Author Topic: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread  (Read 1068187 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Corona Bro/Corona Meltdown/Corona Model Guessers
« Reply #8275 on: July 08, 2020, 11:27:27 AM »
Positive rates leveling off in AZ and FL.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8276 on: July 08, 2020, 12:12:21 PM »
It was mostly about reopening schools. It was that schools must fully open 5-days a week. I can't touch on the finer details and few were provided. It sounded insane. Then again, efforts to reopen have backfired in every instance so this isn't a surprise. Throw in the fact that this is coming from Trump and DeVos.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8277 on: July 08, 2020, 01:17:38 PM »
I don't think efforts to reopen have backfired.  I am going to be a clay travis on this but the deaths are coming down.  I honestly think things will look quite different in a month (for the better)

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8278 on: July 08, 2020, 01:32:03 PM »
I don't think efforts to reopen have backfired.  I am going to be a clay travis on this but the deaths are coming down.  I honestly think things will look quite different in a month (for the better)

The 7 day average is now flat :(

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/national/coronavirus-us-cases-deaths/?itid=hp_hp-top-table-main_web-gfx-death-tracker%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8279 on: July 08, 2020, 02:05:44 PM »
I am assuming there is a reason that the 6th and 7th of july are 700 deaths apart (which swung the curve up enough to flatten it).  Each weekly peak - looks like on wednesday/thursday of each week - is lower.    Each weekly low, is lower. 

Again, this thing is bad, evil, awful.  Wear masks, sanitize, stay home if you can, stay away from other people and use every precaution you can.

But, at what point is a a weekly high of 600 a reason to shut it down?  All of those 600 had families, will be missed and I would probably have a different opinion if I knew and loved them but...

I am just saying while the cases are going up, the deaths are going down and the numbers seem pretty clear on that.  And I know the shutdown is partly (or even mostly) credited with that but we are at a level now where it is time to go. 

RIP my mentions

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #8280 on: July 08, 2020, 02:12:12 PM »
 :clap:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #8281 on: July 08, 2020, 02:15:17 PM »
I am assuming there is a reason that the 6th and 7th of july are 700 deaths apart (which swung the curve up enough to flatten it).  Each weekly peak - looks like on wednesday/thursday of each week - is lower.    Each weekly low, is lower. 

Again, this thing is bad, evil, awful.  Wear masks, sanitize, stay home if you can, stay away from other people and use every precaution you can.

But, at what point is a a weekly high of 600 a reason to shut it down?  All of those 600 had families, will be missed and I would probably have a different opinion if I knew and loved them but...

I am just saying while the cases are going up, the deaths are going down and the numbers seem pretty clear on that.  And I know the shutdown is partly (or even mostly) credited with that but we are at a level now where it is time to go. 

RIP my mentions
I've been on this train for a while but the train might be slowing down.  I think deaths may start to increase this week.  Come saturday we can compare the 7 day average to last week.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8282 on: July 08, 2020, 02:18:19 PM »
Over/under on 200k US deaths by 2021? I have a standing bet on this with a non gE bud. Sadly, I took the over. Rooting for myself to lose.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8283 on: July 08, 2020, 02:23:26 PM »
Over/under on 200k US deaths by 2021? I have a standing bet on this with a non gE bud. Sadly, I took the over. Rooting for myself to lose.

If Trump's poll numbers improve, enjoy your money, nic.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8284 on: July 08, 2020, 02:28:02 PM »
I've been on this train for a while but the train might be slowing down.  I think deaths may start to increase this week.

i'd bet on it if there was somewhere to bet on covid mortality trends.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8285 on: July 08, 2020, 02:28:23 PM »

RIP my mentions
I've been on this train for a while but the train might be slowing down.  I think deaths may start to increase this week.  Come saturday we can compare the 7 day average to last week.

I think there will be an uptick. 

It won't be dramatic and the highs of mid april will never occur in the country again.  We reopened, we knew we'd take our lumps and they are tragic.  If we could get the dip eff president to tell his even dipfuckier followers to mask up we'd make this thing our bitch much sooner.

But trump is as stupid as a flat tire and your average maga isn't even that smart

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8286 on: July 08, 2020, 02:37:09 PM »
This also reminds me last week of the discussion of reported cases vs. probable actual cases using the % positive test rate as a variable.  While cases look higher now than April and hence you'd think deaths are coming along soon as a lagging indicator, our true case count probably isn't higher (even though it's trending up) and would support some uptick in deaths (but not to our April levels)

It's in this thread
good thread illustrating why comparing new cases numbers to new cases a week or two ago is useful but comparing them to cases a month or two ago isn't.

https://twitter.com/nataliexdean/status/1278868210385915904

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8287 on: July 08, 2020, 02:39:36 PM »
we definitely haven't fully reopened by any definition

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #8288 on: July 08, 2020, 02:45:48 PM »

RIP my mentions

It won't be dramatic and the highs of mid april will never occur in the country again.  We reopened, we knew we'd take our lumps and they are tragic.  If we could get the dip eff president to tell his even dipfuckier followers to mask up we'd make this thing our bitch much sooner.

