Author Topic: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread  (Read 1069792 times)

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Sweden has been distancing. It's just not mandatory. Like some US states.

Pretty lax distancing.  Seems more "do your best"

Sweden didn’t go into lockdown or impose strict social-distancing policies. Instead, it rolled out voluntary, ‘trust-based’ measures: it advised older people to avoid social contact and recommended that people work from home, wash their hands regularly and avoid non-essential travel. But borders and schools for under-16s remain open — as do many businesses, including restaurants and bars.

And they are getting high participation rates. Again, like US states with fewer restrictions.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile

Sweden didn’t go into lockdown or impose strict social-distancing policies. Instead, it rolled out voluntary, ‘trust-based’ measures: it advised older people to avoid social contact and recommended that people work from home, wash their hands regularly and avoid non-essential travel. But borders and schools for under-16s remain open — as do many businesses, including restaurants and bars.

And they are getting high participation rates. Again, like US states with fewer restrictions.

It doesn't seem very difficult for anybody to participate in these requests.  Stores/restaurants/bars still open but work from home?  I'm sure there is more to it than that.  We're going to feel kind of dumb if this works.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile

Are any US schools open?  Are bars allowed to be open anywhere?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

Are any US schools open?  Are bars allowed to be open anywhere?

that was the other interesting assumption Sweden is making. (I'm guessing schools for students over 16 are closed?)

https://twitter.com/olibiermann/status/1252929452578934784

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

It doesn't seem very difficult for anybody to participate in these requests.  Stores/restaurants/bars still open but work from home?  I'm sure there is more to it than that.  We're going to feel kind of dumb if this works.

What are u even talking about?  We’ve already seen what happens if the virus is allowed to spread undeterred in urban centers.  Just shut up. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I can't imagine many NYC residents are going to reflect back on this and think "gee, we should have done less to slow the spread". It'll be different in Wichita

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Someone want to summarize the swede numbers while I am on this zoom call?

18 deaths per million vs. our 7.6
9 per thousand tested vs. our 11
11.5% CFR vs. our 5.5%

but thinking they are at heard immunity "within weeks"

That's the key. Extreme shutdown orders likely help to "flatten the curve," but they also likely prolong the curve. I think Sweden's approach will likely be vindicated. Here's an interesting interview with a key architect of their approach explaining why.

https://unherd.com/thepost/coming-up-epidemiologist-prof-johan-giesecke-shares-lessons-from-sweden/

Also, here's in interesting, simple statistical analysis comparing the states and countries that imposed shutdowns to those that simply recommended less draconian social distancing measures.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/04/22/there-is-no-empirical-evidence-for-these-lockdowns/

and we had to flatten the curve based on the models that our hospitals would be overrun.  Everybody knew that would lengthen the curve too, that's not groundbreaking info.  Guess we'll know if Sweden is vindicated in 18-24 months.  Right now their deaths per million are real high.

I'm not disputing what the models said, but I think with the exception of NYC the models may have way exaggerated the risk of overrunning the healthcare system. One of the many ironies of our response is that census levels have plummeted for a great many hospitals due to these shutdown orders, causing a lot of financial hardship. My wife is under contract and she was still asked to take a voluntary paycut. It's crazy.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile

What are u even talking about?  We’ve already seen what happens if the virus is allowed to spread undeterred in urban centers.  Just shut up.

I tend to agree with you but the Sweden situation interests me as another way a country handled this. 

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Almost 400 fewer deaths reported today than last wednesday.  That's encouraging news.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I can't imagine many NYC residents are going to reflect back on this and think "gee, we should have done less to slow the spread". It'll be different in Wichita

Well yes, but that's kind of the point. Nobody really thinks that actions appropriate for NYC were likewise appropriate for most of the rest of the country, right? There's not much point in arguing in the abstract here. Let's get specific...

Kansas overreacted. We overreacted in shutting down schools for the rest of the year instead of taking a more incremental approach. We overreacted in issuing a one-size-fits-all statewide stay-at-home order when JOCO/WDOT is vastly different from the rest of the state. Our stay-at-home order was probably never going to be necessary or effective anyway given how many "essential" business remained open, but it sure managed to inflict a lot of damage in the meantime. We're looking at a tax revenue shortfall of over a billion dollars this year. Kansas screwed up. And I sympathize with Kelly making some tough decisions at the time, but it doesn't mean we keep going down this road.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
You are arguing it's an overaction but the same thing can still happen in Wichita and won't have the capacity to treat everyone.

Arguing it would never happen without controls is idiotic

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

11.5% CFR vs. our 5.5%

That's the key. Extreme shutdown orders likely help to "flatten the curve," but they also likely prolong the curve. I think Sweden's approach will likely be vindicated. Here's an interesting interview with a key architect of their approach explaining why.

https://unherd.com/thepost/coming-up-epidemiologist-prof-johan-giesecke-shares-lessons-from-sweden/

Also, here's in interesting, simple statistical analysis comparing the states and countries that imposed shutdowns to those that simply recommended less draconian social distancing measures.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/04/22/there-is-no-empirical-evidence-for-these-lockdowns/

and we had to flatten the curve based on the models that our hospitals would be overrun.  Everybody knew that would lengthen the curve too, that's not groundbreaking info.  Guess we'll know if Sweden is vindicated in 18-24 months.  Right now their deaths per million are real high.

I'm not disputing what the models said, but I think with the exception of NYC the models may have way exaggerated the risk of overrunning the healthcare system. One of the many ironies of our response is that census levels have plummeted for a great many hospitals due to these shutdown orders, causing a lot of financial hardship. My wife is under contract and she was still asked to take a voluntary paycut. It's crazy.

Agreed, it's crazy that our health care system has a financial incentive to hospitalize as many people as possible

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

11.5% CFR vs. our 5.5%

Agreed, it's crazy that our health care system has a financial incentive to hospitalize as many people as possible

They’re down bc of a reduction in elective surgeries.  Keyword being elective.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

11.5% CFR vs. our 5.5%

Rusty are you just trolling or being serious? Are you saying endoscopies and knee replacements are frivolous? There is a ton of necessary care being cancelled and delayed because of the shutdown.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
You are arguing it's an overaction but the same thing can still happen in Wichita and won't have the capacity to treat everyone.

Come on now. That’s pretty silly to say that Wichita is at comparable risk to NYC. We’ve got to start using some common sense here. Hell, even the models at this point seem to be recognizing the greater importance of population density.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

11.5% CFR vs. our 5.5%

Rusty are you just trolling or being serious? Are you saying endoscopies and knee replacements are frivolous? There is a ton of necessary care being cancelled and delayed because of the shutdown.

I don't think I said endoscopies and knee replacements are frivolous.

Just checked, turns out I didn't say those things.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile

Come on now. That’s pretty silly to say that Wichita is at comparable risk to NYC. We’ve got to start using some common sense here. Hell, even the models at this point seem to be recognizing the greater importance of population density.

Lack of density in say a Wichita also means they have less capacity to handle an outbreak that could break out without monitoring / testing that we didn't have when the lockdowns started (and still don't have).

Blaming "cities" is always fun way to fool yourself in believing "that can't happen here"

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/are-crowded-cities-the-reason-for-the-covid-19-pandemic/

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
It's up to the states to decide if they want to be thrown under the bus!

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
if the numbers are legit, there were ~310,000 new tests today  :love: :love:

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
Personally, I think 500,000 tests a day should be our floor.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Staggering to think it would take almost two years to test everyone in the US at 500k a day.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best