Author Topic: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread  (Read 1070125 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread
« Reply #10700 on: October 15, 2020, 10:00:44 AM »
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1316419781436887040

I don't know that masks while working out would have stopped it but good grief

Spinco, the company that operates the studio, has locations across Canada and asks participants in its classes to observe a rigorous set of safety procedures on its website, including wearing masks whenever not actively working out.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10701 on: October 15, 2020, 10:09:06 AM »
That's a CoronaBro triggering event right there

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #10702 on: October 15, 2020, 10:42:27 AM »
My glasses fog walking around the grocery if I'm not continually repinching the metal nose piece. Can't imagine they're doing much good in a spin class.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10703 on: October 15, 2020, 10:45:35 AM »
My glasses fog walking around the grocery if I'm not continually repinching the metal nose piece. Can't imagine they're doing much good in a spin class.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

I'm sure they help some, but it's mind-boggling that the policy is to wear them up to the point of actually exercising.

Side note I was surprised at how compliant people were at my gym with wearing masks while exercising. Folks would step outside to take off the mask and breathe heavy, but for the most part people were wearing them indoors through the entire class.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10704 on: October 15, 2020, 11:59:33 AM »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10705 on: October 15, 2020, 02:42:56 PM »
Good opinions. It's useful to separate the term "lockdown" to specific activities such as indoor dining and schools and gatherings of various sizes.

https://twitter.com/tylercowen/status/1316809438523781122

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10706 on: October 15, 2020, 05:10:57 PM »
I'm sure those doctors will take the Bloomberg opinion writers words under advisement.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10707 on: October 15, 2020, 05:20:34 PM »
Europeans give even less effs than Americans do about this virus

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10708 on: October 15, 2020, 05:32:23 PM »
Their leaders seme to want to lock them down a lot more than our leaders though.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10709 on: October 15, 2020, 06:36:56 PM »
Their leaders seme to want to lock them down a lot more than our leaders though.

varies by country.

Netherlands is closing all bars and restaurants but keeping schools open, which seems pretty serious

Last week Belgium made bars close at 11pm instead of 1am which is a rough ridin' joke but they might have more because they are getting rocked.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10710 on: October 15, 2020, 07:14:03 PM »
peru's official deaths make it the only sizeable country in the world to lose more than 1 person out of every thousand.  but this excess death number is 2.5x their official numbers.  crazy.

https://twitter.com/Birdyword/status/1316737666054909952
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10711 on: October 15, 2020, 07:55:01 PM »

varies by country.

Netherlands is closing all bars and restaurants but keeping schools open, which seems pretty serious

Last week Belgium made bars close at 11pm instead of 1am which is a rough ridin' joke but they might have more because they are getting rocked.
Other than sweden who is more lax than the US over there?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10712 on: October 15, 2020, 08:48:11 PM »

varies by country.

Well the US is far from uniform but pretty much every country in Europe had indoor bars, restaurants, and schools open the last couple months. Which is definitely more lax than a lot of the country. Obviously that's changing pretty quickly since things aren't going so hot.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10713 on: October 15, 2020, 09:20:16 PM »
World throwing everything at this and the best we have a year later is uhhh close the bars I guess.

Smart people get it together.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10714 on: October 15, 2020, 09:21:50 PM »

varies by country.

Well the US is far from uniform but pretty much every country in Europe had indoor bars, restaurants, and schools open the last couple months. Which is definitely more lax than a lot of the country. Obviously that's changing pretty quickly since things aren't going so hot.

Yes, from one article I’ve read they’re being pretty cavalier in some parts, similar to the American south.  Could be bullshit bc the article itself was a hit job on America.

I’ll just summarize, it was a Dutch doctor who was practicing in America and recently moved back to the Netherlands and said basically no one was wearing masks there.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10715 on: October 15, 2020, 09:30:15 PM »
Yeah Netherlands only just made masks mandatory this week and bars and restaurants had no restrictions other than giving contact tracing forms to customers

https://www.eturbonews.com/992478/netherlands-closes-bars-and-restaurants-makes-masks-mandatory-as-covid-19-cases-spike/

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10716 on: October 15, 2020, 09:31:40 PM »
Pretty much the entire Bay Area has been kicking ass but I think they're going to allow indoor dining and church with reduced capacity next week in the east bay. I think it might start this weekend in SF. I'm not crazy about that before opening schools but whatever

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10717 on: October 15, 2020, 09:35:30 PM »
Pretty much the entire Bay Area has been kicking ass but I think they're going to allow indoor dining and church with reduced capacity next week in the east bay. I think it might start this weekend in SF. I'm not crazy about that before opening schools but whatever
Join the rest of us. It's going to happen, just delaying the inevitable. It was never supposed to be the complete solution, people were supposed to brain out an idea by now.

Btw anybody know why africa is so low? Is it spreading there just no data telling us?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10718 on: October 15, 2020, 10:12:36 PM »
Join the rest of us. It's going to happen, just delaying the inevitable. It was never supposed to be the complete solution, people were supposed to brain out an idea by now.

what's going to happen that's inevitable?

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10719 on: October 15, 2020, 10:14:58 PM »

spread.  There is no "kicking ass" through this whole thing.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10720 on: October 15, 2020, 10:17:40 PM »
There is waiting until next summer though
:adios:

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10721 on: October 15, 2020, 10:21:06 PM »
Winter is coming and vaccines are stalled out, should be fun.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10722 on: October 15, 2020, 10:25:16 PM »

yeah like 8man alluded to you can absolutely keep restricting indoor gatherings until the spring/summer, which is how we got things as under control as they are. California's criteria for what reopens are pretty strict and most counties are even more conservative. Like, it's a lot easier to control spread when there's hardly any cases and the positive test rate is under 2%. I also don't think we'll see a ton of people dining indoors even when they open up around here.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10723 on: October 15, 2020, 10:31:30 PM »

yeah like 8man alluded to you can absolutely keep restricting indoor gatherings until the spring/summer, which is how we got things as under control as they are. California's criteria for what reopens are pretty strict and most counties are even more conservative. Like, it's a lot easier to control spread when there's hardly any cases and the positive test rate is under 2%. I also don't think we'll see a ton of people dining indoors even when they open up around here.
Hope you are right and it happens. I just don't put as much faith in restricting indoor dining as the magic bullet.  Every study seems to say it's happening in houses and private gatherings.

Really just frustrated at the lack of progress in figuring this whole thing out and getting treatments out.  I expected much more by October.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread
« Reply #10724 on: October 15, 2020, 10:34:40 PM »
I think you’re both basically saying the same thing. We can probably all agree that more restrictions will mean less positive cases, and that as those restrictions are lifted you’ll see more positive cases.

Without a more structural measure like contact tracing, I don’t see how reopening (even gradually) would do anything other than increase cases.