Author Topic: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread  (Read 1069785 times)

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
Re: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread
« Reply #13825 on: January 27, 2021, 11:58:20 AM »
I haven't been able to sync myself to my phone or pay for things by just staring at the checkout device yet, but it hasn't quite been 72 hours.
:lol:

I'm picking up some pretty consistent 5G signals thru the wire on my mask now.

Speaking of which, I'm pretty ignorant about how radios work but I thought this case report was pretty interesting / funny. Doctors were using  a doppler probe to check pulses in this patient's foot and they heard a radio. Finally came to the conclusion that the patient's artificial hip was gathering radio signals somehow (looks like you need an NEJM account to see the video):

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMicm1911324

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13826 on: January 27, 2021, 12:06:08 PM »
Stitt wasn’t alone in his support of hydroxychloroquine as a treatment for the coronavirus. In August, Rep. Justin Humphrey, R-Lane, promoted hydroxychloroquine as a viable treatment after he had contracted COVID-19.

Though the drug had been widely discredited at that point, Humphrey, who has recently made news for seeking to establish a Bigfoot hunting season in Oklahoma and made waves in 2017 when he referred to pregnant women as “hosts,” encouraged Oklahomans to “take courage and begin treating COVID with Hydroxychloroquine.”

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13827 on: January 27, 2021, 12:30:44 PM »
Stitt wasn’t alone in his support of hydroxychloroquine as a treatment for the coronavirus. In August, Rep. Justin Humphrey, R-Lane, promoted hydroxychloroquine as a viable treatment after he had contracted COVID-19.

Though the drug had been widely discredited at that point, Humphrey, who has recently made news for seeking to establish a Bigfoot hunting season in Oklahoma and made waves in 2017 when he referred to pregnant women as “hosts,” encouraged Oklahomans to “take courage and begin treating COVID with Hydroxychloroquine.”
:love: :love:

I've always thought of southeastern OK as one vast malarial swamp. Might be good to keep some HCQ on hand.

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13828 on: January 27, 2021, 04:21:32 PM »
I've heard that the 'droxy is no good without zpacs though.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13829 on: January 27, 2021, 04:25:04 PM »

I've heard that the 'droxy is no good without zpacs though.

You would think noted Bigfoot hunter Stitt wouldn't ignore this pure scientific fact....he is about science.  and, hunting the yeti. 

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13830 on: January 27, 2021, 04:27:10 PM »
Noted Trump supporter and science genius who supports buying all the HCQ also knows that if you don't hunt the bigfoot, the bigfoot hunts you.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13832 on: January 27, 2021, 04:41:56 PM »
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #13833 on: January 27, 2021, 06:38:07 PM »
unreported covid stats correlating to no being able to acquire/deliver vaccines is not super interesting to me tbh

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13834 on: January 27, 2021, 06:41:38 PM »
i don't think asia and, to a lesser extent, africa's relative lack of coronavirus cases and deaths is principally a failure to report cases and deaths.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13836 on: January 27, 2021, 10:48:40 PM »
i don't think asia and, to a lesser extent, africa's relative lack of coronavirus cases and deaths is principally a failure to report cases and deaths.
Surely you have to imagine that there’s going to be a significant delta between reporting practices though, right?  Having enough testing in the US was a logistical nightmare.

Or are they developing countries just estimating their numbers off developed countries?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13837 on: January 27, 2021, 11:01:18 PM »
Surely you have to imagine that there’s going to be a significant delta between reporting practices though, right?  Having enough testing in the US was a logistical nightmare.

Or are they developing countries just estimating their numbers off developed countries?

Lots of Asia is very "developed", and they did a great job testing and/or managing the virus in general, depending on the country.

