Author Topic: 2020 (non-presidential) elections stuff  (Read 29522 times)

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 (non-presidential) elections stuff
« Reply #400 on: November 06, 2020, 07:59:08 AM »
i think it would be stressful to live in a state where your vote mattered

what a terrible burden

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 06, 2020, 08:00:51 AM »
i think it would be stressful to live in a state where your vote mattered

what a terrible burden

it actually rules

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 06, 2020, 09:54:21 AM »
I'm guessing the reason she was in a close election has less to do about what activists say and think and more about she's the type to blame others for her nearly losing.

it was a close election because she represents a (slightly) red district.

I think you need to tell Abby Spanbarger this, she's the one blaming activists, not me.
AOC not having it

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1324694301234921474

https://twitter.com/studentactivism/status/1324739669821661186
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 09:57:34 AM by michigancat »

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 06, 2020, 10:31:27 AM »
Kelly wins AZ
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: November 06, 2020, 03:11:58 PM »
it would be great if we could get all prominent dem politicians together and force them to listen to david shor for an hour or two (i definitely include beto in that group, love the guy, but some of his theories of change are empirically wrong).

https://twitter.com/davidshor/status/1324693070122831877
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: November 06, 2020, 03:34:41 PM »
it would be great if we could get all prominent dem politicians together and force them to listen to david shor for an hour or two (i definitely include beto in that group, love the guy, but some of his theories of change are empirically wrong).

https://twitter.com/davidshor/status/1324693070122831877

AOC posting what "defund the police" means to her on an IG story is a bit of a stretch example. If anything she's listening to him by not making it a central issue, but she's able to do that without completely alienating activists who support it.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: November 06, 2020, 03:38:48 PM »
Also, this is a pretty bad take. Plenty of moral issues start off being unpopular with the general public

https://twitter.com/davidshor/status/1324689733096771585

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 06, 2020, 04:02:16 PM »
Also, this is a pretty bad take. Plenty of moral issues start off being unpopular with the general public

shor has presented evidence that politicians taking up unpopular causes (that are slowly gaining in popularity) not only risks electoral consequence but slows the progress of the cause by making it partisan.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 06, 2020, 04:18:50 PM »

shor has presented evidence that politicians taking up unpopular causes (that are slowly gaining in popularity) not only risks electoral consequence but slows the progress of the cause by making it partisan.

I'm sure he has. However I think he underestimates the ability of human politicians to communicate with other humans with some degree of nuance.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 06, 2020, 04:22:59 PM »
i think he's suggesting that they should do exactly that.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 06, 2020, 04:24:43 PM »
i think he's suggesting that the should do that.
That's what AOC is doing. He's suggesting she has a moral obligation completely disown "defund the police" activists, which I'm not even sure are that prevalent right now.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: November 06, 2020, 04:41:13 PM »
Naming a movement "defund the police" doesn't allow for much nuance. If you want to have a conversation about nuance, you should come up with a better name.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: November 06, 2020, 04:47:57 PM »
That's what AOC is doing. He's suggesting she has a moral obligation completely disown "defund the police" activists, which I'm not even sure are that prevalent right now.

yeah, i think his idea of a nuanced communication is more along the lines of "of course i don't want to defund the police, our communities need to be protected, we need effective and fair police forces, and by the way, most police officers are fair, but we also need to end this practice of xxxx and reform yyyy and hold law enforcement accountable for zzzz" that most dem pols used and not so much "let me explain to you idiots why defund doesn't mean defund".

that this slogan has already mostly died out on it's own in like four months should serve as evidence of how flawed it was.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 06, 2020, 04:48:26 PM »
Naming a movement "defund the police" doesn't allow for much nuance. If you want to have a conversation about nuance, you should come up with a better name.
Yes. This is why AOC, a very smart politician, never says it.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: November 06, 2020, 04:50:59 PM »

yeah, i think his idea of a nuanced communication is more along the lines of "of course i don't want to defund the police, our communities need to be protected, we need effective and fair police forces, and by the way, most police officers are fair, but we also need to end this practice of xxxx and reform yyyy and hold law enforcement accountable for zzzz" that most dem pols used and not so much "let me explain to you idiots why defund doesn't mean defund".

I don't think so, he's a robot

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: November 06, 2020, 05:09:43 PM »

This is why AOC, a very smart politician, never says it.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/505307-ocasio-cortez-dismisses-proposed-1b-cut-defunding-police-means-defunding

It's nowhere on her Twitter, shor had to find a screenshot of an IG story, and I can't find the full statement anywhere. Also "Never" was said with nuance.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: November 06, 2020, 05:24:08 PM »
Sys have you seen any Shor polling takes yet? Saw some graph on his Twitter but wasn't very explanatory.

i haven't seen him comment post election but before the election he was pushing the idea that 2016 polling error was due to non-response bias from low social trust individuals and that he didn't think weighting for education was sufficient to correct that bias.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 06, 2020, 08:00:30 PM »
My God, this is a reminder of why I hate democrats. There's a debate about a 31 year old democrat having actual beliefs that a lot of democrats her age has. She hasn't been jaded by Washington yet and these dumb fucks can't handle it.

Republicans embrace some wildly radical positions and own them. No one thinks the military should be funded at the levels in which we do. No one is in favor of the border separation policy. No one wants to lose their social security. No one wants federal minimum wage to sit at $7.25. Abolishing of Roe vs. Wade is a radical position. Removing protections for pre-existing conditions is a radical position. On and on and on. The problem with the democratic party is exactly what the republicans say it is. It's a party in which the decision makers are white, comfortable, elitist eggheads, completely out of touch with what people actually want. It's a party with no soul and that's exactly what they want, their policy is driven by pollsters and beltway policy wonks. I swear to god, I'll never vote for a bland, moderate, safe democrat ever ever again. If Stephen Miller ran for president and I had the ability to either tie or break a tie for the whole thing between him and a moderate dem, I'm writing in Fred Hampton Jr.

If this leads to 4 more years of Obama era leadership, I will spend the rest of my natural life hoping for the demise of the democratic party.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: November 06, 2020, 08:31:04 PM »
I hear you brother.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: November 07, 2020, 12:34:34 PM »
honestly, it's hard to care when they don't have the senate.  oh, it's gonna be harder to pass messaging bills?  who gives a eff.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: November 07, 2020, 01:03:46 PM »
Well you can bet a Republican house would hemorrhage money investigating Burisma for literally as long as they’re in control.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: November 07, 2020, 01:06:36 PM »
Another screed.  Amazing

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: November 09, 2020, 12:11:05 AM »
most of the senate races were doomed when biden's support ended up being 3-4 points behind the polling average.  but maine is totally different.  amazing overperformance by collins.

https://twitter.com/JMilesColeman/status/1325674076011159552