Author Topic: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread  (Read 1063976 times)

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
Re: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread
« Reply #12025 on: November 18, 2020, 02:41:33 PM »
Daxbro must be pretty miffed at the trump admin

All this red tape and cheap highly accurate at home tests not available. 

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12026 on: November 18, 2020, 02:44:12 PM »
the highest use of the vaccine (beyond medical personnel, etc) is to keep people from dying, and the people that are dying are the elderly.
What if I told you the highest use of the vaccine is to best ensure the future health of Americans?

Obviously it’s going to go to the olds first cause our entire healthcare system is geared towards helping people stay alive as long as possible, but if there are serious or compounding long term consequences for even mild infections (which is obviously unknown), then you could be setting yourself up for disaster by ignoring the population that will live with those consequences for 40-50+ years.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12027 on: November 18, 2020, 02:50:12 PM »
I think it was rusty that posted recently that a hinderance to getting this out might be more in making syringes and vials and storage and stuff vs. the actual chips.  If I had that right, the government needs to be spending on getting manufacturers of other products equipped to be able to make that stuff, and for underused storage facilities to be equipped or even turned into freezers to hold stuff.

Hard to think of a better investment of government money than in getting us all past this in like 3 months rather than 6-8.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12028 on: November 18, 2020, 02:52:21 PM »
I think it was rusty that posted recently that a hinderance to getting this out might be more in making syringes and vials and storage and stuff vs. the actual chips.  If I had that right, the government needs to be spending on getting manufacturers of other products equipped to be able to make that stuff, and for underused storage facilities to be equipped or even turned into freezers to hold stuff.

Hard to think of a better investment of government money than in getting us all past this in like 3 months rather than 6-8.

Maybe all these insulin shooters could give up one hit for the greater good?

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12029 on: November 18, 2020, 02:53:30 PM »
It would be nice if the government were doing something to get the vaccine to as many people as possible, but I think it's pretty safe to say that the government isn't even going to start coordinating with itself, let alone anyone else, until late January.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12030 on: November 18, 2020, 02:55:29 PM »
It would be nice if the government were doing something to get the vaccine to as many people as possible, but I think it's pretty safe to say that the government isn't even going to start coordinating with itself, let alone anyone else, until late January.

Shots in arm starts prediction = 12/20/2020

Me?  4/1/2021

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12031 on: November 18, 2020, 02:59:52 PM »
Sys is right

I thought the people disagreeing with him were just kidding. Not wanting the elderly and those with comprising heath issues to get the vaccine first is just as ghoulish as justwin's kill the weak for the greater good talking point that kicked this pandemic off.

Sys may be right about what the public is willing to accept, but you're not necessarily going to get the best bang for your buck by vaccinating the old and those with comorbidities first.  It is quite possible you'll get a better bang for your buck by vaccinating those most likely to be spreaders.  Also, if you vaccinate younger people first, you'll probably be able to open more businesses sooner.

The idea that having comorbidities, that are a result of your own lifestyle choices, gets you privileged access to the vaccine is not uncontroversial to everyone.

My talking point about weighing the economic impacts is not ghoulish, but is rational.  There are all kinds of people, including Peter Singer, that were discussing these kinds of issues.  Your attempt to shut down the debate by characterizing it that way is the ghoulish behavior.  It's quite possible that the economic consequences of shutting down were worth the benefits, but it doesn't just immediately follow that it is the case because some people may die.

A couple of things, most importantly is most comotbidities aren't a result of lifestyle choices.

The people that you want to vaccinate first, people most likely to be spreaders, is the segment of the population least likely to get the vaccine. Old people spend money too and are much more likely to get the vaccine.

You want to seemingly punish people with comorbidities and the elderly, but reward people with the greatest means to sit home for a couple of months while continuing to contribute to the economy.

You want the economy helped, let the government do that, not science. A stimulus will keep people going for two more quarters, a stimulus won't keep our most vulnerable citizens alive.

Never said all comorbidities were a result of lifestyle choices.

If your goal is saving as many lives as possible, it's not a slam dunk that vaccinating older people first is the way to go.  Do you have evidence that it is?  It's certainly possible, but it's also possible that's not the way to maximize lives saved.  If the evidence shows vaccinating younger people first would save more lives, then that should be the way we should proceed.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12032 on: November 18, 2020, 03:01:27 PM »

Shots in arm starts prediction = 12/20/2020

Me?  4/1/2021

I would be very surprised if I can get one of these things before at least June. Probably looking at September or October.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12033 on: November 18, 2020, 03:08:13 PM »
https://www.businessinsider.com/how-pfizer-coronavirus-vaccine-compares-other-vaccines-2020-11

If the goal is to stamp it out of existence, like measles for example, I am not sure boomer barney goes first.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12034 on: November 18, 2020, 03:11:45 PM »

And some of you people thought it was mean to root for trump to die back when he got it.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12035 on: November 18, 2020, 03:26:24 PM »

And some of you people thought it was mean to root for trump to die back when he got it.
History has proven you to be correct. Maybe the next death poll could take up the question of whether or not he will summon the MAGA volk to gather for superspreading Thanksgiving dinners.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12036 on: November 18, 2020, 04:01:37 PM »
Daxbro must be pretty miffed at the trump admin

All this red tape and cheap highly accurate at home tests not available.