I haven't followed Africa as closely (which is sad), but I have heard that ebola has led to some countries being decently prepared plus warmer weather than much of the world helps as well.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13838 on: January 27, 2021, 11:20:26 PM »
Surely you have to imagine that there’s going to be a significant delta between reporting practices though, right?

yeah, i think there's a fair bit of variance in reporting by country.  but i don't think it is terribly correlated with continent and at least with deaths, we can get a decent idea of the discrepancy by comparing to excess deaths.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13840 on: January 28, 2021, 12:09:43 AM »
dogs can smell just about anything that floats around in the air.  i wouldn't assume it's a gimmick.

https://bmcinfectdis.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12879-020-05281-3

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13841 on: January 28, 2021, 03:08:44 AM »
uk, welcome to the six figger club.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13842 on: January 28, 2021, 06:13:18 AM »
Based on the goings on around the world, and from the proclamations coming from our iPOTUS.   

Sure feels like dealing with a Global Pandemic is difficult and I'm not exactly hearing a huge set of new ideas on how to deal with it beyond putting on a couple of more masks and waiting on getting chipped.

Meanwhile hyper-partisan governors are no longer using the decimation of their respective state economies as a political weapon and are starting to open back up.   Remember:  Lockdowns are far more a political weapon then they are a method for controlling pandemics such as what we're experiencing.    Until either immunity/vaccinations take hold, lockdowns only serve to delay the inevitable and protract pandemics and in cases of poor timing of lockdowns, amplify the pandemic. 

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13843 on: January 28, 2021, 07:54:41 AM »
Somehow it slipped my notice but Brazil joined us in the 200K club some time ago. We are set to lap them today - 440K to 220K

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13844 on: January 28, 2021, 08:45:04 AM »
Somehow it slipped my notice but Brazil joined us in the 200K club some time ago. We are set to lap them today - 440K to 220K

Baylor was on pace to do this last night but didn’t have what it took.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13845 on: January 28, 2021, 09:01:56 AM »

Baylor was on pace to do this last night but didn’t have what it took.
I think that seals the case that USA is better at COVID than Baylor is at basketball.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #13846 on: January 28, 2021, 11:40:59 AM »
dogs can smell just about anything that floats around in the air.  i wouldn't assume it's a gimmick.

Yeah, dog noses are wild. I bet they can sniff this stuff out. They can sniff cancer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13847 on: January 28, 2021, 01:32:25 PM »
Fauci reflects on working inside of Trumpworld:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2021/01/anthony-fauci-trump-biden-and-covid-19-crisis/617838/

What I did know is the people around him were furious with the fact that I was contradicting him publicly, and contradicting him from the podium in the White House, and even sometimes in the Oval Office. He’d be saying, “I think A, B, and C.” And I would say, “No, I disagree with you. I think it’s D, E, and F.” He would not get upset at all. But you knew there were five or six people standing behind me, who were his people, and they would be furious with me for doing that.

What was really the topper was when the White House sent out that list to everybody of the things that Dr. Fauci was wrong on, which was complete crap, because I wasn’t wrong on any of them! [Laughs.]
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 08:33:46 AM by Sandstone Outcropping »

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13848 on: January 28, 2021, 10:35:22 PM »
Fighting Global Pandemics with clear lifestyle and heterogeneity vectoring is hard.

Triple Mask UP . . . the iPOTUS Biden "plan".

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13849 on: January 28, 2021, 11:05:36 PM »

It's a gimmick because they're well aware that the science of this is extremely inconsistent.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/28/health/covid-19-miami-heat-dogs-explainer-wellness/index.html
The researchers reported in their study that among 1,012 samples, the dogs correctly identified 157 positive samples and 792 negative samples, but incorrectly identified 33 samples as negative and 30 samples as positive. The dogs "achieved an overall average detection rate of 94%," the researchers wrote.

In December, a separate research team from France and Lebanon published a proof-of-concept study in the journal PLOS ONE detailing how they trained six dogs to tell the difference between underarm sweat from someone who has Covid-19 and someone who doesn't. Some of the dogs had a success rate of 76%, while others had a 100% success rate in that study.

But those studies were conducted in controlled environments and there was some repeated use of samples -- so it couldn't be ruled out whether a dog was memorizing the odor of a sample. More research is needed to determine whether similar findings might emerge in the real world, and among a larger group of detection dogs.

If they really wanted this to work they would give rapid tests to the people the dogs sniff out, but even that won't help the bigger problem, the potential missed positives.