Author Topic: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread  (Read 1067654 times)

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread
« Reply #10677 on: October 14, 2020, 02:48:43 PM »
I would have thought the metric based approach would quell the too soon fears but I guess not. Then again it's not like those numbers are meaningful unless they are given context.

I mean the context is our county is doing better than most of the country by a fairly wide margin. Only Maine and Vermont have lower case rates (as a state). You'd think that would be enough but there is frankly an irrational fear among a lot of people.

Keep in mind this same facebook group had a lengthy thread upset at seeing maskless people at the beach.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10678 on: October 14, 2020, 03:02:05 PM »
I would have thought the metric based approach would quell the too soon fears but I guess not. Then again it's not like those numbers are meaningful unless they are given context.

I mean the context is our county is doing better than most of the country by a fairly wide margin. Only Maine and Vermont have lower case rates (as a state). You'd think that would be enough but there is frankly an irrational fear among a lot of people.

Keep in mind this same facebook group had a lengthy thread upset at seeing maskless people at the beach.

so most are comfortable with this level of restriction until a vaccine is widely distributed?  Any easing tends to shoot number pretty quickly.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10679 on: October 14, 2020, 03:13:17 PM »

so most are comfortable with this level of restriction until a vaccine is widely distributed?  Any easing tends to shoot number pretty quickly.

I don't know if most are comfortable but there are a lot of folks very vocal about waiting on a vaccine. And like right now, you can eat outside, get a haircut, go to a gym, etc. Most bars can sell for outside consumption and there are great new outdoor spaces everywhere. I miss live music and sports but I'm fine with just adding schools TBH.

And studies seem to show that opening schools don't really impact infection rates. I think you could gradually open schools and see what happens.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10681 on: October 14, 2020, 03:55:46 PM »

I don't know if most are comfortable but there are a lot of folks very vocal about waiting on a vaccine. And like right now, you can eat outside, get a haircut, go to a gym, etc. Most bars can sell for outside consumption and there are great new outdoor spaces everywhere. I miss live music and sports but I'm fine with just adding schools TBH.

And studies seem to show that opening schools don't really impact infection rates. I think you could gradually open schools and see what happens.

That's good and I agree our current "restrictions" are manageable.  It's quite a different situation for those businesses who can't continue to use outdoor spaces only in the very near future. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10682 on: October 14, 2020, 04:10:27 PM »

That's good and I agree our current "restrictions" are manageable.  It's quite a different situation for those businesses who can't continue to use outdoor spaces only in the very near future. 

definitely, but that's less of a concern here. It gets colder but you can still do a lot outside all winter as long as it isn't raining. (also California's "restrictions" are much different from KC's)

In a perfect world we'd open schools and give money to businesses forced to close or reduce capacity nationwide.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10684 on: October 14, 2020, 04:19:25 PM »

definitely, but that's less of a concern here. It gets colder but you can still do a lot outside all winter as long as it isn't raining. (also California's "restrictions" are much different from KC's)

In a perfect world we'd open schools and give money to businesses forced to close or reduce capacity nationwide.
yes

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10685 on: October 14, 2020, 04:54:01 PM »
Man Saban got the Covid, it’s scary out there.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10687 on: October 14, 2020, 05:15:13 PM »
New England will be interesting since they're already seeing small upticks as well but will probably have more restrictions

my impression is that the northeast has more radiant heaters and fewer homes heated with forced air.  i'd be interested to see data on that to see if it's significantly different from other parts of the country.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10688 on: October 14, 2020, 05:29:45 PM »
New England will be interesting since they're already seeing small upticks as well but will probably have more restrictions

my impression is that the northeast has more radiant heaters and fewer homes heated with forced air.  i'd be interested to see data on that to see if it's significantly different from other parts of the country.

In an old job I dealt with a lot of quality issues caused by dry interiors in the New England. Could have been population based, but there would be more issues there than anywhere else. I know homes in the Northeast seems to have a lot more oil heat, but I don't know if that makes a difference either.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10689 on: October 14, 2020, 05:59:35 PM »
dry interiors in the New England.

interesting.  that's the opposite of what i would have guessed.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10690 on: October 14, 2020, 06:02:47 PM »
My north central Kansas relatives are pretty heavy in the "COVID is not a big deal" group and now I have an aunt who has it (in her mid 60's).  I'm curious if it will change their thinking on it and get them to start taking masks and social distancing seriously.  About a couple months ago my cousin's wife posted on FB "faith over fear" and her mom posted "masks are bondage" in regards to Gov. Kelly's mask mandate.  I hope my aunt gets over it fast, but also hope it is a huge wakeup call for my hayseed relatives.

I also have a neighbor who has a mother that just passed away from COVID.  Her mother lived in Emporia and though I didn't know her was young enough to travel to and from KC to visit family.  So it's not like she was super old in a nursing home.

:frown: 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10691 on: October 14, 2020, 06:14:39 PM »
My north central Kansas relatives are pretty heavy in the "COVID is not a big deal" group and now I have an aunt who has it (in her mid 60's).  I'm curious if it will change their thinking on it and get them to start taking masks and social distancing seriously.

my wife, who has had relatives and more distant contacts die and others with fairly severe illness, every couple of weeks comes out with "i think it's over now".  when i ask why she thinks so, she always relays that someone or other is having a party or traveling.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #10694 on: October 14, 2020, 10:41:46 PM »
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #10695 on: October 14, 2020, 10:47:19 PM »
I bought it for like $12 lol

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #10697 on: October 15, 2020, 09:22:10 AM »
dry interiors in the New England.

interesting.  that's the opposite of what i would have guessed.
Old houses leak. Natural air turnover dries them quickly in the winter. It's amplified with multi story homes - stack effect.

https://www.hendersonengineers.com/insight_article/stack-effect-why-it-was-so-difficult-to-stay-warm-this-winter/#:~:text=Stack%20(or%20chimney)%20effect%20occurs,openings%20in%20the%20upper%20floors.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #10698 on: October 15, 2020, 09:28:10 AM »
Was hopeful of a burnout this fall for COVID-19. Then, I learned there were 60 million infections for the relatively uneventful Swine flu pandemic. Gonna be a while before we hit that number with COVID-19

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10699 on: October 15, 2020, 09:50:45 AM »
Was hopeful of a burnout this fall for COVID-19. Then, I learned there were 60 million infections for the relatively uneventful Swine flu pandemic. Gonna be a while before we hit that number with COVID-19

Hundreds of thousands of hospitalizations for the Swine Flu as well, 4 months before they had enough test kits to test 1 million people, PPE shortages, hospitals overwhelmed across the country. . . no total meltdown. 

Results:  A two page marketing cut sheet