Author Topic: Kansas- more liberal abortion laws than New York  (Read 11116 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas- more liberal abortion laws than New York
« Reply #350 on: August 05, 2022, 01:52:51 PM »
Could probably be another thread, but name the department we get rid of and I bet a dystopian outcome could easily be explained back.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 05, 2022, 01:53:09 PM »
Did the FDA actually physically prevent mud brains from taking HCQ/ivermectin?

Only to the extent that most doctors aren't mush-brained and follow their advice. A lot of them were taking the horse-grade stuff that you can buy at Tractor Supply.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 05, 2022, 01:53:19 PM »
Could probably be another thread, but name the department we get rid of and I bet a dystopian outcome could easily be explained back.

ICE

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 05, 2022, 01:53:53 PM »

ICE

Border free for all.  Next.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 05, 2022, 01:54:45 PM »

ICE

I was 17 years old when ICE was created, and that wasn't the case then.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 05, 2022, 01:57:02 PM »

ICE

Without googling, I would bet that other departments were handling immigration and customs back then. 

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 05, 2022, 02:02:04 PM »

ICE

Without googling, I would bet that other departments were handling immigration and customs back then.
INS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 05, 2022, 02:08:19 PM »
I went in to my GP a few years ago when I first started doing some different nutrition stuff:

Me: Is too much protein bad for me?  My kidneys? My liver? Anything else?
My GP: Well, you have to have a lot before you have to worry about that.
Me: How much is too much per day?  100g? 200g?
GP: I wouldn't do anything over 150g/day or so.
Me: my trainer has me at 310g/day.  Is that bad?
GP: No, you're probably ok as long as you don't go over that.
Me: ????

The last few years have made me realize that my GP may not know much more than what the drug reps tell him.  He spends around 4-6min per visit with me, speaks extremely fast, and books it before I can speed talk my way through more than 3 or 4 questions.

I don't feel like GPs should be the last line of defense between me, a medical layman, and whatever drug that Pfizer wants to kick out with a cool cartoon commercial and a colorful pamphlet.  If you do, you are not thinking at all.

The above is an anecdote, but I feel like a very similar process could be explained to anyone else who is horny for many of the common Libertarian policies.

I’m not a doctor but I think 310 is way too much Protein.  Is that like 5 chicken breasts and a dozen eggs on top of regular meals?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 05, 2022, 02:17:23 PM »

ICE

INS

Poor michael Hutchence

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 05, 2022, 02:28:31 PM »
Justwin—

I assume you are not a doctor, so why do you trust your GP more than the government? How do you know they are giving you sound advice? Do you look at their qualifications?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: August 05, 2022, 02:36:35 PM »
I thought JW was trying to make a point about abortion but I really think he wants to get rid of the FDA, WILD!

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 05, 2022, 02:38:03 PM »
JustWin, we already have a dax. Get a new gimmick. Thx

Yes, I want to get rid of the FDA and the USDA.   

Don't be one of the resident derps OKC

Aren't you banned from this site for being a terrible talent evaluator?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 05, 2022, 02:38:39 PM »
this thread has delivered and I think it's about to up its game

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 05, 2022, 02:52:45 PM »
I went in to my GP a few years ago when I first started doing some different nutrition stuff:

Me: Is too much protein bad for me?  My kidneys? My liver? Anything else?
My GP: Well, you have to have a lot before you have to worry about that.
Me: How much is too much per day?  100g? 200g?
GP: I wouldn't do anything over 150g/day or so.
Me: my trainer has me at 310g/day.  Is that bad?
GP: No, you're probably ok as long as you don't go over that.
Me: ????

The last few years have made me realize that my GP may not know much more than what the drug reps tell him.  He spends around 4-6min per visit with me, speaks extremely fast, and books it before I can speed talk my way through more than 3 or 4 questions.

I don't feel like GPs should be the last line of defense between me, a medical layman, and whatever drug that Pfizer wants to kick out with a cool cartoon commercial and a colorful pamphlet.  If you do, you are not thinking at all.

The above is an anecdote, but I feel like a very similar process could be explained to anyone else who is horny for many of the common Libertarian policies.

I’m not a doctor but I think 310 is way too much Protein.  Is that like 5 chicken breasts and a dozen eggs on top of regular meals?

Yeah.  turns out that's a lot. 