But trump is as stupid as a flat tire and your average maga isn't even that smart
I agree with all of this.  For context, daily deaths would need to almost quadruple to get back to April levels. 

It seems masking is more or less ubiquitous now -- at least around KC.  I assume for most of the country as well, especially in hotpot places.  I wonder when the data/positive% data will start reflecting that.  Arizona's positive % is starting to get out of control.  Florida's may be leveling out.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8289 on: July 08, 2020, 02:57:26 PM »

RIP my mentions

I agree with all of this.  For context, daily deaths would need to almost quadruple to get back to April levels. 

It seems masking is more or less ubiquitous now -- at least around KC.  I assume for most of the country as well, especially in hotpot places.  I wonder when the data/positive% data will start reflecting that.  Arizona's positive % is starting to get out of control.  Florida's may be leveling out.

Isn't every answer 2 weeks on any COVID19 timeframe?

I wonder too.  I'd think it should be quick given the claims that masking has reduced spread 40% other places. 

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8290 on: July 08, 2020, 03:01:51 PM »
Found this to be a good weekly data source for KC area (MO side only)

https://www.mhanet.com/mhaimages/COVID-19/dash/KC_COVID19_RegionalDashboard.pdf

Postive Test % - 4.7%  :Woot:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #8291 on: July 08, 2020, 03:02:01 PM »
Do you guys remember going to movies? Man, those were the days!

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #8292 on: July 08, 2020, 03:06:40 PM »
Found this to be a good weekly data source for KC area (MO side only)

https://www.mhanet.com/mhaimages/COVID-19/dash/KC_COVID19_RegionalDashboard.pdf

Postive Test % - 4.7%  :Woot:
That's a pretty nice tool.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8293 on: July 08, 2020, 03:07:06 PM »
I'm totally over movie theaters, I hope home release still continues.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8294 on: July 08, 2020, 03:10:56 PM »
Hospitalizations are starting to level in hotspot DFW. Still high, but seems like a precursor that any rise in deaths won’t go much longer than a couple weeks.

Masks definitely help, but my guess is the most damage has been done by opening bars and gyms + COVID temporarily just falling out of the news cycle.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8295 on: July 08, 2020, 03:13:33 PM »

You think the resurgence of cases was unavoidable? Like, it would have happened this dramatically even if states followed the guidelines laid out by the CDC? I'm not against reopening. I'm just saying it was rushed. That's why we're seeing hot spots and why we won't have sports this year.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8296 on: July 08, 2020, 03:23:46 PM »

You think the resurgence of cases was unavoidable? Like, it would have happened this dramatically even if states followed the guidelines laid out by the CDC? I'm not against reopening. I'm just saying it was rushed. That's why we're seeing hot spots and why we won't have sports this year.

I agree they were unaviodable.  Move phased reopening to September and you would have seen the same things playing out (assuming we didn't get smarter and say wear masks sooner into reopening) as you would still have enough virus out there to fire back up when people got together.  Thinking longer term, having a resurgance now may save us more come fall/winter flu time.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8297 on: July 08, 2020, 03:26:45 PM »
Hospitalizations are starting to level in hotspot DFW. Still high, but seems like a precursor that any rise in deaths won’t go much longer than a couple weeks.

Masks definitely help, but my guess is the most damage has been done by opening bars and gyms + COVID temporarily just falling out of the news cycle.

Man it would be nice to have some more insight into where contract tracers are figuring out where people got it. 

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8298 on: July 08, 2020, 03:30:45 PM »

I agree they were unaviodable.  Move phased reopening to September and you would have seen the same things playing out (assuming we didn't get smarter and say wear masks sooner into reopening) as you would still have enough virus out there to fire back up when people got together.  Thinking longer term, having a resurgance now may save us more come fall/winter flu time.

It blows my mind that we squandered the time spent in lock down.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8299 on: July 08, 2020, 03:34:41 PM »

It blows my mind that we squandered the time spent in lock down.

We did get a better testing infrastructure in place, hospitals ready, PPE more ready, etc.  Not sure could expect much more could we?  It's not like we were going to burn it out to zero although that was my initial hope during lockdown.