The FDA:  Moving at lightning speed before Trump!!

We can also toss BidenVoter hero Tony "we need 8 years worth of quadruple blind studies" Fauci into the mix.

Then again, I am talking to a DramaQueen who thinks every German has an endless supply of rapid tests sitting on their dresser.

Why can't Abbot produce BILLIONS!!

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12039 on: November 18, 2020, 04:22:16 PM »
Sys is right

I thought the people disagreeing with him were just kidding. Not wanting the elderly and those with comprising heath issues to get the vaccine first is just as ghoulish as justwin's kill the weak for the greater good talking point that kicked this pandemic off.

Sys may be right about what the public is willing to accept, but you're not necessarily going to get the best bang for your buck by vaccinating the old and those with comorbidities first.  It is quite possible you'll get a better bang for your buck by vaccinating those most likely to be spreaders.  Also, if you vaccinate younger people first, you'll probably be able to open more businesses sooner.

The idea that having comorbidities, that are a result of your own lifestyle choices, gets you privileged access to the vaccine is not uncontroversial to everyone.

My talking point about weighing the economic impacts is not ghoulish, but is rational.  There are all kinds of people, including Peter Singer, that were discussing these kinds of issues.  Your attempt to shut down the debate by characterizing it that way is the ghoulish behavior.  It's quite possible that the economic consequences of shutting down were worth the benefits, but it doesn't just immediately follow that it is the case because some people may die.

A couple of things, most importantly is most comotbidities aren't a result of lifestyle choices.

The people that you want to vaccinate first, people most likely to be spreaders, is the segment of the population least likely to get the vaccine. Old people spend money too and are much more likely to get the vaccine.

You want to seemingly punish people with comorbidities and the elderly, but reward people with the greatest means to sit home for a couple of months while continuing to contribute to the economy.

You want the economy helped, let the government do that, not science. A stimulus will keep people going for two more quarters, a stimulus won't keep our most vulnerable citizens alive.

Never said all comorbidities were a result of lifestyle choices.

If your goal is saving as many lives as possible, it's not a slam dunk that vaccinating older people first is the way to go.  Do you have evidence that it is?  It's certainly possible, but it's also possible that's not the way to maximize lives saved.  If the evidence shows vaccinating younger people first would save more lives, then that should be the way we should proceed.

I don't know what exact evidence you're looking for. Isn't it obvious that vaccinating the groups of people who have the greatest percentage of deaths the best way to prevent more deaths?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12040 on: November 18, 2020, 04:24:47 PM »
I think we can all agree that Dolly gets one of the first chips

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12041 on: November 18, 2020, 04:27:25 PM »
I think we can all agree that Dolly gets one of the first chips
Actually Dolly would probably disagree because she'd want other folks to have it first

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12042 on: November 18, 2020, 07:28:28 PM »

I don't know what exact evidence you're looking for. Isn't it obvious that vaccinating the groups of people who have the greatest percentage of deaths the best way to prevent more deaths?

It's only obvious if you assume the likelihood of being infected and the number of people an infected person transmits the virus to are the same for all age groups (or that they are lower for younger age groups).  I would tend to think both the likelihood of being infected and the number of people an infected person transmits the virus to are higher for younger age groups.  This would allow for vaccinating younger people first to save more lives.  It just depends on the relative size of the infection and transmission rates compared to the mortality rates.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12043 on: November 18, 2020, 09:13:56 PM »
yeah, that's what I'm saying. front line medical, essential workers, then the people who are going to spread it around the absolute most. and I'm assuming that's youngest most to oldest least. if olds are going to be super spreaders I'd listen to that argument but if they've survived to this point I'm guessing they are the opposite of spreaders and we can do a lot more damage against this thing by getting to the people that are.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12044 on: November 18, 2020, 09:15:41 PM »
I'd start with a national rollout in schools and universities then move up from there. after medical and whatever is deemed to be essential jobs.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12045 on: November 18, 2020, 09:20:36 PM »
I'd start with a national rollout in schools and universities then move up from there. after medical and whatever is deemed to be essential jobs.

High school?  I could see parents not being good adopters of having their kids shot up with a new vaccine when they "are low risk".  More for me I guess.

Literally bottom of any list :(

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12046 on: November 18, 2020, 09:21:05 PM »
like, if I'm going to get this thing there is a 90%+ chance it is from one of my kids bringing it home to me. I don't expose myself to crap otherwise. If my kids are chip'ed. I'm basically chip'ed for as long as it takes to get me irl chip'ed.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12047 on: November 18, 2020, 09:29:32 PM »
Let the NBA deal with this as a side project to running a basketball league and we'll all be chip'd by the end of January.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12048 on: November 18, 2020, 09:34:03 PM »
like, if I'm going to get this thing there is a 90%+ chance it is from one of my kids bringing it home to me. I don't expose myself to crap otherwise. If my kids are chip'ed. I'm basically chip'ed for as long as it takes to get me irl chip'ed.

Us non-kid people warned you all.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile