Author Topic: Kansas- more liberal abortion laws than New York  (Read 11123 times)

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas- more liberal abortion laws than New York
« Reply #325 on: August 05, 2022, 11:24:34 AM »
It’s almost like people should leave doctoring to doctors and get their self-righteous asses somewhere else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. Get rid of the FDA!

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 05, 2022, 11:25:09 AM »
The "tax the church" stuff doesn't really make sense to me.  They're non-profits. 

Is the plan to tax all 501(c)s (seems bad?) or just carve out churches?
Carve out churches and an absolute shitload of BS 501(c) organizations. We are way too lenient in our allowances there. Could find massive amounts of actual beneficial things.

Either tax them all or tax none.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 05, 2022, 11:26:34 AM »
Why would anyone want to get rid of the FDA?  Reform it maybe, but getting rid of it is strange.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 05, 2022, 11:31:59 AM »
Why would anyone want to get rid of the FDA?  Reform it maybe, but getting rid of it is strange.

Why would we need the government interfering with drugs my doctor would like to prescribe me? Or medical devices they want to put in me?

We could also get rid of the USDA and all of their ridiculous regulations on meat and dairy. My body, my choice!

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 05, 2022, 11:34:05 AM »

Why would we need the government interfering with drugs my doctor would like to prescribe me? Or medical devices they want to put in me?

We could also get rid of the USDA and all of their ridiculous regulations on meat and dairy. My body, my choice!

I'm glad you don't vote.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
Kansas- more liberal abortion laws than New York
« Reply #330 on: August 05, 2022, 11:36:10 AM »
JustWin, we already have a dax. Get a new gimmick. Thx

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 05, 2022, 11:38:48 AM »
If you won't tax an organization that will illegally spam text people outright lies about an abortion bill on the ballot then you won't tax anyone. 

My company does lots of good stuff and when it does, there is a charitable exemption from tax for those funds.  The catholic archdiocese in KC occupies one of the most ornate buildings in the midwest.  That money could have gone to orphans instead of spam text misinformation schemes
You know, the Catholic Church in KC does do a lot of great things for the poor.  Food pantries, shelters, clothes, support systems...all sorts of things right here in kc.  I doubt there's many bigger charitable bodies in the KC metro than the Catholic Church.

Catholics (and the Church) view the legality of abortion as a terrible thing, and I don't think there's anything at all inconsistent about allocating resources to fight against that in the only way they can*.  You can do multiple things at once.

*to the extent the Church orchestrated or was had any real role in the text thing, that's bad and worthy of criticism.

They could do even more without the insane real estate they own and continue to buy, couldn't they?
I won't discuss the abuse suits and the completely tax free billion dollar coverup, but...

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 05, 2022, 12:31:52 PM »

I'm glad you don't vote.

I vote.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 05, 2022, 12:32:01 PM »

Yes, I want to get rid of the FDA and the USDA.   

Don't be one of the resident derps OKC

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 05, 2022, 12:36:22 PM »

Yes, I want to get rid of the FDA and the USDA.   

Don't be one of the resident derps OKC

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 05, 2022, 12:36:58 PM »

I would 100% get rid of the USDA, especially the regulations on raw milk, the ability to purchase meat from a non-USDA inspected facility across state lines and the ability to purchase meat from a farmer that slaughters and processes an animal herself. This would require some changes at the state level as well in most cases, but the federal regulations are a good place to start. I'm not sure why you think this is a gimmick. I hope that Thomas Massie's PRIME Act is passed at some point.

I also think the FDA should have a much more limited scope in their ability to restrict the prescription of drugs. If my doctor and I agree that the risks are worth the potential benefit, my doctor should be allowed to prescribe something to me, regardless of whether the FDA has approved the drug or not.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 05, 2022, 12:51:22 PM »

Long proud history of people fighting the good fight against the FDA and medical boards standing between doctors and patients.

Kansas' very own John R. Brinkley.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 05, 2022, 01:03:30 PM »

Long proud history of people fighting the good fight against the FDA and medical boards standing between doctors and patients.

Kansas' very own John R. Brinkley.

If people are that dumb, then they're that dumb. Why should their idiocy limit what I can do?

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 05, 2022, 01:07:05 PM »
How are university AD’s classified in the non profit world? Just make sure SD knows so when he chops it all up he leaves them in.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 05, 2022, 01:08:13 PM »
Which drug is it that the FDA isn't letting you take, Justwin?

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 05, 2022, 01:13:47 PM »

There are none right now. I try to not take any drugs, prescription or OTC. That doesn't mean there couldn't be an issue in the future. I have known others that have wanted to take cancer treatments they were not allowed to because it wasn't approved yet.

What abortion would you have been prevented in getting if VTB passed and abortion was subsequently banned?

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 05, 2022, 01:16:02 PM »
How are university AD’s classified in the non profit world? Just make sure SD knows so when he chops it all up he leaves them in.

They are more limited as non-profits these days. If you have a contribution requirement for your tickets, I'm pretty sure those are no longer tax deductible. Other general contributions may be tax deductible, though.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 05, 2022, 01:25:13 PM »

There are none right now. I try to not take any drugs, prescription or OTC. That doesn't mean there couldn't be an issue in the future. I have known others that have wanted to take cancer treatments they were not allowed to because it wasn't approved yet.

What abortion would you have been prevented in getting if VTB passed and abortion was subsequently banned?

