Author Topic: Kansas- more liberal abortion laws than New York  (Read 11389 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas- more liberal abortion laws than New York
« Reply #300 on: August 05, 2022, 01:47:37 AM »
The nice thing about the law being the way that it is is that the doctor can tell the patient exactly what the risk factors are and then the patient can decide for herself if she wants to accept those risks.

The other nice thing is in a democracy the church in one of the most conservative states in our entire union got put in their place by the voters/citizens.  Their abhorrent tricks couldn’t even scare the voters.

Tax em.  Tax em in their proper bracket

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 05, 2022, 08:36:31 AM »
The nice thing about the law being the way that it is is that the doctor can tell the patient exactly what the risk factors are and then the patient can decide for herself if she wants to accept those risks.

The other nice thing is in a democracy the church in one of the most conservative states in our entire union got put in their place by the voters/citizens.  Their abhorrent tricks couldn’t even scare the voters.

Tax em.  Tax em in their proper bracket

I think this would probably also pass as a referendum to the public, but unfortunately the representatives we elect routinely vote for the opposite of what people actually want.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 05, 2022, 08:37:02 AM »
The "tax the church" stuff doesn't really make sense to me.  They're non-profits. 

Is the plan to tax all 501(c)s (seems bad?) or just carve out churches?   

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 05, 2022, 08:41:34 AM »
The "tax the church" stuff doesn't really make sense to me.  They're non-profits. 

Is the plan to tax all 501(c)s (seems bad?) or just carve out churches?
Carve out churches and an absolute shitload of BS 501(c) organizations. We are way too lenient in our allowances there. Could find massive amounts of actual beneficial things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 05, 2022, 08:43:33 AM »
Churches that could still justify themselves as a charity would still qualify. Just get rid of the language that makes them automatically exempt.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 05, 2022, 08:44:06 AM »
this is going to sound made up because of how moderate I am but I am moderate on abortion. I am pro-life with a wide range of exceptions. I wouldn't want those exceptions to be determined by the Ronny rough ridin' Ryckman's (massive downgrade from meade, ks in a long family of massive rough ridin' downgrades) of the world.

This is exactly where I am at on this deal. 
@mikec2w

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 05, 2022, 08:45:48 AM »
I’m very torn on taxing churches, because I worked at a church as a side gig for a little while and saw a lot of great things being done in public and behind the scenes, but also a lot of waste.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 05, 2022, 08:46:28 AM »
the mormon church is sitting on $100b of tax free gold coins in a scrooge mcduck gold coin vault
the church of scientology rakes tax free
the pope shits on a solid gold toilet

none of these places should be exempt from taxes just because they've built tremendous pyramid schemes. they should be taxed like any other multi level marketer.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 05, 2022, 08:47:09 AM »
I’m very torn on taxing churches, because I worked at a church as a side gig for a little while and saw a lot of great things being done in public and behind the scenes, but also a lot of waste.

yeah, my company does a shitload of really great stuff for the community as well. and we pay taxes like everyone else.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 05, 2022, 08:48:20 AM »
Anyone who gives money to a political campaign should be paying taxes, regardless of whatever else they do.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 05, 2022, 08:50:52 AM »
Anyone who gives money to a political campaign should be paying taxes, regardless of whatever else they do.

yeah, the fact that anyone can avoid paying any taxes and turn around and meddle in politics with their tax free hoard is baffling.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 05, 2022, 08:52:54 AM »
Joel Osteen ministries is a pretty glaring example of why churches should be taxed.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 05, 2022, 08:56:27 AM »
Shades of gray, my friends

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 05, 2022, 09:00:50 AM »
Imagine all of the good that could have been done for the poor and needy if the millions of dollars the church threw away on the Value them Both campaign would have gone to the government instead.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 05, 2022, 09:03:44 AM »
Imagine all of the good that could have been done for the poor and needy if the millions of dollars the church threw away on the Value them Both campaign would have gone to the government instead.
Lol

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: August 05, 2022, 09:50:05 AM »
If you won't tax an organization that will illegally spam text people outright lies about an abortion bill on the ballot then you won't tax anyone. 

My company does lots of good stuff and when it does, there is a charitable exemption from tax for those funds.  The catholic archdiocese in KC occupies one of the most ornate buildings in the midwest.  That money could have gone to orphans instead of spam text misinformation schemes

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 05, 2022, 09:54:07 AM »
haha!

If we want to tax nonprofits that gives money to political campaigns, fine with me.  Gonna be a bad day for a lot of nonprofits if that's the case though.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 05, 2022, 10:01:32 AM »
If you won't tax an organization that will illegally spam text people outright lies about an abortion bill on the ballot then you won't tax anyone. 

My company does lots of good stuff and when it does, there is a charitable exemption from tax for those funds.  The catholic archdiocese in KC occupies one of the most ornate buildings in the midwest.  That money could have gone to orphans instead of spam text misinformation schemes

I know a bunch of churches aren't anything like this.  I work with a crap ton of churches and most of them are housed in some form of a very old building in disrepair or a newer metal building with bare bones stuff inside.  I have no doubt that most of these places are scratching and clawing to make crap better for their community and I honestly think very highly of them for it. 

The Catholic church on the other hand...

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 05, 2022, 10:02:30 AM »

You know, the Catholic Church in KC does do a lot of great things for the poor.  Food pantries, shelters, clothes, support systems...all sorts of things right here in kc.  I doubt there's many bigger charitable bodies in the KC metro than the Catholic Church.

Catholics (and the Church) view the legality of abortion as a terrible thing, and I don't think there's anything at all inconsistent about allocating resources to fight against that in the only way they can*.  You can do multiple things at once.

*to the extent the Church orchestrated or was had any real role in the text thing, that's bad and worthy of criticism.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 05, 2022, 10:04:10 AM »

You know, the Catholic Church in KC does do a lot of great things for the poor.  Food pantries, shelters, clothes, support systems...all sorts of things right here in kc.  I doubt there's many bigger charitable bodies in the KC metro than the Catholic Church.

Catholics (and the Church) view the legality of abortion as a terrible thing, and I don't think there's anything at all inconsistent about allocating resources to fight against that in the only way they can.  You can do multiple things at once.
Can co

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 05, 2022, 10:11:50 AM »

Catholics (and the Church) view the legality of abortion as a terrible thing, and I don't think there's anything at all inconsistent about allocating resources to fight against that in the only way they can*.  You can do multiple things at once.

*to the extent the Church orchestrated or was had any real role in the text thing, that's bad and worthy of criticism.

I don't think paying taxes would prevent them from doing any of that.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 05, 2022, 10:22:17 AM »

Sure.  They'd be able to do less of that stuff, but yeah.  If we want to tax non-profits who donate money to political efforts, that's something we can definitely do.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 05, 2022, 10:24:42 AM »

yes, loving this talking point that if the church had to pay taxes they would be flat broke and have no funds available to help the community

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 05, 2022, 10:26:31 AM »

yes, loving this talking point that if the church had to pay taxes they would be flat broke and have no funds available to help the community
Nobody made that point or came close to making that point.