

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13795 on: January 26, 2021, 04:21:55 PM »
I saw a tweet earlier that Missouri has only jabbed half their doses and is also last in first jabbings
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13796 on: January 26, 2021, 04:27:29 PM »
100MM Americans have already had covid? Yeah no I don't think that's accurate

80 is the better estimate, but 100 is possible.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #13797 on: January 26, 2021, 04:47:00 PM »
Ya. Best estimate sits at 25%.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13798 on: January 26, 2021, 06:28:32 PM »
How long are these vaccines good for

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #13799 on: January 26, 2021, 06:30:46 PM »
Probably have to get chipped every year with the new variants like the normal flu
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f