Author Topic: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread  (Read 1069775 times)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Is the suggestion that mandatory quarantining something we should have been doing? Don't you need to be able to test before you can quarantine the sick? Haven't we had major issues with testing?
You don't need testing, you only need symptoms. Testing helps but I think it's pretty ridiculous to think you'll catch and stop asymptomatic cases from spreading the virus through testing rather than quarantining close contacts of symptomatic cases.

In that case, we'd be relying on symptomatic people voluntarily coming forward? People will volunteer to be manatorily quarantined but will not volunteer to self quarantine?

Sorry to be one of those people asking questions without reading, but that was an ugly looking twitter thread.
You don't just rely on symptomatic people coming out, you would also probably screen for them at airports, large stores, etc. Again, that's what countries like China did. We would never go this extreme, but folks there (in some regions at least) actually had to have their temperature taken every time they entered or left their apartment building.

Seems crazy but rough ridin' Harvard economists are suggesting a complex network if antibody cards used as a requirement for employment which is far more invasive than getting your temperature taken at the grocery store IMO

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
Is the suggestion that mandatory quarantining something we should have been doing? Don't you need to be able to test before you can quarantine the sick? Haven't we had major issues with testing?
You don't need testing, you only need symptoms. Testing helps but I think it's pretty ridiculous to think you'll catch and stop asymptomatic cases from spreading the virus through testing rather than quarantining close contacts of symptomatic cases.

In that case, we'd be relying on symptomatic people voluntarily coming forward? People will volunteer to be manatorily quarantined but will not volunteer to self quarantine?

Sorry to be one of those people asking questions without reading, but that was an ugly looking twitter thread.

Yeah seems to me in the US we'd have more success with people staying home isolating (let's figure out a better way to support them financially) vs coming forward knowing they are going to stay in an empty hotel room for 2 weeks being monitored.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Would Americans tolerate mandatory centralized quarantine?

https://twitter.com/benbenchia/status/1248454784056619008

good thread.  we can learn from others or we can bumble around like idiots.

Jfc

We’ve known this since late February-early March!

I’m embarrassed by what’s become of our country. But at least they’ve convinced the idiots to wear masks so it’s easier to spot who’s not a rough ridin' moron.

I just want to be clear here.   You're anti-mask?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
https://twitter.com/MikeIsaac/status/1238604080571772928?s=19

good to rewatch this. Again this is a March and a half ago and we're only now starting to hear chatter about quarantining people with fevers.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

good to rewatch this. Again this is a March and a half ago and we're only now starting to hear chatter about quarantining people with fevers.

I think you’re being a little ridiculous, I’ve certainly heard talk about anyone who feels sick quarantining since the very beginning of this whole thing from just about every level (employer, media, twitter etc).

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I think you’re being a little ridiculous, I’ve certainly heard talk about anyone who feels sick quarantining since the very beginning of this whole thing from just about every level (employer, media, twitter etc).

The key appears to be centralized quarantining away from your family, not just staying home. That's what I meant and I should have clarified. I haven't heard that widely discussed, certainly not from folks in positions to make it happen.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile

Jfc

I’m embarrassed by what’s become of our country. But at least they’ve convinced the idiots to wear masks so it’s easier to spot who’s not a rough ridin' moron.

No, I'm not anti-mask... If someone really thinks it will help them, then they are more than welcome to wear one.  I just won't be wearing one.

They are also free to wear a bicycle helmet everywhere they go in case they bump their head or hell, might as well just wear a condom all day incase they fall into some dirty pussy.

:fatty:
bears are fast...

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
Chatting with an ER doc in KC about the phased reopening has me pretty bummed.  Still not enough testing or quick enough testing that he has access to make him comfortable we can contain future infections.  "Flying blind".  Still only testing those who need admitted, healthcare workers, and old people. That's it.  Not confident at all our testing will ramp up by middle of May. 

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile

Jfc

No, I'm not anti-mask... If someone really thinks it will help them, then they are more than welcome to wear one.  I just won't be wearing one.

They are also free to wear a bicycle helmet everywhere they go in case they bump their head or hell, might as well just wear a condom all day incase they fall into some dirty pussy.

Are cloth masks now thought of as ppe? I thought they were to keep yourself from getting other people sick.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile

Jfc

Are cloth masks now thought of as ppe? I thought they were to keep yourself from getting other people sick.

that hasn't changed.  QQ just trying to monkey up the discussion.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
He's just letting you know how super tough he is.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
bookie has a mental illness and I hope he's at least getting therapy

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Jfc

That's just rough ridin' dumb, and you know it.