I'm more concerned that my brain might start rotting away when I get older and maybe I'd do something stupid like taking ivermectin to stop myself from catching covid because I read about it on facebook.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 05, 2022, 01:25:25 PM »
If you won't tax an organization that will illegally spam text people outright lies about an abortion bill on the ballot then you won't tax anyone. 

My company does lots of good stuff and when it does, there is a charitable exemption from tax for those funds.  The catholic archdiocese in KC occupies one of the most ornate buildings in the midwest.  That money could have gone to orphans instead of spam text misinformation schemes
You know, the Catholic Church in KC does do a lot of great things for the poor.  Food pantries, shelters, clothes, support systems...all sorts of things right here in kc.  I doubt there's many bigger charitable bodies in the KC metro than the Catholic Church.

Catholics (and the Church) view the legality of abortion as a terrible thing, and I don't think there's anything at all inconsistent about allocating resources to fight against that in the only way they can*.  You can do multiple things at once.

*to the extent the Church orchestrated or was had any real role in the text thing, that's bad and worthy of criticism.

I don't think paying taxes would prevent them from doing any of that.

yes, loving this talking point that if the church had to pay taxes they would be flat broke and have no funds available to help the community
Nobody made that point or came close to making that point.

stone (and several others): the church should be taxed
dlew using the quote function referencing on the afore mentioned post: <points out all the good things the church does for the community.>

if your response to the suggestion of the church being taxed is to remind everyone of all the good things the church does for the community, then yes, dlew12, you are quite clearly making that sort of implication. That by having to pay taxes it will have some meaninful impact on their ability to provide services and outreach to the community. And yes, i realize you did not technically say those very words but this isn't an FBI sting where we have to wait for you to say the exact imcriminating words before we break through the door. I have a functioning human brain that has the capacity to infer meaning.

I realize you might be feeling a bit defensive right now as several posters ITT (as well as the super majority population of the state of KS) have rebuked your viewpoint on this matter, but let's dispatch with the semantics, shall we?

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 05, 2022, 01:30:20 PM »

I'm more concerned that my brain might start rotting away when I get older and maybe I'd do something stupid like taking ivermectin to stop myself from catching covid because I read about it on facebook.

If my brain were rotting away, I am completely unconcerned about that. If you're concerned about that, make sure now that you get a doctor that won't prescribe that for you. I don't view the government's job as trying to protect me from my own stupidity. And overall, even if I believed that was the government's job, as many do, I think they do a poor job of it.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: August 05, 2022, 01:31:08 PM »
I went in to my GP a few years ago when I first started doing some different nutrition stuff:

Me: Is too much protein bad for me?  My kidneys? My liver? Anything else?
My GP: Well, you have to have a lot before you have to worry about that.
Me: How much is too much per day?  100g? 200g?
GP: I wouldn't do anything over 150g/day or so.
Me: my trainer has me at 310g/day.  Is that bad?
GP: No, you're probably ok as long as you don't go over that.
Me: ????

The last few years have made me realize that my GP may not know much more than what the drug reps tell him.  He spends around 4-6min per visit with me, speaks extremely fast, and books it before I can speed talk my way through more than 3 or 4 questions.

I don't feel like GPs should be the last line of defense between me, a medical layman, and whatever drug that Pfizer wants to kick out with a cool cartoon commercial and a colorful pamphlet.  If you do, you are not thinking at all.

The above is an anecdote, but I feel like a very similar process could be explained to anyone else who is horny for many of the common Libertarian policies.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 05, 2022, 01:35:06 PM »
I went in to my GP a few years ago when I first started doing some different nutrition stuff:

Me: Is too much protein bad for me?  My kidneys? My liver? Anything else?
My GP: Well, you have to have a lot before you have to worry about that.
Me: How much is too much per day?  100g? 200g?
GP: I wouldn't do anything over 150g/day or so.
Me: my trainer has me at 310g/day.  Is that bad?
GP: No, you're probably ok as long as you don't go over that.
Me: ????

The last few years have made me realize that my GP may not know much more than what the drug reps tell him.  He spends around 4-6min per visit with me, speaks extremely fast, and books it before I can speed talk my way through more than 3 or 4 questions.

I don't feel like GPs should be the last line of defense between me, a medical layman, and whatever drug that Pfizer wants to kick out with a cool cartoon commercial and a colorful pamphlet.  If you do, you are not thinking at all.

The above is an anecdote, but I feel like a very similar process could be explained to anyone else who is horny for many of the common Libertarian policies.

Maybe the solution is to find a new GP. I trust my GP 100x more than I trust the government.

I don't think the government should be a line of defense between me, not a medical layman, and whatever drug that Pfizer wants to kick out with a cool cartoon commercial and a colorful pamphlet. If you wanted, you could keep the FDA around to still "approve" drugs, but take away their authority to prevent prescription of "unapproved" drugs.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 05, 2022, 01:42:19 PM »
Your GP isn't running a lab to test all of the drugs that get sent out, and he isn't reading all of the trial results because there wouldn't be enough time in the day to see patients. He's completely reliant on the FDA to assure him that drugs are safe and effective.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 05, 2022, 01:47:57 PM »
Did the FDA actually physically prevent mud brains from taking HCQ/ivermectin?

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 05, 2022, 01:49:28 PM »
Getting rid of most of the departments is good imo.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.