Author Topic: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread  (Read 1070347 times)

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
Staggering to think it would take almost two years to test everyone in the US at 500k a day.

True - but contact tracing doesn't require testing everyone.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
You are arguing it's an overaction but the same thing can still happen in Wichita and won't have the capacity to treat everyone.

Arguing it would never happen without controls is idiotic

Come on now. That’s pretty silly to say that Wichita is at comparable risk to NYC. We’ve got to start using some common sense here. Hell, even the models at this point seem to be recognizing the greater importance of population density.

Lack of density in say a Wichita also means they have less capacity to handle an outbreak that could break out without monitoring / testing that we didn't have when the lockdowns started (and still don't have).

Blaming "cities" is always fun way to fool yourself in believing "that can't happen here"

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/are-crowded-cities-the-reason-for-the-covid-19-pandemic/

It’s actually the opposite. South Central Kansas (Wichita, Hutch, Newton) has about 5.5 hospital beds per 1,000 capita. NYC is close to 2.5. So Wichita has more than double the bed capacity of NYC.

By contrast, Wichita has a population density of 2,146/sqmi. New York City is 26,403/sqmi. So only a mere 10 times denser.

NYC also has a subway. It fact, the most heavily used mass transit system in the county (I think the world) by far. Wichita doesn’t.

So, to recap:
Wichita: twice the hospital capacity, 10% the density, 0 petri dish subway.
New York City: half the hospital capacity, 1000% density, 1 petri dish subway.

The two cities are not anywhere near comparable. The risk is not anywhere near comparable. The approach should not have been anywhere near comparable.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
So you didn't the link at all about blaming density. Got it

Thanks for the info on hospital capacity. Does that include the surrounding region that counts on those hospital bed?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 07:43:07 PM by Phil Titola »

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I’m not linking the article but apparently dirt bikers took over the skatepark they filled in with sand :dunno:
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
if the numbers are legit, there were ~310,000 new tests today  :love: :love:

They aren’t :(

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
:-(

https://twitter.com/icp/status/1253103845644828675

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Why do you keep posting crap like that in this thread Parody Poster Steve Dave? 

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
So you didn't the link at all about blaming density. Got it

Thanks for the info on hospital capacity. Does that include the surrounding region that counts on those hospital bed?

Derby has a brand new hospital that is begging for funding because it is empty and about to close down.  I would say we are doing fine at this point for hospital beds in the Cancun of the Midwest.
@mikec2w

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
To be fair, the article said they felt Stockholm would be at herd immunity within weeks.  Given their greater deaths and less testing, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that they have had a lot of people infected so far that have not been counted as having been infected.  Also, I believe the outbreak there is greatly concentrated in Stockholm for now.

the article said they estimated 20% of stockholm infected; stockholm has a population of ca. 1m and they have ca. 2k deaths.  so with the caveat given that there is probably a lot of slop in those numbers, it looks like they're on pace for 1% mortality, in the ballpark of what most assume/predict.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Welp! A big corporate attorney I know in KC was just asked to cut 25% of his salary to stay on. “EVERYTHING IS FINE!”- “gE covid reviewers telling you to calm down while traveling and reviewing their crap to move to Vermont.”-sys

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Kansas overreacted.

unless kansas is going to concede defeat and let the virus take it's 1%, kansas didn't overreact.  areas that acted early before the virus grew in incidence have a huge upper hand over areas with large numbers of infected people.  the same (relatively lax) measures that can keep kansas at r = 1.0 will be much cheaper and less people will die.  and kansas will be able to relax into those measure much more quickly than places like the ny metro area can.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Lol,you don’t know crap. eff off.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Agreed, it's crazy that our health care system has a financial incentive to hospitalize as many people as possible

i think that's much more common than not.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
high quality antibody study from switzerland pre-released today.

https://twitter.com/jacquesfellay/status/1252930492262998017

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
estimate for the uk of deaths being 2x reported.  estimates i've seen previously were more in the range of 1.5x.

https://twitter.com/ChrisGiles_/status/1252841436317315072

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
estimate for the uk of deaths being 2x reported.  estimates i've seen previously were more in the range of 1.5x.

https://twitter.com/ChrisGiles_/status/1252841436317315072
I don’t know if that makes sense.  Hasn’t all cause mortality in the US been significantly lower since lockdowns?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
if the numbers are legit, there were ~310,000 new tests today  :love: :love:

They aren’t :(
They’re legit, they just weren’t all conducted today.  California is weird and clears a backlog of tests every couple of weeks.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Hasn’t all cause mortality in the US been significantly lower since lockdowns?

definitely not for ny.  not sure for the us as a whole (may be in the article, i didn't open it), but i kinda don't see how it could be.

https://twitter.com/jshkatz/status/1252559520104144897

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
here's another one for nyc.  they appear to do a good job of accounting for their dead in nyc.

https://twitter.com/TheEconomist/status/1253006502564188161

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Welp! A big corporate attorney I know in KC was just asked to cut 25% of his salary to stay on. “EVERYTHING IS FINE!”- “gE covid reviewers telling you to calm down while traveling and reviewing their crap to move to Vermont.”-sys
Sounds like your friend is shook.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Ohio, Georgia, etc. making strides to open back up. This is amazing news. Living off the government sucks. Let’s rough ridin' go!!!!