If people want to get out of quarantine and not get put back into quarantine, then wear a rough ridin' mask.   It's a high percentage Asymptomatic CARRIER NOVEL SARS VIRUS! FFS

Some countries haven't had near the problem . . . and not necessarily because of great contact tracing, but because . . . wait for it, EVERYONE WEARS A rough ridin' MASK when they're in public.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Nope. Like I said, feel free to mask up. I won’t be participating in that charade.

Meanwhile, back on topic...

https://twitter.com/patrickruffini/status/1255875378251530244
bears are fast...

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

The key appears to be centralized quarantining away from your family, not just staying home. That's what I meant and I should have clarified. I haven't heard that widely discussed, certainly not from folks in positions to make it happen.

Folks in position to make it happen can't actually make it happen in this country. For this to be any more effective than "stay home if you're sick." You have to have full participation, that has to be government mandated. There isn't a level of our government that can or will mandate putting people with a mild symptoms that could be anything, in minimum security jail.

I have a few actual situations for you to consider how CQ would handle them.

1. My 1 year old has had a mild fever since the outbreak began. Does he go into CQ because we don't know the low grade fever is related to teething or is having a mild COVID-19 symptom? Does he go back every time he cuts a tooth?

2. I've had a dry cough during cold weather months for approximately 20 years. Do I go into CQ when I cough? Do I stay the entirety of period I have the cough?

I think these hotels are much better served as voluntary quarantine sites for first responders with families at home and the homeless with mild symptoms.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I stopped responding to bookie because I think he's bored and is playing a character. Are y'all convinced he really thinks these things? Truly sad if he's being sincere.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Nope. Like I said, feel free to mask up. I won’t be participating in that charade.

The took our jabs!

Martha, ain't no got damn way I'm wearin no got damn mask!

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
seeing dax call bqqkie a total moron is not something I anticipated.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
 :bwpopcorn:

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I’m pretty sure all the major Texas metros acted earlier in the spread relative to California.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Folks in position to make it happen can't actually make it happen in this country. For this to be any more effective than "stay home if you're sick." You have to have full participation, that has to be government mandated. There isn't a level of our government that can or will mandate putting people with a mild symptoms that could be anything, in minimum security jail.

1. My 1 year old has had a mild fever since the outbreak began. Does he go into CQ because we don't know the low grade fever is related to teething or is having a mild COVID-19 symptom? Does he go back every time he cuts a tooth?

2. I've had a dry cough during cold weather months for approximately 20 years. Do I go into CQ when I cough? Do I stay the entirety of period I have the cough?

I think these hotels are much better served as voluntary quarantine sites for first responders with families at home and the homeless with mild symptoms.

Well I think it should be discussed. I think it's dumb that is wouldn't be considered by a public that so badly wants to get back to their office parks, when this seems to be the most effective way to do that (and loosen restrictions overall) but whatever. Maybe a governor starts with a large scale optional program to work out the kinks and show that two weeks in a hotel room isn't a terrifying proposition.

As to your scenarios:

1) I don't know how infants would be handled. Probably differently but I don't know how much they react to covid
2) no and no

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I’m pretty sure all the major Texas metros acted earlier in the spread relative to California.
Yeah Texas sounds more strict than California. It's honestly pretty loose here

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I stopped responding to bookie because I think he's bored and is playing a character. Are y'all convinced he really thinks these things? Truly sad if he's being sincere.

:peek:
bears are fast...

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Well I think it should be discussed. I think it's dumb that is wouldn't be considered by a public that so badly wants to get back to their office parks, when this seems to be the most effective way to do that (and loosen restrictions overall) but whatever. Maybe a governor starts with a large scale optional program to work out the kinks and show that two weeks in a hotel room isn't a terrifying proposition.

As to your scenarios:

1) I don't know how infants would be handled. Probably differently but I don't know how much they react to covid
2) no and no

But if we don't have proper testing capacity wouldn't I be violating the spirit of CQ by assuming my cough is related to allergies or chronic bronchitis and not coronavirus related?

Also we, as in everyone in the thread discussing it, are having two different conversations. I don't think there's any argument against the effectiveness of CQ in the countries that have employed it. The argument is how effective it would be here with our unique challenges of federalism, lack of testing, and a lack of law enforcement to force people into CQ. Even if let's say the governor of Rhode Island decides to try CQ, that governor then has to rely on every law enforcement agency in that state to put people into CQ instead of going to Home Depot 12 hours after they have recovered from extreme fatigue. Do we really want the national guard dragging people to a Super 8 in Pawtucket?