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 05, 2022, 02:56:01 PM »

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 05, 2022, 03:00:29 PM »
Who were the “both” in “value them both?”

Was it “mothers and babies?”

The Value Them Both Coalition is made up of Kansas citizens and groups who believe every human life has value. We are committed to advocating across our state for the passage of the Value Them Both Amendment to ensure that Kansas can stop unlimited abortion from coming to our state and can continue to pass laws that put the health and safety of mothers and babies before the abortion industry. We are led by Kansas Family Voice (formerly Family Policy Alliance of Kansas), Kansans for Life, and the Kansas Catholic Conference. We welcome the support of all individuals and organizations who hold this goal.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 05, 2022, 03:00:46 PM »
Justwin—

I assume you are not a doctor, so why do you trust your GP more than the government? How do you know they are giving you sound advice? Do you look at their qualifications?

I am not an MD, but I do have a PhD. I also have a degree in biology and went to two years of medical school. I simply don't trust the government. There aren't too many people I trust less than the government.

I take the advice of my GP and my kids' pediatricians and then make a decision myself. I view doctors more as advisors than as an authority I simply follow.

I read the clinical trial articles when they come out if it is something I am interested in. You can't simply take the headlines that come out. For example, there have been articles that come out about how there is no safe level of alcohol for people under 40 or that there is no overall health benefit from alcohol. However, if your look at the details of the studies, a lot of the death and harm impacts come from suicide, motor vehicle accidents and things like TB. I'm not suicidal, don't drink and drive and am not at risk of TB, so the conclusions of the articles don't really apply to me.

I also select physicians that have low prescription rates. You can find this information out from pharmacists. The pediatrician we went to in Little Rock while we lived there had the lowest prescription rate in the city. If a physician's first response is to prescribe a drug or do a procedure, we'll find a new doctor.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 05, 2022, 03:16:44 PM »

Justwin—

I am not an MD, but I do have a PhD. I also have a degree in biology and went to two years of medical school. I simply don't trust the government. There aren't too many people I trust less than the government.

I assume you have only attended and worked for private institutions?

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 05, 2022, 03:16:58 PM »
tbf, the fda has been making a pretty good case for getting rid of itself over the last few years.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 05, 2022, 03:44:59 PM »
tbf, the fda has been making a pretty good case for getting rid of itself over the last few years.

Let's value them both and not just throw the baby out with the bath water!

Online cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 05, 2022, 03:53:55 PM »

ICE

INS

Department of Homeland Security is my answer. I hate all the umbrella things it holds
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 03:59:46 PM by cfbandyman »
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 05, 2022, 04:27:32 PM »

Justwin—

Nope. Not sure why you would assume that.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 05, 2022, 04:40:26 PM »
If you won't tax an organization that will illegally spam text people outright lies about an abortion bill on the ballot then you won't tax anyone. 

My company does lots of good stuff and when it does, there is a charitable exemption from tax for those funds.  The catholic archdiocese in KC occupies one of the most ornate buildings in the midwest.  That money could have gone to orphans instead of spam text misinformation schemes
You know, the Catholic Church in KC does do a lot of great things for the poor.  Food pantries, shelters, clothes, support systems...all sorts of things right here in kc.  I doubt there's many bigger charitable bodies in the KC metro than the Catholic Church.

Catholics (and the Church) view the legality of abortion as a terrible thing, and I don't think there's anything at all inconsistent about allocating resources to fight against that in the only way they can*.  You can do multiple things at once.

*to the extent the Church orchestrated or was had any real role in the text thing, that's bad and worthy of criticism.

I don't think paying taxes would prevent them from doing any of that.

yes, loving this talking point that if the church had to pay taxes they would be flat broke and have no funds available to help the community
Nobody made that point or came close to making that point.

stone (and several others): the church should be taxed
dlew using the quote function referencing on the afore mentioned post: <points out all the good things the church does for the community.>

if your response to the suggestion of the church being taxed is to remind everyone of all the good things the church does for the community, then yes, dlew12, you are quite clearly making that sort of implication. That by having to pay taxes it will have some meaninful impact on their ability to provide services and outreach to the community. And yes, i realize you did not technically say those very words but this isn't an FBI sting where we have to wait for you to say the exact imcriminating words before we break through the door. I have a functioning human brain that has the capacity to infer meaning.

I realize you might be feeling a bit defensive right now as several posters ITT (as well as the super majority population of the state of KS) have rebuked your viewpoint on this matter, but let's dispatch with the semantics, shall we?
I’m not being defensive.  You misunderstood my point and then doubled down on it.

Stone said the Catholic Church should help the poor/orphans instead of buying real estate and ornate buildings and supporting certain political efforts.  I said you know what? The Catholic Church does do a lot to help the poor.  And that entities can allocate money towards multiple worthy causes (in their view) at the same time.  That’s it.

It’s a fairly common talking point (especially right now) that “why doesn’t the Church help people instead of meddling in politics?”  All I was pointing out is that the church does a rough ridin' ton to help poor people.  I think that’s something worth keeping in mind amid all the criticism.  I think that gets lost sometimes.

W/R/T taxes, Idk how many times I’ve said it ITT, but if we want to tax non profits (or some neutral segment of nonprofits) that’s fine with me but I feel like that maybe is going to have some unintended consequences.

To your point (that I didn’t make and wouldn’t make): Would a tax impact things and be detrimental to the charitable effort?  Obviously.  Would it bankrupt the Church?  Obviously not.  Would it bankrupt some other churches?  Maybe?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 04:59:53 PM by DQ12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 05, 2022, 05:11:32 PM »

Justwin—

Nope. Not sure why you would assume that.

Because you hate the government so much!

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 05, 2022, 05:43:47 PM »
If you won't tax an organization that will illegally spam text people outright lies about an abortion bill on the ballot then you won't tax anyone. 

My company does lots of good stuff and when it does, there is a charitable exemption from tax for those funds.  The catholic archdiocese in KC occupies one of the most ornate buildings in the midwest.  That money could have gone to orphans instead of spam text misinformation schemes
You know, the Catholic Church in KC does do a lot of great things for the poor.  Food pantries, shelters, clothes, support systems...all sorts of things right here in kc.  I doubt there's many bigger charitable bodies in the KC metro than the Catholic Church.

Catholics (and the Church) view the legality of abortion as a terrible thing, and I don't think there's anything at all inconsistent about allocating resources to fight against that in the only way they can*.  You can do multiple things at once.

*to the extent the Church orchestrated or was had any real role in the text thing, that's bad and worthy of criticism.

I don't think paying taxes would prevent them from doing any of that.

yes, loving this talking point that if the church had to pay taxes they would be flat broke and have no funds available to help the community
Nobody made that point or came close to making that point.

stone (and several others): the church should be taxed
dlew using the quote function referencing on the afore mentioned post: <points out all the good things the church does for the community.>

if your response to the suggestion of the church being taxed is to remind everyone of all the good things the church does for the community, then yes, dlew12, you are quite clearly making that sort of implication. That by having to pay taxes it will have some meaninful impact on their ability to provide services and outreach to the community. And yes, i realize you did not technically say those very words but this isn't an FBI sting where we have to wait for you to say the exact imcriminating words before we break through the door. I have a functioning human brain that has the capacity to infer meaning.

I realize you might be feeling a bit defensive right now as several posters ITT (as well as the super majority population of the state of KS) have rebuked your viewpoint on this matter, but let's dispatch with the semantics, shall we?
I’m not being defensive.  You misunderstood my point and then doubled down on it.

Stone said the Catholic Church should help the poor/orphans instead of buying real estate and ornate buildings and supporting certain political efforts.  I said you know what? The Catholic Church does do a lot to help the poor.  And that entities can allocate money towards multiple worthy causes (in their view) at the same time.  That’s it.

It’s a fairly common talking point (especially right now) that “why doesn’t the Church help people instead of meddling in politics?”  All I was pointing out is that the church does a rough ridin' ton to help poor people.  I think that’s something worth keeping in mind amid all the criticism.  I think that gets lost sometimes.

W/R/T taxes, Idk how many times I’ve said it ITT, but if we want to tax non profits (or some neutral segment of nonprofits) that’s fine with me but I feel like that maybe is going to have some unintended consequences.

To your point (that I didn’t make and wouldn’t make): Would a tax impact things and be detrimental to the charitable effort?  Obviously.  Would it bankrupt the Church?  Obviously not.  Would it bankrupt some other churches?  Maybe?

Let's play conference realignment: denominational edition!